Open Thread

Avery lives. He just doesn’t write much these days. I’m afraid you’ll have to continue to talk amongst yourselves if you can’t stand the silence for a bit longer. But I promise to be back at some point in the nearish future. And at that point, remind me to tell you why Allison Durham Speer’s “I’m Bound For That City” may be one of the most fabulous new old standards released in a very long time.

In the meantime, let me return to something I’ve probably already wondered about before but nevertheless don’t remember getting a satisfactory answer to. What is up with Steve Hurst and Mark Trammell Trio? It’s one thing for a “quartet” to have more than four people in it when the extras do non-vocal stuff. But Hurst sings a fourth part a good deal of the time with MTT. And he’s obviously not just making a few cameo appearances. His has now been added as an official bio to the group’s website (hat tip, FK), which treats the Hurst situation like he’s always been around and that everybody already knows what Hurst’s role is with the group: “Taking on the mantel of mentors, Mark Trammell and Steve Hurst are now surrounding themselves with two of the brightest young vocalists on the Gospel Music Horizon, Eric Phillips and Dustin Sweatman.” I assume that bit about the mantel of mentors is a slightly self-serving way of saying Hurst brought a big cash infusion with him, if only because when you hear hoof beats, why think zebras. But obviously I could be wrong. No matter, and if even or especially I am wrong, it’s difficult to see what else Hurst brings to the group. The slate of song on the last project sort of obliterates the theory that Hurst is meant to be Rodney Griffin to Mark Trammell’s Gerald Wolfe. And the signals the group sends from the stage are no clearer, with Hurst blustering around between the piano and the frontlines in full high holiness mode while Trammell does his stately man of gospel music thing off to the side. But then again, I’ve always preferred Trammell’s stage presence to Hurst’s brand of emotional spirituality, which means I may simply not “get” something that’s apparent to everyone else. What say you all?

* My point here isn’t that this is new (as Daniel Mount points out in comments). Rather, it’s that it’s gone on for so long with the presumption that everybody always already has known about Hurst’s role.

Trackbacks & Pings

1. gospel music » Open Thread on 23 Oct 2007 at 4:14 am

[…] Hey, I came across this post - Open Thread - that I thought was worth sharing.Hope you enjoy it. […]

Comments

1. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

Doug, the line you quote has been on the Mark Trammell Trio’s website for upwards of a year.

2. Revpaul wrote:

But with Avery only posting now about once a year . . . [grin]

3. Pearl wrote:

haha.

4. Charles Brady wrote:

4 voices…. a trio?? Sounds like some of that southern math that quartets use. You know the ones with (5) microphones going onstage… LOL!!!

5. David Bruce Murray wrote:

You stay away for a month and this is the best idea you have to write about?

And you probably still got more hits this month than me… :o)

6. matureman wrote:

Speaking of Trammell…. what a nice guy! What a great Baritone! What a sincere Christian!

Kinda by accident, I rediscovered “The Old Rugged Cross” by Gold City yesterday…”Amazing Grace” album …Parrack, Wilburn, Trammell & Riley. What an ending on that song! I don’t care if Pitch Control was liberally applied or whatever, Mr. Riley rang my bell! God bless him. Yep, I had my hand up while listening…the first five or six times.

That was a great group. During that time, they sang well within their range and it was a full, beautiful sound. Without taking anything away from the current group, the old mix of voices really spoke to my heart, too.

The MTT is very good…heard them at NQC. Aside from his obvious talent, Steve Hurst added something on stage that was difficult to explain … maybe, it was just a comfort level that was easy to accept. First of all, his piano was absolutely stunning, if you hear chords and timing, etc. Good grief, the man can play.

There seemed to be a lull in the whole NQC presentation of groups along about then, that night. In his few minutes, he brought the enjoyment level up several notches and there was hardly a dry eye around where we were sitting. It fed the folks and maybe,that was his purpose in being with MTT.

7. Amanda wrote:

Well, I would consider this more newsworthy than “The Best Lineup That Never Was.” But I still didn’t care for this particular story.

8. Trent wrote:

I agree with #6. Steve Hurst has been a wonderful addition to the group. They seem to have a greater vocal presence and sound. Also, more of a spiritual-type atmosphere when they are on stage.

