New bass for the Florida Boys?

The name Lane Rainwater has popped up as the replacement for Gene McDonald for the boys from Pensacola. A quick Google search turns up a guy by that name currently singing with a group from Georgia called Calvary’s Way (hat tip, avg). You can hear a sound clip of Lane on the song “In One Accord,” on the group’s myspace page (looks like going into the studio next week, as they announce online, is probably not happening if Lane leaves).

One reader, commenting on the prospect of Lane replacing McDonald, wrote that “I realize that McDonald is a very difficult person to replace, but I would rather have Buddy Liles return than take this many steps backward in the bass slot. I know the days of the FB’s are numbered, but to me this makes the future of the FB’s very, very short.” Probably a bad idea to shortsell a tough old bird like Les Beasley, but certainly FB fans have got to be disappointed by a move like this. One measure of a group’s stock in trade is its ability to attract (or want in the first place) similarly calibered replacements for talented members who leave.

Update: You should always take a peek at comments, but the comments on this one are especially helpful with a fluid situation like this one.

Later Update: Comments consensus seems to be Rainwater won’t be joining the FB. Fwiw.

Comments

1. Thom wrote:

I’ve got them booked on March 1st in Springfield, TN - any idea when the new guy starts?!

2. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

The same song can be found at: http://www.shoutlife.com/calvarysway

3. anonymous wrote:

it won’t be lane….

4. Mike McIlwain wrote:

I liked the suggestion of bringing back Buddy Liles for at least a temporary fill-in. Billy Todd would be great as well.

5. WBGV wrote:

I heard that Les is still looking as of today

6. RF wrote:

Well, I hope not (insert comments from people who know Lane and find him a wonderful person and fine Christian man). Although he is a good regional amateur bass, you just cannot go from Gene McDonald to Lane and not see a complete dropoff in performance. And, like it or not, performance counts in these groups.

We can only hope “anonymous” knows what he is talking about. The FB’s have three tremendous voice at lead, tenor and baritone (not to mention an excellent pianist in old “red socks”), so they need to go after an excellent bass. I’ve often said that Josh Garner is one of the most talented leds in the business. Glenn Allred, a great baritone and Harold Reed, a tremendous tenor, are underrated. Let’s hope Les makes a better decision than the one reported.

7. knowswhatshappening wrote:

the new bass IS NOT lane rainwater

8. Jimbo wrote:

Many of those making comments about Lane Rainwater have never heard him sing. If you have ever liked J.D. Sumner or Richard Sterban, you will love Lane Rainwater.

Would J.D or Richard have been good enough for the Florida Boys?

9. H L wrote:

I heard Lane Rainwater right after he started singing again after not singing for 18 years. As I recall in his testimony that he promised the Lord that he would get involved in gospel music again. Being the son of Dempsey Rainwater, it’s in his blood. Whether he sings for the FB’s or not, does not mean he isn’t a great bass singer. The CD he is on is right when he first started singing again. I have the CD and he is pretty good. After not singing for 18 years, he did a very decent job and he has improved tremendously since then. I had the opportunity to hear him the other night when Calvary’s Way opened a concert for the Dove Brothers. Don’t judge him by the first song. Listen to all of them he sings on. The more you practice the better you get. I believe after listening to his testimony, all he wants is for the Lord’s will to be done in his life. I hope it won’t be too long before C’s W will be where I can hear him again.

10. TD wrote:

I really shouldn’t be getting into this, because I hope Lane will stay with Calvary’s Way, but these negative comments are typical of the spirit that I’ve encountered in most of my dealing with anybody in Southern Gospel Music on the national level. I not talking about the artist, but mostly people who are in the “Business side of it”. At that level it seems, all anyone is concerned about is who you are or who do you know in the business. Most of the people who have commented on this situation don’t know Lane Rainwater and have never heard him sing except that one small part on the Calvary’s Way song “In One Accord”. It is very unfair to Lane to judge him on that one song and I’ll tell you why. In December of 2005 Calvary’s Way was a trio consistiing of Dave Martin (Lead) Terry Sark (Baritone) Steve Sark (Tenor). At that time they were in the studio finishing up the “Just His Name” project when Lane contacted them and asked if they were still interested in trying out a Bass singer. (Terry and Lane had sang together back in the 80’s with the Accords and the guys had told Lane whenever he wanted to sing again to let them know.) They had already finished with their vocals by the time Lane called and the studio was working on the finial mix when Lane joined so they just let him go back and add his vocals to the project and they gave him the first verse in “In One Accord” because it didn’t need any changes to do it. Now back in the 80’s Lane had some very serious heart problems. He could not run his business and travel on the road singing every weekend with his heart condition being the way it was, so he gave up singing. When Lane retired in 2005 he felt that God was calling him to sing again. He ask Calvary’s Way about singing with them and it was like God had put it all together for them. So when you hear Lane singing on that project you need to remember that he’s singing for the first time in over 18 years. Now that he’s been singing with the guys for over a year he’s singing better than ever and the Lord is blessing him and Calvary’s Way in a mighty way. I believe that I can say that he didn’t go looking and asking for an audition with the Florida Boys. Mr. Les Beasley called him to come down to Florida to talk to him. Brother Les is an icon in SGM and a Hall Of Fame Member so I imagine it was an honor for Lane to even talk to him.
    Whether Lane goes with the FBs or not, I think most of the people on this site who have responded to this issue have missed the whole point about what the”Gospel” in “Gospel Music is all about. I think James 4:11 pretty much covers what’s been done here.

11. Norman Bonds wrote:

Amen to what says!

12. thom wrote:

Billy Todd would be a great fit.

13. William wrote:

I hear that not only is Rainwater a great
    singer but can peddle cookbooks like
    you wouldn’t believe. Could be another
    Whit that founded the group. Makes one
    wonder

14. David wrote:

Yea Buddy,
    There web site calls it a Homecoming cookbook with over 250
    recipes. Gaither better watch out!

15. Ron F wrote:

Hey Mike , Please not Billy Todd, and not Buddy Lyles. They need a young guy, Les Beasley , Darrel Stuart, and Glenn Alred are bringing that group down. They need some more young Blood. I feel sorry for Josh. Ron F

16. anon wrote:

Les is still auditioning for this position

17. jony hester wrote:

i have been a SG FAN FOR A LONG TIME AND DECIDED TO GO CHECK OUT ALL THIS CONTROVERCY ON THIS GUY NAMED RAINWATER FOR MYSELF—I HAD SEEN WHERE THEY WERE TO KICK OFF PROGRAM FOR A WELL KNOWN GOSPEL GROUP IN A LITTLE TOWN THAT IS NOT TO FAR FROM WHERE I LIVE–I AM SO GLAD I WENT—ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH THE PROGRAM I WAS WONDERING WHO WAS KICKING OFF FOR WHO—IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I HAVE FELT THE SPIRIT AS STRONG AS IT WAS AT A PAID CONCERT–WHEN I WAS IN THE LOBBY AT INTERMISSION AND SAW PRODUCT JUST FLYING OFF THEIR TABLE, I COULD NOT HELP BUT WONDER, HAD HE BEEN GIVEN A CHANCE WITH FB WOULD HE NOT HAVE TAKEN A PAY CUT TO DO SO–GUESS I WILL NEVER KNOW, BUT WHAT I DO KNOW IS I CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR CW AGAIN–ANON