“PRODUCER SAYS KP&NR ALBUM ANOINTED”

Please. Is there an award for the most shameless PR overreach in an music industry full of shameless PR overreaches? Yes, this is gospel music, and yes, many artists and industry people believe their work is not just or even primarily bidness but rather a ministry. But honestly, “producer says KP&NR album anointed?” As opposed to what? All those other albums that are just crass exercises in musical exploitation of the spiritually pliable and religiously stupid? Honestly. How can anything ever live up to this billing? Is it not enough to be “oustanding” or “the best ever” or somesuch other commonplace superlative wont to pass through the lips of paid partisans? And as a practical matter, where precisely is KP&NR to go from here? “PRODUCER SAYS NEW KP&NR ALBUM UNFINISHED BECAUSE KP&NR TAKEN UP IN RAPTURE DURING RECORDING”? Or maybe “PRODUCER BLINDED BY LIGHT FROM HEAVEN DURING KP&NR STUDIO WORK”? Personally, I’d settle for “PRODUCER SPEECHLESS FROM KP&NR RECORDING.”

Trackbacks & Pings

1. www.southerngospelblog.com » On Anointed Albums on 18 Dec 2006 at 11:20 am

[…] A recent post on the Averyfineline blog appears to imply that the statement that an album is anointed is nothing more or less than a public relations move. […]

Comments

1. Chuck Peters wrote:

Talk about over re-acting to a headline.. and blowing things out of proportion.. The comments made about this news story are out of line. Just to keep the record straight.. It wasn’t KP&NR.. or Daywind who wrote the headline.. I did. I thought it made better reading.. and would attract more attention than the original press release heading: “”Karen Peck & New River In The Studio Working On Their First Daywind Recording”

My headline does reference a quote in the story. It’s just a simple statement.. about a reaction by the producer.. nothing more. There is no mention that other works are not equal, better or worse. Douglas.. calm down.

Chuck Peters
    SG SHOW PREP
    (an anointed publication)

2. Trent wrote:

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Anybody who has ever made a recording (at most any level) is excited about it when it’s finished and can’t wait until people get it in their hands and start listening to it. The artist is giddy & anxious and proud all at the same time; this is their new baby and they want to show it off. They want to see how the crowd will respond to this new child.

However, I agree that when this artist or this record company has significant dollars at stake, the line between genuine artist excitement and bonafide self-promotion in order to increase greenback flow is a thin one.

3. Dean Adkins wrote:

I think anointing is the most over-used term in the SGM world — or maybe it’s “looks like a man but sings like a woman.”

4. RF wrote:

Heh. I always get a tad amused at how sg groups or PR people or people in general characterize one “project” or another as just “moving” or “spirit filled” or “annointed.” Yes, I’ve been moved by songs, but that is in the eye and mind of the listener. Some songs move me while they leave other people cold just like some people get inspired by a Pentacostal service while other are “lifted up” by a traditional Methodist preacher’s sermon. It’s all relative.

5. natesings wrote:

I guess they couldn’t describe it as impactful since that was already taken.

6. Bob wrote:

Unlike Chuck, I think it is about time someone other than myself stood up and said, “Enough self-aggrandizing self-stupid promtion.” This is almost as good as the Unthank kids and their 2 line press release with 75 lines of self-aggrandizment they used to publish to everyone whether they wanted it or not.

Don’t calm down, Doug (or DOUGLAS as Chuck put it,) we like you just the way you are!

Bob

7. KB wrote:

Looking at the press release, it is a surprise that the album includes songs from Daywind staff writers??? And not ONE song from Phil Johnson (”That’s Why The Call It Grace”), oh wait, he’s from Spring Hill, the OLD label….

8. Greg wrote:

I believe that projects can be anointed and it makes a difference..It is a personal,spiritual assesment made by each individual if a song or project has an intimate meaning to them. I have always considered KP to be an artist that always has a song or songs on a project that have a deep impact on me..There are some artist who don’t use spiritual depth as a criteria in developing a project…

9. CVH wrote:

I began reading Singing News in 1972 and remember seeing ads and “news articles” (read: rehashed press releases from the group or label) like this. Nothing new, nothing surprising. I can see where someone involved in the project may really believe there’s something special about the record but how it’s communicated makes a huge difference. The same bit of information conveyed by Tammy Faye Bakker will be delivered and perceived differently than if it’s presented by Charles Stanley.

Speaking of annointing, one group I played with in the late 70’s had a strong Pentecostal following. We used to kid that the only problem with our records (yeah, I mean actual 12″ 33-1/3 LPs) was that they were so annointed that the holes kept healing over and people couldn’t play them.

I guess whether it’s hype or holiness is in the ear of the listener.

10. David Bruce Murray wrote:

There seems to be an abundance of point missing going on…

Yes, press releases are often regurgitated as news, and yes, self-promotion is often annoying, but in this case it was the reporter, Chuck, who put “anointed” (with just two Ns, not three) in the headline.

The press release itself was about as generic as they come.