9. Videoguy wrote:

Hurst and Trammell go back quite a ways. Hurst traveled with the Cats off and on back in the late 80’s. At one of their concerts, I struck up a conversation with Steve; he said something to the effect that he was coaching them.

10. michael n wrote:

Why was donna of hopes call not on the road with the group this weekend? problems? What is happening with the freemans? young harmony? aaron mccune? some weird stuff going on. can anyone talk about it?

11. jb wrote:

#10: What about Aaron McCune? Is he sick or what are you talking about? Do not follow any of the others you mentioned.

12. Tony Watson wrote:

When Dustin Sweatman was hired with MTT, the press release stated that Steve Hurst would be with them most of the time and that his primary position would be at the keyboard. That, in fact, has been the case throughout.

So, to say it’s been common knowledge all along, yeah, it has - for those who follow the group and read press releases.

Whatever the case, the group is sounding better than ever and having more of an impact both in their services and concerts as well as in the “buzz” factor. Having the best vocal coach in in the biz riding the bus with you can’t hurt!

13. FrequentReader wrote:

Donna of Hope’s Call has come off the road to spend time with her family.

14. KD wrote:

SG ShowPrep indicates Misty Freeman-Callaway is expecting…due out May 08.

Don’t know about the others michael quizzed about.

15. KD wrote:

Speaking of the SG ShowPrep, there’s a story in today’s edition that the NQC has asked opinions of folks on its email list regarding a move of NQC to late June-Mid July.

Right now, it looks like NQC is just testing the waters. Personally, I think that would be the best move ever for the NQC and SG industry. Summer is traditionally the best time for music festivals, no matter the genre. NQC shoots its foot with young families, because the September dates are after the start of school.

Move NQC to the summer vacation season, and I’ll bet attendance will go up, the average age will go down, and the industry will see some good growth.

16. RF wrote:

Aaron McCune not with Gold City anymore? Is that what #10 was saying? Nothing on the website or in any of the discussion boards.

17. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

FrequentReader, is that permanent or temporary?

18. Frequent Reader wrote:

Donna of Hope’s Call has come off the road to spend time with her family.
    HAHA YOU ARE FOOLED — HER FAMILY IS ON THE ROAD WITH HER.

19. BL wrote:

#13, I don’t really know anything about the Hope’s Call situation but, um, how can she come off the road to spend time with family when her family’s on the road?

20. jb wrote:

Again I ask….What about Aaron McCune?

21. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

FrequentReader, I was aware of the fact that Donna’s family traveled with her. That is why your post surprised me.

22. FrequentReader (1st) wrote:

She has 3 other younger children who do not travel to each event. I’m sure a formal press release will be issued soon, so I guess we’ll all just have to sit in anticipation until the status of the time frame is unveiled.

23. TLN wrote:

RE: Donna of Hope’s call “not on the road this past weekend”

Don’t know the situation, but do know one of her children has had serious health issues for several years. Obviously, it is not known what the situation at hand might be,…could even be something to to with extended family. If it’s meant for us to know, I’m sure it will be released to the SG media. If it’s just a private concern, then…well, it’s just meant to be just that…a private matter.

24. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

All right–now I am confused!

I took the first announcement at face value, even though I was aware that her husband traveled with her, since the excuse is the typical generic one. But with different Frequent Readers contradicting each other…

25. JB wrote:

Most of the industry KNOWS why Donna came off the road. And I think she had some family repairing to do.

26. dd wrote:

If its our buisness, which its not, then they’ll make it our buisness. next subject.

27. RF wrote:

OK, we’ve settled the Donna situation, so let’s move on to Aaron McCune. Was that just thrown out or is there really a problem???

28. TLN wrote:

dd (#26)
    Well spoken…

29. David Bruce Murray wrote:

Looks like something got out from under the bridge…

30. Glenn wrote:

I just received and viewed the new DVD by the Gaither Vocal Band and Ernie Haase and Signature Sound. Other than the fact that it was great, there were a couple of things that really stood out to me. #1, you can talk stacks and tracks all you want to, but no other group in Southern Gospel music could come close to filling an auditorium that size. #2, for those of you who marginalize Bill Gaither’s effect and contribution to our music, you should look at the audience. Although there were a good number of gray haired and bald headed people, there were more young faces than at any SG concert that I ever attended. I think if you want your children and grandchildren to receive the joy and inspiration that we have from of this genre of music, you will take them to see Signature Sound and the Vocal Band. In twenty or thirty years, when the Statesmen, Kingsmen, and Cathedrals may not enter the discussion of young SG fans, they will be talking about these guys. Greater Vision, Legacy Five, and the Booth Brothers will be the legends then.

31. Rebecaa wrote:

You SG fans, You thinks these groups all walk on water. What do you think they are doing on the big bus when you are not looking. They might be fooling you, But their ONE not fooled.

32. FrequentReader wrote:

Glenn:

I agree with your summary of the future of this industry resting in the capable hands of the groups that can draw the respect and admiration of the younger crowd. I attended a SS concert a few months ago and although the sound of the music was purely Southern Gospel, the audience was in awe of the execution and delivery of the show.

If Elvis can appear on American Idol and make a grown person cry, then truly a Southern Gospel group can have a light show and elicit the smiles of Generation X.

The Booth Brothers are no different… perfect formula for success…

33. Oldtimer wrote:

What would be the reaction to a group today with the Kingsmen mentalilty of the 70’s and 80’s? I am talking about the live band, loud vocals, screaming tenor, and three chords and a cloud of dust way of doing things? In this landscape of stacked tracks, canned music, and everyone trying to “out-arrange” everyone else I think that it would be an incredible breath of fresh air to have a Parrack/ Hamil/ Fox/Reese type bunch out there hacking at it . They were not afraid to be innovative ( Excuses) and they were not afraid to settle down and sing ( Jesus I Love You) but ther knew what the crowd was waiting for was one of those old songs they had reached back and made their own ( We do not die or I’d Rather Be an Old-Time Christian.) And despite my moniker I am only 36 so this is not some old guy pining for the old days. I just think that we have made it too difficult these days. I am convinced that a let’er all hang out group like the 70’s kingsmen with a Hamil like emcee could really make an impact today. I would like to know what you think about that - do you agree or has that passed us by? And what group(s) out there today comes the closest to doing that?

34. RF wrote:

Glenn (#30) - I spent far too late into the evening watchin the new DVD, too. I did notice the two things you mentioned, but I also noticed some great harmony singing. I had my doubts whether the format of two quartets singing together would work, but about 15 minutes into it, I became a believer!

And yet, as a real old-timer, I long for an ol-style Gaither video. You know, one like the one recordedin Nashville when the Hymns videos were recorded. all the different groups singing sg songs. Why they didn’t release that one first is beyond me.

35. AF wrote:

Donna with Hope’s Call is a wonderful Godly women. Rumor and speculation is WRONG! Remember people we are Christians here..well I would hope that we all are. Let’s not forget that a lot of people read this site and some of you have said some real negative, hurtful things. The bible states that if we have a problem with someone to go to THEM!!

36. Mike McIlwain wrote:

#33, I think that one reason the Kingsmen and Goodmans were so popular in the 70s was due to that “let it all hang out” way of doing things. It wasn’t always polished and pristine, but it was alive and exciting. While I love the polished and pristine singing of groups like the Cathedrals and Imperials from the 70s, I also love the Kingsmen and Goodmans from that era.

I do wish think there’s a place for the “let it all hang out” groups. However, for these groups to be successful they will have to have a great personality like Jim Hamil who can relate to the crowd and who can combine ministry with showmanship. I always loved it when he would say after a smattering of polite applause, “If you’re gonna do it, then do it.”

37. FrequentReader wrote:

Rebecaa:

How does a critique of ones promoted talent correspond to an attack of character? You are right, but, what do you do behind closed doors that you would not want published in the church bulletin on Sunday? Just a thought for all of us to consider before thinking ourselves better than someone else.

38. SM wrote:

Re #33: We had one of those last year. You might have heard of them. I think they were called the Crabb Family or something. Legend suggests they approached the genre with an innovative style, traveled with a live band, and sold out such places as mega churches and outdoor amphitheaters.

39. oldtimer wrote:

# 38 - Yeah I have heard of the Crabb family - even consider myself a fan. But other than the fact that both had a live band I see absolutely no comparison between them and the 70s Kingsmen. Everything from the way they sing, to what they sing, to how they look when they sing it are about as different as one can imagine. The Crabbs were structured and precise - the 70s Kingsmen were unstrucutred and scattered - at least that was the image that they so skillfully projected. Another poster added the Goodmans to the conversation and I think that is a valid comparison. But I still don’t think there is a major group out there today - or even on the horizon - that is embracing this hold nothing back style. If you can think of one ( and please not the Crabbs) I would love to hear it.

40. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

#39 - The Perrys can do it. Of course, they do the big tracks sometimes, too, but when they feel like it they can rev their engines, take off with three chords and a cloud of dust, and have the crowd on their feet three minutes later.

In quite a few of their programs they incorporate their own unique twist, that neither of the two groups you named were particularly known for–doing their encore acapella. That’s when they blow the roof off. :)

Now, I’m not saying they do that with every song. But they know it works, and they do it at several points in their program.

41. Kyle wrote:

Here’s the biggest problem with the Kingsmen/live band issue today…..money!! It’s sad to say, but money simply isn’t what it used to be in gospel music. Most artists aren’t playing in sold-out theaters like the Kingsmen used to be able to do. They are playing in churches for offerings and expenses.

I will give Gaither credit….he KNOWS how to market a group!! If you watch the first Signature Sound DVD (with Shane & Garry), the majority of the audience is older folks. Fast forward about 2-3 years, and they release their first Gaither DVD AT THE SAME THEATER, and it’s packed with screaming fans. It all has to do with how the group is marketed.

42. cynical one wrote:

Gaither IS the best out there in marketing any Christian music today. But maybe a part of that marketing is filling the room (or at least the portion closest to stage and cameras) with younger people. Anyone who knows his people and his inner circle can recognize those people in the audience shots. Not an accident!

43. Aaron Swain wrote:

I second #27… what’s going on with Aaron McCune?

44. Glenn wrote:

Cynical one,
    I can’t buy that, but one thing is for sure, he also always delivers.

45. steven wrote:

In response to the crabb family comments…its my humble opinion that the crabb family is to this generation what the hinsons were to 70’s and 80’s. Structured yet let it hang out.

46. David Bruce Murray wrote:

Rebecca sez: “What do you think they are doing on the big bus when you are not looking.”

I have it on good authority that most of them are watching _Blazing Saddles_.

47. David Bruce Murray wrote:

oldtimer,
    Regarding the Crabb Family, I think you need to get a good strong dose of them covering the McGruder’s “I’m Going Home With Jesus.”

They have been know to let it rip.

48. gribblja wrote:

David,
    In reference to the Crabbs covering the McGruders “I’m Going Home With Jesus”, you are so right. They can let it rip. Has this been recorded and released? It is definitely a great cover.

49. Tele D. Trooth wrote:

So, how bout them Red Sox…

50. KD wrote:

It’s official. According to Chuck Peters, Donna Beauvais is leaving Hope’s Call to become a permanent member of the Daywind radio promotions team, as well as handling her production company. And, yes, she’s going to spend more time with her other kids. Jessica and Eddie will continue as Hope’s Call.

I doubt they’ll add a new third member, unless it is a sibling. They don’t really need to.

Best luck Donna.

51. Mike McIlwain wrote:

I wish Eddie and Jessica would add a third member. They are both really good singers,but I love all the harmonic possibilities that a third singer makes possible. However, I do realize that adding a third singer means there will mean greater financial strain.

52. Oldtimer wrote:

Good point DBM.

53. Rebecaa wrote:

It’s official. Donna Beauvais is leaving Hope’s Call to become a permanent member of the Gaywind radio promotions team, I guess the joke is on us… coming off the road for weekends singings. she’s going to spend more time with her other kids. What happen and her husband. Is he going to still travel. not good

I doubt they’ll add a new third member, I doubt they will keep singing.

I seen HC before NQC and she was not singing with them then..

Do they have a bus to

54. SM wrote:

I wasn’t going to make anything more of the Crabb Family, but since others seem to be willing…

To me, on any given night Jason Crabb has a lot of the same draw that Jim Hamill had as Kingsment MC. Granted, they differ in speaking style, but they each did a great job drawing audience members in through personal stories, humorous quips, and a healthy dose of spiritual rhetoric (btw: there’s a study for you Doug: a rhetorical analysis of the southern gospel MC).

As far as the let it rip, I enter the 7+ minute instrumental as evidence A. Anybody who heard it knows that, while you may not like it stylistically, it supported the argument that the CF band was one of the greatest ensembles to grace a concert stage in any genre of music last year (and I saw several that, frankly, sucked by comparison), and probaby the best band southern gospel has or ever will see. There may be better individual players, but as a collective whole, there was something intangibly special and magical about the band of the Crabb Family. And while I admittingly stray far to the pop country side of southern gospel in my preferred taste, I looked forward to the Crabb’s acoustic set they did on a couple of occasions that included all the greatest hits like “Please Come Down to Me” and “Please Forgive Me” (which I never really liked until I heard them do it acoustically).

I’ll agree that they were musically structured and tight, but the whole concert atmosphere had a ragged improvisational edge to it that so raised my aesthetic senses that I’ve become largely desensitized to the Average Joe Quartet/Trio with the Sony Discman Band.

For those of you older than 5 back in the 80s (alas, I’m merely a youth), how do they compare to the old Mid South Boys? I heard they put on a show that made the traditionalists run away screaming in agony.

55. AF wrote:

Rebecaa:

Your negative attitude and slams to individuals and companies are not what we are about as Christians. If you think so negative of SG singers and companies than why do you listen to it and why do you continue to come to this site. I am all for individual opinions but negative and RUDE is not cool.

56. Muzikmknman wrote:

I love it that we all have the freedom to share hearts, speach, ideas, thoughts, etc….but I sure would hate to have Rebecca as a “so called friend”…..wow….wow….wow….I cannot help but wonder what God thinks of her comments….

57. notsosure wrote:

I saw Hopes Call a few weeks ago without Donna - someone else was filling in for her, she was the “wife of another great SG singer”, Jim somebody i think - Anyway, If there was ANY sincerity to what they were doiong it did not come through.

They seemed nervous, uncomfortable, and like they were in a hurry to get out of there. The boy that did most of the emcee work talked really fast and tried to make a couple of jokes about being a yankee in the south - (maybe that’s why they looked so uncomfrotable).

The girl made all these gestures with her hands that looked rehearsed - like those circular motions with your first 2 fingers held together like those rappers make , that sort of thing, etc.

They sang for about 40-45 minutes, took the offering, pitched the CD’s and stuff for sale, came back and did ONE song - and acted like they couldn’t wait to get out of there.

If this is the best they can do, maybe they should all “stay home to spend more time with the family”…

58. cdguy wrote:

AF & Muzikmknman: Thanks for those comments. You’re absolutely right: Rebecca was out of line. But her use of poor grammar should be an indication of how much attention we should pay her. I would guess few, if any, of us reading theses posts and press releases know all the details of what’s going on and why. Most of us are jumping to conclusions, based on our own preconceived notions of who must be doing what because this person did that. And it looks like what happened to so-and-so. “No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.” Nor do we necessarily need to know.

Thanks, again.

59. cdguy wrote:

I just heard James Blackwood’s “Lost Recordings” cd, and the Blackwood Brothers’ “Quartet Classics” cd. Great stuff for fans of the classics.

James recorded his vocals back in the 70’s with just the piano (Tommy Fairchild). He may have been at his peak. The masters were put aside, in case he would lose his voice or pass away. Additional instruments and vocals have now been added (including his sons Billy & Jimmy) to make it a quartet project.

“Quartet Classics” was the first STEREO gospel recording ever done — back in 1958. Includes Bill Shaw, James & Cecil Blackwood, and J D Sumner, with Wally Varner on the piano. 10 classic songs. Worth a listen.

60. jb wrote:

I think Rebecca needs a hug…..Or maybe she knows more than me.

61. Rebecaa wrote:

He would said HOW TRUE YOU ARE Just look at the History That will tell all….

62. Ben Harris wrote:

To Rebecca #31:

I can not speak for every group on the road, but I do know what occurs on our bus, and I can guarantee you there is nothing that I would care if the whole entire fan base of SG could see. It would be boring that’s for sure. We begin a trip with prayer for a safe journey, then we usually set up front talking to one or more gets tired and heads for a bunk. Sometimes we watch videos of other gospel groups or listen to their CD’s. Sometimes we watch old movies like old John Wayne movies, or such. Nothing with any bad language or explicit scenes ever allowed on our bus. We discuss where we’re gonna stop and eat, Cracker Barrell, Bob Evans, maybe a Mexican place from time to time. In our cooler you will find soft drinks, bottled water, and nothing else. When we arrive at the church or venue we are to sing, we setup the equipment and then get dressed. We have a group prayer asking God to bless this service adn then we enter to meet the people. When we leave, we again have prayers asking God for a safe journey home. I have been on many SG buses through the years and in all honesty, this is about the rule of thumb for all of those I am aware of. We allow no smoking, no drinking, no women other than our own wives, and we try to present the gospel in song in as clean cut, Christian manner as humanly possible. For you to infer that something less is going on, on these SG buses, you demean the entire group of dedicated singers. There might be a few who are less than desireable, but if that is the case, I am not aware of such, and I would venture to say I have traveled about as many miles in SG as most. You should think before you speak. NO we do not walk on water, but rest assurd, we know the One who can.

63. cynical one wrote:

Yes, Rebecca may need a hug, but she apparently needs language lessons, too. Her #61 posting made absolutely no sense at all. It’s like her fingers can’t keep up with her thoughts, or something.

Honey, go back and read what you’ve typed, before you hit “post”.

64. cdguy wrote:

Ben, thanks for that. Yes, there are hypocrites in s/g, but we should not suggest there’s one or more on every bus.

I had a friend who recently joined one of THE MAJOR GROUPS 35 years ago, who commented there was a lot of immorality happening on a lot of quartet busses, but not on their’s. As Christians, we know Satan is working overtime, trying to defeat the cause of Christ, especially on people in prominent positions. They need our prayers, not our judgemental assumptions.

Some my assume immorality happens on every bus because they’re living that way themselves?

65. oldtimer wrote:

After seeing the unusually strong responses evoked by Rebecca’s comments I went back and re-read them. I honestly do not understand them enough to get that worked up about what she said - or tried to say.

66. Larry Bedford wrote:

I totally agree with oldtimer #33 about the Kingsmen. I still listen to my old cassette tapes and record albums(yes I said record albums) of the Kingsmen with Parrack, Hamil,Reece and eldridge Fox. I saw them many times live and would travel to see them again. That was good southern Gospel music.

67. Oldtimer wrote:

Here is why I think that all the Crabb family comparisons are invalid in this thread. The Crabbs are great - but they are essentially Jason and the Segos. That is to say that as long as Jason is out front which ever brothers/sisters/cousins/uncles/nieghbors etc. are standing behind him is are largely irrelevant. Which is not altogether fair because Adam/Aaron ( I get them confused) is/are very talented and capable. But the Crabbs always were the Jason show. And for good reason - he is a rare talent. And I know that they could rail on a song like “I’m going home with Jesus.” But the group dynamic was just not what it was with the K-men and you never got that flying by the seat of your pants feeling with the Crabbs. You always felt that they were in control, And while I am sure that Hamil was certain that his antics would play out well, the crowd got the feeling that he was making it up as he went along. This spirit of “planned spontenaeity” is a rare gift.

68. Oldtimer wrote:

69. TLN wrote:

Re: Crabb’s vs. Kingsmen
    There is one difference (between the Kingsmen of the late 70’s/early 80’s and the Crabb Family) that no one has posted. Let me first say that the Kingsmen were my absolute favorite SG group to hear in concert during that era. I, too, enjoyed (and anticipated) the ‘what’s-gonna-happen-next’ spontaneity and the in-your-face give-it-all-you-got perfomances (and being a musician myself, I loved the live band. But as I’ve matured, and have often reflected on the Kingsmen compared to the Crabb’s, I must say that…the Kingsmen of that era mostly just entertained me (yes, there were some spiritual moments), but when I saw the Crabb’s in concert at a church a couple of years ago, I was expecting a ‘concert’, but what I got was not entertainment, but perhaps…one of the greatest spiritual 2+ hours that I’ve ever experienced. And, yes the band rocked!

So…spontanious entertainment vs. spontainous annointing…guess which one I’ll choose? I’ll choose ‘havin’ church!

70. TLN wrote:

Re: SM (#54),
    Yes, the Mid-South Boys (later in their career they changed their name to ‘MidSouth’) were definitely ‘happening’ in the 80’s…great tight professional vocals along with a band to match (and the vocalists didn’t just sing…they played instruments, too. Their SG/country/pop sound really appealed to the ‘younger generation’ and to those who wanted something different than the same ol’ quartet music all of the time. As far as their sound goes, I would compare them with today’s Austins Bridge and CrossWay. They were very innovative for their time (and they were HUGE in my book)! To me, they were the most exciting SG group at that time.

As far as the comparison to the CF goes, well…they had a super band, and they weren’t bashful about giving it all they had, but, never-the-less…they didn’t have a Jason! Jason C’s aren’t made just everyday, y’all! But again, they were very strong musically and would definitely git-r-dun! Hope my short synopsis helped ya.

71. immature wrote:

In Rebecca’s #53 comment, “Daywind” was (accidentally?) typed as “Gaywind.” I can’t stop laughing.

72. Trent wrote:

FYI…..A 1986 Cathedrals concert recording called “Travelin’ Live” is now available on DVD. You can find it at Amazon.com for around $10. I think this was released to DVD the latter part of August, ‘07.

73. agoodsport wrote:

Trent,
    Are Danny, Mark and Gerald on that Travelin Live DVD?

Also, can anybody out there share some recording information with me? Our Middle Tennessee-based local trio is looking to record a table project. We’re not trying to make it big, simply record a quality, low-budget table project with either just piano or with piano, bass and drums. I wish the budget were bigger, but it’s not. So, we’re somewhat limited. We really just want a quality table project without breaking the bank. I know there are hundreds of recording studios in the Nashville area. Can anybody out there share some recording information with a rookie on who is good to work with (and won’t treat you like a rookie) and who won’t be too hard on the old budget? If you’re not comfortable posting info on the open thread, drop an e-mail address in the open thread, and I’ll be more than happy to correspond with you if you don’t mind helping a fellow brother out with some information based on your (or your group’s) past experiences.

74. Rebecaa wrote:

#62 Ben Harris NICE JOB!!!

75. Rebecaa wrote:

Donna, Stop with all the Press Releases. Your only causing more mental and emotional suffering to yourself. Just get off the road and go away.

76. RB wrote:

You hit the nail on the head # 57 notsosure

Their was something just not right. And I could not put my finger on it. I could not have said it better.

If I had recorded with hot stacked tracks like theirs, *&^**^&; won’t go their. I better stop.

Avery, Is this the group you talked to at NQC and wanted to run away.

77. Derek wrote:

Is it just me or has the Aaron McCune thing been completely ignored?! Curiosity is going to kill some of us if someone doesn’t spill their guts soon!

78. RB wrote:

Looks like, they are not talking about the Aaron McCune thing Ammmmmm

I thought after NQC we would see a lot of turnovers in groups but it has been pretty quite.

79. BBB wrote:

RB # 76 A lot of groups sing with stacked tracks, You are wrong to hold that against them…

I was at a concert and this one group was done warming up and went to change cloths and nobody was on the stage. The the church lost power and had to reset the breaker. The groups sound tracks kick in and it sounded like they were singing with nobody their, after it play about 3 songs. One a the group members finally came back in to stop the player.

80. Bob wrote:

#57 I hope you never come to a concert that I’m at.

81. David wrote:

#72: Travelin’ Live is George, Glen, Danny, Mark & Roger(with Vic Clay and a couple of other musicians sitting in). It was the last video Roger appeared in prior to his hiatus(two years?) which led Glen and George to hire Gerald Wolfe, springboarding him to national prominence. It is a fantastic video for its era.

82. not a grammarian wrote:

My guess is that the Aaron McCune thing was just a red herring thrown out there to rile people up. He’s still on their website, so maybe he just missed a date?
    Is it “Rebecca” or “Rebecaa”?

83. Jim E. Davis wrote: