OT: Sandi Patty in the Macy’s Day Parade

I’m working with my back to the television and I hear this singer’s voice on the Macy’s Day parade and think “Wow that woman sounds a lot like Sandi Patty … singing a really schlocky song about Oklahoma rising.” I turn around and lo … SANDI PATTY herself … headlining the float from her home state. No more a fan of her hair than I am that song, but who knows what hours on an open-air float in the November weather of downtown Manhattan will do to your doo. But she was as radiant as ever. If you’re not a Sandinista, so to speak, this probably doesn’t matter much. However, for those of us who thought she brought with her a revolution in music and show(o)manship to Christian entertainment in the 80s and 90s, she’s rather like a Christian Cher or Madonna - a diva whose star has been eclipsed by descendants of a style she herself pioneered.

Comments

1. David Bruce Murray wrote:

I’d still rather hear Sandi Patty than some of the female/girl singers who have come along since she blazed the trail. We don’t have classically trained vocalists in Christian music any more…in fact, the emphasis has been put on presenting an “honest” or “real” sound to the point that it’s almost considered a strike against a singer if they actually know specific techniques for getting the most out of their voice.

2. Joe wrote:

Perhaps most Christians would rather hear “some of the female/girl singers who have come along since she blazed the trail”, because their Christian lives, spiritual character, and public testimonies have not gone down the trail that Sandi blazed. No question she had a once-in-a-lifetime voice. But most Christians would still feel God requires that you need the consistently lived lifetime to validate the classically trained voice.

3. Joe wrote:

Perhaps most Christians would rather hear “some of the female/girl singers who have come along since she “blazed the trail”, because their Christian lives, spiritual character, and public testimonies have not gone down the trail that Sandi blazed. No question she had a once-in-a-lifetime voice. But most Christians would still feel God requires that you need the consistently lived lifetime to validate the classically trained voice.

4. Will wrote:

Joe,

I’m glad that David’s Psalms weren’t tossed aside and not included in the Bible because of the stupid mistakes he made…or that Peter wasn’t allowed to preach at the day of Pentacost, because he flipped out and denied Christ and cursed His name when the pressure came…I’m glad that one of the most gifted vocalists in the history of music hasn’t been put out to pasture, because of sin in her life that she has received forgiveness of. Please stop using the internet to throw stones at people. Use the time you are doing that to pray for those you are blasting and also pray that you never have to regret stupid mistakes that you’ve made.

5. Rosie wrote:

I was very happy to see the positive comments about Sandi on this site. She is involved with the Women of Faith Conferences now and is also headlining her Christmas Tour. She has her own website. I don’t know how to hyperlink, but it is sandipatty.com

6. Chrystal wrote:

Joe said: “But most Christians would still feel God requires that you need the consistently lived lifetime to validate the classically trained voice.”

What??? God requires that you need the consistently lived lifetime to validate the voice? So, only those with no faults, failures, or sins to their charge can sing gospel? Then that pretty much disqualifies every single singer and minister on this planet, as well as layperson. Know why? Because ALL have sinned and come short of God’s glory…we are all sinners, and we all continue to sin, though we strive not to. He knew we would, that’s why He sent His Son. He knew we would need a GREAT Savior.

The only one who would be righteous enough to sing by those standards is Jesus Christ Himself.

7. judi wrote:

Concerning her performance in the Macy’s parade (which I missed, because I was baking a pecan pie for Thanksgiving Dinner) Sandi Patty is a native Oklahoman, or Okie, as am I, and that “schlocky” song, Oklahoma Rising, was written by Vince Gill and Jimmy Webb for the Oklahoma Centennial, observance of which started this month and will gallop on to a grand conclusion in Nov. 2007. Haven’t heard it yet, but I checked out the lyrics on an Oklahoma Centennial Website. I’ll concede they are a little uneven, but then, so is the state. (Only natives are allowed to say that.) I am a three-decade fan of Sandi Patty’s voice, no matter what she is singing. And her hair-raising -on-the nape-of-the-neck rendition of The Star Spangled Banner is pretty much a 4th of July “must play” on radio stations in the Big City where I live now.

8. Ron F wrote:

Hey Rosie, are you Rosie O’Donnel? Ron F.