Slightly OT: More details for songs on iPods, please

I really wish there was a way to view details about a songs on my iPod. What I’m looking for here is for each song file to be associated with basic liner note information about it: who wrote it, year published, publisher. Obviously I’d be giving up some memory for this kind of info that would otherwise go to storing songs, but that’s a tradeoff I’m willing to make. Has this not happened because most people aren’t willing to make the tradeoff, or because just too few people care enough for it to matter?

Comments

1. RF wrote:

I’ve wondered this too. In fact, I griped about it for years. As a for instance, I purchased the Kingom Heirs Statesman tribute (Off the Record) and just wanted to know who wrote the songs. I googled all the songs and got everything but who wrote the songs.

BTW, that album is a keeper for old guys like me and you youngins oughta get it to see how it was back in the dark ages. It should be album of the year.

2. Doug Sword wrote:

You’re right RF. It’s some great listening, especially on an iPod. We old men gotta stick together.

I don’t have an ipod, but would want that too. It couldn’t take too much memory.

4. SGMBlog wrote:

> Obviously I’d be giving up some memory for this kind of info that would
    > otherwise go to storing songs, but that’s a tradeoff I’m willing to make.

I just ran a few samples to see what penalty you’d actually pay for that information to be encoded in the songs. Adding the writer, publish and date to 250 songs will result in losing about 0.65 seconds of music. Not per song, mind you, in total. In other words, an 1Gig iPod that normally stores 16 hours and 40 minutes of music will only hold 16 hours, 39 minutes and 59.35 seconds of music. (Based on roughly 250 songs on a 1Gig iPod)

Not a terrible price to pay, IMO.

>Has this not happened because most people aren’t willing to make the
    >tradeoff, or because just too few people care enough for it to matter?

Apparently the latter.

5. Trent wrote:

I voted for “Off The Record” for album of the year..sensational recording. Avery, I guess the IPOD thing is just another example of songwriters & publishers not being afforded the proper space to get credit for songs. Apple should have built that kind of space into the program.

6. LSJ wrote:

I use iTunes on my computer and always input everything from the album that I possibly can (songwriter, publisher, copyright date, who played the drums) manually, which is both taxing and should be done so much more easily if the file came with the information. If mp3 is going to take over CDs in the near future (as CDs did the cassettes before them, and those the 8-tracks before them, etc.), then they have to come up with a consistent manner of having the pertinent info on every file to replace the liner & album cover.

7. David Bruce Murray wrote:

You’re correct that it would only take up a slight amount of additional memory. In fact, there’s often extra information included in an .MP3 file that you can’t access from a portable audio player. My iRiver won’t display the cover art, for example, even though it has a nice color screen.

I use Musicmatch Jukebox to add meta data to my MP3 files. It allows for a ton of additional info, including lyrics.