Gospel Karaoke

Isn’t gospel karaoke just another way of saying “Sunday morning special at church”? I didn’t git a chance to practuss so y’all listen to the words and not the way I sing and let this bless your heart like it does me.

Update: Comment worth promoting, from “Kyle”: “I thought that’s what the majority (okay, pretty much ALL) SG acts use today as their band….”

Comments

1. Kyle wrote:

2. Lacey wrote:

I don’t know Kyle. Surely at least some of the big names aren’t watching a little bouncy ball to see when they are supposed to sing??? lol I don’t know which annoys me more… The special being done while the singer stumbles through squinting at the words or the powers that be throwing new words to old songs at the entire congregation for them to kill slowly. But let’s just put it this way, this past Sunday morning was torture for me to listen to at church! The little bouncy ball might have helped!!!

3. sogospelbaritone wrote:

Lacy wrote: “Surely at least some of the big names aren’t watching a little bouncy ball to see when they are supposed to sing???”

The only time I see that is @ a Gaither concert.

4. Jim2 wrote:

Hey songwriters! Are you getting paid your royalties on these?

5. JimT wrote:

I’m with Kyle. I see little difference between karaoke and today’s typical sg concert. It’s one of the things that is killing my love for this music.

6. jb wrote:

I guess I don’t understand why you get hung up on “karaoke” used for Sunday morning special. I don’t call it “karaoke”. For people like myself and my husband, I feel it is a blessing to be able to use soundtracks. We have a small church and a small congregation, but, we love sg music. We sing from the little red hymnals and not off the wall. We still sing about the “blood” and the “resurrection”. I am fortunate to be going this week to hear BF and Assurance, The Hoppers, and Greater Vision all in one venue and I know, for the most part , soundtracks will be used. Who really cares. It’s about the Lord and not if there is a full band on stage.

7. bp wrote:

JB,

Does that mean that people that sing “off the wall” don’t sing about the blood or resurrection of Christ?

8. jb wrote:

bp, please don’t emply something that wasn’t said. I was just stating what we do in our little church.

9. sm wrote:

I’ll be the first to admit trax or band is about as much personal preference as hymn book vs praise and worship. I’ll also be the first to admit pathetic economy is making a band hard to afford. But since it’s my $15-$25 bill and I can spend it however I want, I’ll buy a band every time.

I’m with Kyle, really. The only thing that separates a trax concert from radio is that pathetic emcee work and cheesy overused jokes replace annoying advertisements. Yeah, you still get a lot of that in band concert, and a lot of full bands even use loops and fill trax to fatten the sound (even in secular music, rumor has it), but I’d rather be tricked into thinking that the “live” atmosphere is genuine/accurate and the music is created in front of my face than have all doubt removed.

Is it sad to already be having Crabb Family withdrawals?