Kenny Bishop in Country Weekly

Countrified reader SJ noticed the full-color treatment Bishop receives in the February 12 issue. According to SJ the article “talks some about his work in politics, the disbanding of the Bishops, his return to SG music, and his Grammy nomination. It is a pretty generic article. The thing that is interesting to me is that the title of the article is ‘Prodigal Son.’ However, there is nothing in the article to indicate a “fall from grace” in the SG industry. The title could be perplexing if you didn’t already know the history there.”

I’ve long been fascinated by the masterful way Bishop has managed his return to gospel music. His political connections and status don’t hurt, of course – they add some novelty to the story and have clearly honed his public relations skills – but I’m not sure that entirely accounts for the way in which Bishop has been able to frame his comeback in the emotionally evocative hues of “the prodigal’s return” while avoiding virtually all of the prodigal’s baggage.

This is usually the point where someone thinks I’m being backhanded, damning Bishop with feint/faint praise (I always screw this one up … if only I taught English!). But honestly, I’m still not sure what to think of his “comeback.” The hopeful part of me is glad that Bishop had the courage to stage a return to gospel music after his unceremonious ouster and that part of me wants to believe Bishop’s return is a sign that the gospel music climate is not as hostile and unforgiving a place as it might have once been. The cynical part of me says hopeful me is a fool … and yet one always wants to hope.

Comments

1. scy wrote:

What gerry said in post #3 from the “long been fascinated link”.

I am apalled that one of your readers reads Country Weekly. ;-)

3. Revpaul wrote:

Maybe the reason “the gospel music climate is not as hostile and unforgiving a place as it might have once been” is because of the better climate at SN these days. I’ve notices that several of our industry’s recent prodigals are again in the personal appearances listings.

4. Jim wrote:

“feint praise” that’s just hilarious

5. Scott wrote:

Oh, but “feint praise” is right on. I’m just glad he didn’t use “faint praise” which is just yecky (of course, he WOULD know the difference). Feint praise it is–think of it as feigned praise.

6. Scott wrote:

Well, actually he did used FAINT praise. But it is FEINT praise–right? Or that’s what I always had in mind when I said it.

Feigned praise.

7. shanjenkins wrote:

And, just so you know, I sometimes read Rolling Stone. I’m soooo worldly.

8. Jim wrote:

Just from reading the blog over time, I am convinced that “Feint praise” was a clever turn of phrase - a good portion of why I continue to be a faithful reader is because of Doug’s mastery of the language. It just does my heart good to read a well written quirky comment.
    I appreciate the insight into the Southern Gospel world, since I have a daily “work” connection, but it’s the nuance and shading of phrase that makes the comments such a delight to read.

Anyway, it struck me as very funny, whether it was intended or not.

ps You don’t have to be a regular reader of Country Weekly - Daywind’s publicist also sent this article out (I think)

9. Montana man wrote:

Is feint praise sin sear?

10. Ryan wrote:

11. thom wrote:

sounds like the PR machine at Daywind is hoping for some cross-over sales. not a bad idea.

12. CB wrote:

I continue to be a faithful reader is because of Doug’s mastery of the language…..

From Doug’s most recent post:
    “they can know start telling people”

LOL!!! Masterful!!!

13. Faith wrote:

“Ryan wrote:
    Are you all women? Do you all have lives? Are you doing anything for the kingdom of God, or just sitting around and bitching about people who do and articles that are written about them?”

Um, pardon me? Tell me, what does being a woman have to do with ANY of this? I guess putting down women is doing something “for the kingdom of God”, then. You don’t seem to “have a life” either, since you are reading and responding as well…oh, but that’s okay, because you are a “man”. You’re not a man, you’re a jerk.

I’m surprised Doug hasn’t written anything about your misogynist attitude yet.

14. Rod wrote: