The first rule of showbidness: timing

Coincidence that Jeff and Sheri Easter are releasing a family-fest album drawing on her Lewis connections and the Easter name at precisely the time Charlotte Penhollow Ritchie leaves the group and Jeff and Sheri’s kids step into more prominent roles? (Chuck Peters reports that this is “said to be the richest collection of family and musical heritage,” but said by whom? Jeff and Sheri? Daywind. Figures. I’d say that too if I were hawking my new famtastic album.)

Sure, it’s a coincidence … but only if you believe Sheri Easter slept through business school.

Well played.

Update: Madison Easter says it’s all dumb luck, more or less. I like Jim2’s idea of a “vast bluegrass conspiracy” (has a nice ridiculous ring to it) but that’s not really what I had in mind. My point wasn’t to suggest Sheri Easter made the planets align just right (obviously the recording has been in the works for while), but that announcing this project the day after the Ritchie thing was a smart move. And there’s enough flexibility on release dates to make that not improbable or unlikely. That’s all. And yeah, it should be a good album fer sher.

Comments

1. Tim wrote:

I think the Jeff and Sheri, Easters and Lewis Family would make a good concert package.

2. Madison E. wrote:

Doug FYI:

We shot the video in September…the album and both videos were planned WAY before that…We found out about Greg and Charlotte’s decision this past weekend. Mom is a business freak but this was anything but planned ahead of time. The “compilation” album/video was actually an idea given to dad by a fan back in the beginning of last year.

Also, I wanted to let everyone that cares know that Gaithernet is helping our group do something I don’t think any other artist/group has ever done by having Mom and Charlotte each keep a “diary” from the day we found out about the resignation (this past Sunday) to Charlotte and Greg’s last date(sometime in March). As anyone that read my post last year knows, it gets really irritating to have people speculate whats going on in our personal lives and what will happen in our futures so with these two new blogs set up by Gaithernet it lets people see what is really going on everyday.

I’d be happy to set anything else straight if needed…

Take Care,
    ME

3. Jim2 wrote:

Doug,
    It may sound like convenient timing to you, but I’m pretty sure that this project was recorded late September of 2007 (Mayberry Days), so it’s not inconceivable that the timing is merely coincidental. It makes for a convenient distraction, but I’m unconvinced that there is some vast bluegrass conspiracy here.
    Somewhere on your blog is a comment I made to Madison about talking with his parents about the event and I think they were talking about doing the recording in Mt. Airy the following weekend.
    At least on the gospel side of bluegrass I think you’ll be hard pressed to find 2 more talented family legacies than the Easter Brothers and the Lewis Family. Jeff & Sheri can both boast some impressive bluegrass lineage and I think this “family reunion” is going to make some very happy bluegrass fans.
    I found out this morning that there will be a studio CD for sale as well as the DVD with a bonus live CD. I believe the release is set for sometime in March.

4. Chuck Peters wrote:

(Chuck Peters reports that this is “said to be the richest collection of family and musical heritage,” but said by whom? Jeff and Sheri? I’d say that too if I were hawking my new famtastic album.)

Geeze.. that sounds like a line I would normally remove from the PR.. my bad.. lazy editing. I bet it’s a pretty good project anyway. By the way.. whom said it?.. Daywind said it.

5. GospelMusicFan wrote:

The discussions on this subject on various threads reminds me of the saying, ‘I don’t care what you say about me but spell my name right.” In this case, “name of the album right.”
    Looks like Doug and Chuck Peters are trying to grow up faster by using the word “album” instead of the word “project.”

6. GospelMusicFan wrote:

Pster #2, also known as Madison E. is more than just a guitar player with his parents along with Greg & Charlotte.
    Madison is a reliable source for the following happening:
    Updating the information by Madison,
    “Mom (Sheri) and Charlotte each keep a “diary” from the day we found out about the resignation to Charlotte and Greg’s departure.”

7. BobB wrote:

It didn’t take Charlotte long to land on her feet…

Wednesday January 16 2008 - 1:46 AM ET
    Charlotte Ritchie Reaches Agreement With Rick Hendrix Company
    by Rick Hendrix Company

Charlotte Ritchie

NASHVILLE, TN (Press Release) - Rick Hendrix Company has reached an exclusive promotional agreement with Charlotte Ritchie and her label RSI Music. “We are so excited about Charlotte’s ministry and music. Radio has really embraced her,” stated Rick Hendrix.

The first single “Joy” will reach radio within the next couple of days for an add date of January 22. The much anticipated project “Bridges Over Blue” reaching retail in a few weeks.

For more information visit www.rickhendrix.com or www.rsimusicgroup.com.

8. Trent wrote:

Madison, here’s part of your quote: “…it gets really irritating to have people speculate whats going on in our personal lives and what will happen in our futures”.

I’m sure that’s true. But when you stand on stages with the Gaithers and sing in front of thousands of fans, expect scrutiny and projection and speculation on your future. Expect accolades and expect scorn. It’s all part of the package. When you’re high up on on the pole, people will throw bouquets of flowers up to you and they will also throw rocks at you.

With age and maturity will come the ability to enjoy the ride and cull out a lot of stuff that doesn’t really matter much. Most people really like you guys. They are just doing what fans do sometimes. Enjoy the praise, cull most of the ridicule (that always comes with success), see if there’s any constructive criticism in it, apply that part of it to your life and performances, then keep moving forward. I’m sure God has big things in store for you and your family. Enjoy the whole process as much as you can; you will be telling your grandkids about this great time in your life one of these days. I wish you the best.

9. terry wrote:

geeez, Trent has it all down pat! Is that him singing with the gaithers? Or is he the girm in the front row at every concert, huffing diesel fumes?

10. Madison E. wrote:

Trent,

Thanks for the tips, I’ll keep them in mind.

11. Tom K. wrote:

Madison, please excuse some of these people - they just can’t help themselves! Everything is a conspiracy. It was great having you folks back at CHC on January 13 and look forward to future returns. After talking to all parties, I am sure the changes are in God’s will. Also, Morgan and your talent’s have matured to the level that you both need more exposure. Wish both families the best and you will all be in our prayers. Hope to see you back on March 2 to jam with Jason Crabb!