On Legacy 5

A friend of mine emailed the other day asking about a comment he remembered seeing a while back somewhere on the site to the effect that Legacy 5 would be “toast” after Roger Bennett’s death. I can’t find that comment and neither could the friend (let me know if you can or remember where it was), but in the process of looking for it, my friend asked what I thought the “toast” comment mean, exactly.Which got me thinking about L5 post-Roger Bennett’s death.

In general, I think sg insiders have wondered for some time what exactly was the true and lasting origins of L5’s success. Fair or not, the group’s emergence from the Cathedrals inarguably gave the new group a prominence of place and priority in the pecking order of southern gospel that had little to do with ability, talent, or performance.

That doesn’t mean they have nothing going for them musically. They have had and do. But on balance, the group’s success has consistently benefited more from the nostalgia for Glen Payne and George Younce that the Scott Fowler/Roger Bennett pairing kept alive (nothing wrong with that; we all play the cards we’re dealt), and not least of all from the showmanship of Roger Bennett, than it has from the sheer genius of their music. Probably since “I Stand Redeemed” – a real piece of musical magic – there’s really been no song that L5 has managed to popularize in a way equal to, say, a song like “He Saw it All” or “Get Away Jordan” or “I Will Find You Again” or “insert any recent Greater Vision hit.”

When people talk to me about this – always in that “are you sure we should even be talking about this?” kinda voice, given the way Roger Bennett’s death still hangs over every discussion of the group – the conversation drifts inexorably toward some version of the following: Roger was the marquee star that held the group together and made up for what the music and/or song selection often lacked. Without him? … ehhhhh, I don’t know …

I think what people are getting at is less about the long-term viability of the group (they’ll be around for as long as they want to be, I imagine) and more about the unmistakable reality that in losing Bennett, the group lost not just a wonderful person but a flagship personality. The question isn’t, will the group survive? Rather, it’s something like, will they survive and even thrive, but unremarkably so?

Roger’s illness and death, and the way the group became a collective symbol and voice for his struggle as they sang the music he created from that crisis, doubtlessly stretched the group musically, toward the meditative and reflective to an extent they probably wouldn’t have otherwise gone. But without diminishing the legitimacy of that music, it was a product of its moment and context and, as we all too sadly feared, never a sustainable track from a creative standpoint. Given the degree to which Bennett’s personality became ever more the defining element of the group in recent years, it’s probably only natural that insiders and other sg types would develop a sense of uncertainty about what the future holds for L5.

Are they “toast”? Hardly. Gospel music fans are loyal and nostalgic, and for average L5 devotee, I imagine Bennett’s death only deepened their sense of loyalty (and this is the one reason why people are so reluctant to talk about this issue at all, because so many joyful noisers in the rank file tend to treat even an acknowledge of the obvious as a form of disrespect to the living and dead, even though it isn’t and ought not be considered so). What’s more, long before Bennett’s death L5 was quietly working to build one of the more impressive bases of regular fans who support the group no matter what kind of music they produce.

But their recent projects haven’t exactly gone beyond the competent or predictable (with perhaps the exception of “Truth is Marching On,” but which doesn’t really count, since Gold City managed to brand it as “theirs” first). L5’s 2007 Christmas project sounded expensive, but it was a strange place to put a lot money given its short shelf life and the fact that Christmas music is creatively pretty much a dead-end.

Perhaps the group needs and deserves time to reinvent itself or mourn through the loss of a friend and colleague, to say nothing of figuring out how to fill the creative void created by this death. But I actually think they are where they want to be – pretty much content with the place they occupy, a place they can probably safely inhabit as long as they like, getting by doing nothing more or less than what they’ve been doing.

For some outsiders looking in, it’s a bit different. Whatever else the subsistence model of artistic or professional vision may be, it is not, I don’t think, what some people have in mind when they think and speak of L5 as an heir to the legacy of Cathedrals and the caliber of music such a name calls to mind.

Trackbacks & Pings

1. Jason Waldroup to leave Greater Vision « Coomer Cove on 31 Mar 2008 at 10:40 pm

[…] been more than a couple of years since I’ve seen Greater Vision in concert, but from recent reports, it seems he may have regressed. I guess that could have been due to the fact that he has […]

Comments

1. Ed Butler wrote:

L5 works as hard as any group out there. Their concerts are worshipful. While not overall outstanding vocally like the Tribute QT (watch out for them), Greater Vision or Booth Brothers - they are very good. You never leave a L5 concert without getting more than your money’s worth.

I’ve been to dozens of their concerts in the Carolinas including their first one in Marietta, GA. I’ve always been richly blessed and greatly entertained - with Roger, with just the QT and now with Parton (perhaps the very best accompanist in SG today - and that is different than a pianist).

I went to a very poorly attended concert in Sumter, SC on a Thursday night about three or four years ago. You would have thought the house was overflowing with people. By contrast - I’ve attended concerts where the people made me feel bad for just being there. L5 showed me something that night.

I think L5 will outlast most groups today. They are very well managed, the guys get along great - and really seem to enjoy singing. traveling and ministering together.

Their latest recording - “Know So Salvation” is actually one of their very best. “There is Hope” should be released to radio. It is a song Scott sang with the Sound before the Cathedrals. “Know So Salvation” by Inman and Wilkinson is also a bonafide hit.

I own all their recordings except Christmas - and I really do not like SG Christmas music. I keep all of their recordings in my “A” CD holder - while most others cycle from “A” to “D”.

Thanks
    JEB

2. Aaron Swain wrote:

“Know So Salvation” is actually the #3 single on the SGN charts this week. And I agree with the above poster that “There Is Hope” should be their next single, unless they release their re-recording of “I Stand Redeemed”, which I doubt.

I heard from their office that their next project, due sometime in May, will have Tim Parton singing “God’s Been Good”, an absolutely awesome song that he sings in their concerts. I also hear tell that L5 will be releasing a project this year with the four-guys-and-a-piano style. Can’t wait!

They have had other good songs, and I like them, but they were a pale shadow of the Cathedrals (understandably so.) Two former Cathedrals would not be the same as 5, and even much longer tenured groups don’t match the Cathedrals.

Bennett was a HUGE part of what L5 did. He was great on the piano, but his sense of humor, emceeing, and personality added a lot too. However, I did see them prior to Bennett’s departure. Parton was filling in and although I missed Roger terribly, I still enjoyed the program. Parton was one of the best choices they could have made, but no one was going to replace Roger. However, I am sure they are doing fine. Even when Bennett was there in prior years, I know his health affected things, and he was actually out more than people might have realized, so the guys had to get used to being without him which probably made the transition more smooth.

4. Ken wrote:

Saw them 4 wk. ago, GREAT concert.Very little mention of Roger, No mention of the Cats. One of the best bass singers in the business. Sang a lot of the old standards which may not please the CCM crowd and I don’t mean Country Christian.

5. Philo wrote:

If you want to compare them with the Cathedrals go ahead, i’ll give the cats 10/10 and L5 maybe 6/7. Compare L5 ataatgainst signature sound,dove bros, gold city et al? Well to be truthful i don’t think there’s much in it. I’ll say say this but, if they manage to hold together their current configuration they may go to greater things…it’s all down to Scott really.

6. Trent wrote:

Well, I think they certainly will survive and thrive. People still love them, and in my opinion they are putting out tremendous music. “Know So Salvation”, their current release, is a strong song.

However, let me say that Scott’s fixation with politics is starting to hurt the group a little bit. His riding the bus with Huckabee was interesting, and I guess deserved a mention. But now L5 is going to have Oliver North appear at their big Nashville blowout. Oliver North? At an SG event? And his contribution to the event would be what?

Fans of L5 who remember the Iran/Contra scandal and North’s part in the whole ordeal will be taken aback at his participation in Nashville. An Oliver North/L5 union at an L5 concert is a very odd union, indeed. However, I believe that Scott is savvy enough that eventually he will see–or get advised from someone–that allying oneself in ministry with corrupt politicians (which pretty much encompasses all national politicians) is bad PR for the ministry.

Back to L5’s music, I’m surprised that no one has mentioned their best song ever, “Strong In The Strength”. What a masterful tune that was. I believe that one was released back when Josh Cobb was with the group.

7. Philo wrote:

sorry about the sssstuttering in the above post ,it’s a bit late over here.lol.

8. Aaron Swain wrote:

#6: Yes, Strong In The Strength was released when Cobb was with them.

9. Robert wrote:

Was I Stand Redeemed on the same project as a song called Forgiveness? I guess it is just my taste but what an awesome song.

10. bbq wrote:

I may be in the minority here, but I haven’t enjoyed L5’s music as much without Josh Cobb as did with him there. Don’t get me wrong, I still like their music and I think that as Doug said in his post, they will be around for as long as they want to be, but I much preferred them with Cobb on Tenor. I just don’t think they have been able to capture that “it” that they had with him in the lineup since his unfortunate and abrupt departure. Regardless of what transpired between them…we don’t want to go there again do we?… I think that line up was as solid as any quartet you could name. While they were not The Cathedrals of the mid to late 80’s, I felt like that line up had more potential to be closer to The Cats of that era as anyone else ever has. Even with that said, I would travel a great distance to hear Scott Howard sing “Vessal of Mercy” tomorrow in one of their concerts if I knew he would sing it.

11. Philo wrote:

Trent#6 don’t forget the cats had a love-in with old Olie 12 years or more ago when he was riding high on the wave of controversy. If my mind serves me right they came out of that one virtually unscathed. But then again it was they were untouchable in those days.

12. Aaron Swain wrote:

#9: It sure was.

#10: I believe it was Scott Fowler that had the feature on that one. I think they still stage that song a lot as well.

13. DD wrote:

Vocally, L5 is up there with the best of them. They need to decide among themselves who is going to be the “dumb one” and Scott H. does an OK job at it, but it’s inconsistent. Sonically, Frank belongs watching them though, not so sure. Scott F. needs to come up with a few new jokes and not dip into the Gerald Wolfe jokebook so much.

14. Ed Butler wrote:

#10 & #12 - Scott Howard was definitely the featured vocalist on Vessel of Mercy.
    JEB

15. Nattex wrote:

My family and I recently saw (3 weeks ago) L5 in Roswell, NM. Roswell, NM is not a hotbed for southern gospel, but they were well received and put on a great concert. We saw them several years ago in Summerville, SC when L5 hadn’t been around all that long. At the Summerville concert, L5 put on 2 shows back-to-back at a church that didn’t have a large sanctuary at that time. The first concert was for the church and the 2nd was for non-church members/attenders. We got in for the second one. There were about 15-20 people there. And the memory of that concert was one of my family’s most cherished. They sang for almost 2 hours and treated us as if there were several thousand people were there.

At there concert recently, we were treated to the same quality and character. Tim Parton is a great addition and closed out the concert by singing his song, “God’s Been Good.” It’s always enjoyable to hear any group sing old songs like, “Oh, Say But I’m Glad,” and then watch the audience as they sing along to the songs of yesteryear. But L5 does a great job at making those old standards fresh and relevant for today.

With all that said, it is always great to have role models like this group for kids like my 15 year old who has always loved this music and wants to play and sing it as a professional.

16. QuartetDude wrote:

Been to a few L5 concerts & seen some videos over the years and they are what they are. They have rode / still are riding the Cathedral train for all it’s worth and are doing the same with the Bennett train too. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean any disrespect to the Cats, L5, or the Bennetts and it’s not said in a negative or bad way - it’s just where they came from and the circumstances that they found themselves in. They were smart to carry on right after the Cats and to carry through during and after Roger’s illness. Someday they will be able to leave all that behind them and stand and be judged totally on their own merit. They had a unique and different Quartet sound with Cobb on tenor that I thought was really a good move on their part when they started. Even if he would have stayed with the group, I wonder how long Cobb could have sung like that without ripping his throat apart? Nevertheless, with time and experience it seems that L5 has gotten more polished, although I’m typically not thrilled with them or their music.

Such a tragic thing that they and the Bennetts went through - indescribable. Too bad that Tim Parton has to live in the Bennett shadow, because Tim is an amazing talent and because of that may never get the credit and recognition he deserves. I’ve been impressed that Glen’s bass singing has much improved since the beginning. I’ve always thought that Scott Fowler was much better suited to be a baritone singer than a lead singer, which is something that I’ve heard others say also. But to do that they would have to get a real lead singer. Frank, seems to be a little weak and thin vocally for the key part that he sings, he’s not a power house tenor. Given all that, I believe that Gold City is much stronger vocally at every position, and has a better musical selection. I can’t wait to see Gold City tonight on TBN and hear their new lead singer.

There’s definitely room for L5 at the SG table, so carry on guys - carry on.

17. crazyjoe wrote:

…I was not impressed with L5 when they initially started….Scott F was weak initially as a lead singer, Glen D was not the best and Scott H was just a little weird when they started….I was annoyed with Roger’s Cathedral references, lengthy testimonies and stories…I’d give a thousand $$$$’s to hear Roger now….At first I was very impatient with the group and did not allow them the room to grow as a quartet-I expected them to be The Cathedals out of the shute….L5 has matured as a group and improved with age…they are a very servicable quartet now….I’m in the minority when it comes to liking “I Stand Redeemed”…..I do like “I’ve Been Changed”….and “I Found Grace”….Glen and the two Scotts have grown into their respective singing parts and are now good quartet men….I feel they have treated Roger’s death with dignity and class-unlike their initial Cathedral references….my only criticism now is their tendency to sing didies all the time….maybe Tim P can steer them away from this with his awesome arrangements….

18. DrummingDrew wrote:

I agree with #13. However, I think everyone dips into the Gerald Wolfe jokebook. I know some of Gerald’s jokes are classics that he has picked up. However, I have often wondered how he comes up with some of the things he does. I guess it works like a stand up comic and either you have it or you don’t. Is Gerald SG’s Foxworthy or Seinfeld?

19. wackythinker wrote:

I get tired of people trying to compare current groups with their favorite dead people. We idolize the Statesmen, Blackwoods, Stamps, Goodmans, Cathedrals, Burger, Bennet, et al, ad nauseum. “Nobody will ever be as good as . . . “, we seem to say.

And we’re probably right: no one will ever be able to live up to our fond recollections of our heros who’ve gone on.

I hope people talk that well of me when I’m dead, but it would be nice to hear nice things while we’re alive, too.

20. natesings wrote:

Scott Fowler sings “A Vessel of Mercy.” Feel free to watch the “Strong in the Strength” video for proof.

21. Leebob wrote:

When it comes to comparing groups it is difficult because it is a different era now than it was then. The Oak Ridge Boys are still considered to be one of the all time greats when it comes to gospel music. It is probably their country style bleeding over into what people remember. I personally never cared that much for their gospel. I felt their harmonies weren’t all that and had more flare from the different personalities than actual talent for gospel music. Hence, their popularity in country music. They could not stand up to most of the current SG sound and would have a difficult time making it.

I digress…the point is that to compare what the groups are doing now to the groups of the past, especially Statesmen, Blackwoods, and Stamps is just not possible. As GC, The Singing Americans, Kingsmen, Cats, and others came on the scene the traditional groups began to fade into an afterthought. It is apples and oranges. The last list of groups lended to the sound that we have today so they can come close to being compared to today’s groups simply from the standpoint of uniqueness and innovation.
    Obviously, GC has stood the test of time and bridges a gap between the old and the new. L5 because of the association with the Cats is in that same group.

What I find interesting is that many of the groups today are doing a retro sound with current quality sound techniques. Booth Brothers are a very good example of this. I am not sure where this comes from but it plays well with the crowds if for no more reason than nostalgia with the crowds. It is fun for the groups and people enjoy it when the groups are having fun.

This brings me back to the original point
    L5 should be around for some time simply from the nostalgia standpoint with Roger Bennet. If the current group can capitalize (for lack of a better word) on the next couple of years with quality arrangements and songs they will build an even larger following. This is a unique position that God has place them in and I personally believe they are the right group for this time. God bless them in their continued ministry.

22. a.kees wrote:

i am glad that i have found this site. alot of what i had thought but never having an outlet to express it because very little southern gospel up in iowa country. there is some but not much. L5 comes way short. they are trying to be the cathedrals and that will never happen. Jim Hamill said it best, we may have derived from those groups, but we wanted to have our own sound. L5 does not do that. they sound just like you know who. they to me have only one song that doesn’t sound like the cats, and that’s strike up the band. thanks for reading. ak

23. Ron F wrote:

I Love the song they have out now “Know So Salvation” . But they lack something, and the Promoters know this as well. For the amount they charge for a concert, it just doesnt even out with the tickets sold. Its hard to pay the Bills when you book these guys.

24. Aaron Swain wrote:

I think L5 will get better as time as goes on. Tim Parton is a good arranger and producer, and I’m sure that will play a big part in their future stuff.

I prefer Gold City over L5, and even though Fowler was lead in The Sound prior to the Cats, I prefer Him on baritone. However, Roger really wanted the other Scott on baritone , so between that and possibly wanting Scott up front due to his being the other “Cat”, he was made lead. I did prefer Cobb on tenor, but Frank sings more easilly and seems like nicer guy.

26. RF wrote:

I have nothing against them, and they are a talented group, but L5 has never been one of my favorites for several reasons.
    First, Scott Fowler’s voice never appealed to me with the Cats and less so as the lead. Frank gets a lot a laurels for his voice, but everything seems strained and doesn’t quite blend with the rest of the group. Glen Dustin is a fine bass, but doesn’t seem to have that “rhythm” that the great basses do.
    Finally, their material has been less than top drawer in my opinion. But that’s just me and all music is a matter of preference. How will Roger’s demise effect them. A lot. Roger was the dominant personality with L5. He’s (sadly) gone. They will survive, but the question remains if they will flourish without Roger. I don’t think so.

27. bbq wrote:

#12 You are correct on “Vessel of Mercy”. Scott F. does have the lead on that one. I was thinking of “That’s What Grace is For”. Scott Howard does have the lead on that one. Thanks for the correction!

28. QuartetDude wrote:

Gold City was dyn-o-mite tonight on TBN!!!
    Stole the show! The new guy has a fantastic voice, but seemed a bit nervous - that will fade as he becomes more comfortable in the quartet.
    PSQ - oh my… :( Bring back Rick Fair & Burman Porter.

I do like Vessel of Mercy - wonderful song!
    Know So Salvation - I like the message and meaning, but since reading this thread “Ya Gotta have a Know So Salvation” has been an ear worm all day.
    HELP!

29. matthew wrote:

L5 was in town just the other night with Greater Vision. My thoughts on the concert…..L5 have a sound that has congealed, and blended well. They are not the Cathedrals. Scott F. came from them, but they are their own group. Tim P. is an excellent addition, and most personable at the record table. I thought they were in fine form vocally, with the exception of Glen D. on bass. His mic was not properly set, and anytime he went down low, it was so muddy and distorted. This hasn’t always been the case, and L5 has been at this church before. There are sometimes I’m not sure about Dustin’s ability on bass, but then other times, he rips it out, with clarity,and other notes are fuzzy and weak sounding….. Yes, Frank’s voice is thin, and isn’t in the powerhouse category, but he more than makes up for it with his aura, his ability to sing on pitch!! and his obvious enjoyment of what he does. He projects an incredible joy, and pathos in his singing. Plus he is very personable as well. I talked to him for at least 10 min. during intermission about his vocal technique etc. I wanted to pick his brain, as a fellow tenor, and he gave me all the time in the world. Scott has a great voice, which has energy and an edge. He is a veteran already…..Scott H. is also a good singer, who has limits in his upper register, but knows how to connect with the crowd. I have no doubt that they will continue to do well for many years.
    As for GV, they are quite polished. The funny thing about them is that Rodney never looked side to side, only straight ahead, and held his left hand out like Glen Payne used to. Tenor Jason was flat on his acappella solo, not impressed with him at all. I also talked to him during intermission, and he barely gave me the time of day. I perceived him to be arrogant, and not very fan friendly. He was barely featured in the concert, and, in my opinion, rightly so. With a better tenor, they could do well. Gerald w. is a powerhouse, and all the respect goes out to him for his singing and emcee work…

Re: #21

The Oaks had some great gospel. Although I mostly prefer it fom the late sixties on, there are those who love the Smitty Gatlin era. He definitely was talented, and the version with Mcspadden on baritone was good.

Even if you are comparing the gospel stuff of the current four, they had some really great stuff prior to changing to country. Listen to songs like When I Sing For Him, Jesus Was There, Don’t Be Late, Look Away Mama, That’s Just Like Jesus, What A Time We Will Have Over There (live version), Doctor God, Where The Soul Never Dies, Jesus Knows Who I Am, Sailing Toward Home, It’s Been Done, I’m Winging My Way Back Home, Give Me A Star, Baptism Of Jesse Taylor, and others. Their live version of Just A Little Talk With Jesus was smokin.’ Check out Kyle’s video of it on You Tube. They also had a great live lp just prior to going FT in Country.

They had good ones prior to that too. I really like their Performance, Light and Street Gospel albums among quite a few others. They had great live versions of Jesus Is Coming Soon and King Jesus.

31. Aaron Swain wrote:

Here’s the link to that Oaks video:

32. gc10 wrote:

IMO…I think its interesting how many say that L5 falls short of being the Cathedrals. What was it about the Cats that we all love?? Sometimes when I get out my iPod and listen to the Cats, I cringe at some of their blends and harmonies, especially as George and Glen got older. In my opinion it was the personalities of both George and Glen that makes them one of my all time favorite quartets. I believe that talent gets you only so far.

33. RDB wrote:

L5 doesn’t compare very strongly against other groups when you go part by part - lead, tenor etc you typically will see Signature Sound or Gold City having the more talented pieces. However a quartet needs to be more than just an accumulation of parts. I think with experience L5 is knowledgeable about how to make the most of what they’ve got. Talent is one piece of the puzzle but stability of group lineup doesn’t necessarily go hand in hand with talent - that requires the right personalities and a sufficient love for what you’re doing to stick it out even though you might make more money elsewhere.

I think the point that the Cathedrals weren’t as perfect as some people remember is well taken. Ultimately L5 doesn’t make a lot of use of theoretical Cathedral heritage to promote itself - ironically I think Signature Sound, the more talented and (maybe) more successful group has been more guilty of this than L5.

34. nashville ear wrote:

i may be in the minority here, but that’s never stopped me before so here goes - L5 is just “ok” to my ear. Now we’re all different and have different tastes, I realize that, but, when I listen to them I hear no blend, i only hear 4 distinct parts. the tonality and placement of their voices just does not match. the tenor singer is liks finger nails on a chalkboard. Scott Fowler was much better on baritone with the Cats. The bass singer is pretty good, but again, the blend is not there for me. the baritone is forgettable.

In all fairness, I have never attended a full concert - have no reason to or interest in doing so. I’ve only heard them at NQC. I do not own any of there CD’s save one “Live in Music City.” After listening to it i was inspired not to buy another one.

I agree on one thing - Tim Parton was the bet choice to replace Roger at piano. Tim is the most complimentary accompanist in the field. His personality is more humble than most with his ability. If L5 had hired a flashy, showy, extrovert it would have seemed like he was trying too hard to “be the new Roger.” Parton on the other hand can just do his thing and people will appreciate his talent and genuineness.

L5 is well managed, Fowler is a good businessman. The Labor Day and Memorial Day events at Opryland have been a huge success. I’m sure the group will continue and will probably be around a long time.

I will be interested to see what the new afformentioned “4-guys-and-a-piano” project sounds like. Maybe it will change my overall lack of enthusiasm about L5.

35. Wayne wrote:

Re: #33

“Ultimately L5 doesn’t make a lot of use of theoretical Cathedral heritage to promote itself - ironically I think Signature Sound, the more talented and (maybe) more successful group has been more guilty of this than L5.”

Sometimes I thought that George Younce was a member of SS for as often as Ernie would mention him. Now it’s turned into Bill Gaither namedropping.
    SS “More talented”? Debatable. More marketed.

36. tater1955 wrote:

Nashville ear you must me on drugs to mak these comments LOL!!! . Now we’re all different and have different tastes, I realize that, but, when I listen to them I hear no blend, i only hear 4 distinct parts. the tonality and placement of their voices just does not match. the tenor singer is liks finger nails on a chalkboard. Scott Fowler was much better on baritone with the Cats. The bass singer is pretty good, but again, the blend is not there for me. the baritone is forgettable.

37. nashville ear wrote:

do you seriously enjoy the tone of that tenor singer? i’ll stand by my statement - like fingernails on a chalk board.

38. tater1955 wrote:

Absolutely

39. Wayne Waldroup wrote:

reponse to Matthew

What group is it that you sing with?
    Or is your calling just to citicise others, why don’t you do something positive for the Lord other than criticise those that have sacraficed their lives and time away from their families to have to put up with jerks like you coming to the table to complain!! Did you have enough courage to say something to their face or just behind their backs?
    Signed ,
    Jasons Dad in Morristown

40. Brandon wrote:

I’ve had the great oppritunity to hear GV many times over the years - and hearing them is one thing… these guys are “Everyday People” - it’s not just some cliche’ Daywind came up with to promote them in a new light… but these guys are God loving, good singing, PEOPLE LOVING! people and for that they all will “well done my good and faithful servant…”
    as for Jason leaving… wow… I was totally shocked but at the same time- this is a young guy who stepped out in faith some 13 years ago following what the Lord had planned for his life - I wish I could have been there when he sang “Victory In Jesus” in that stair well for his audition although I would have only been 6 years old :) This guy has been nothing but nice and kind everytime I met him… of course I was nothing but nice and kind to him… HINT HINT-
    Mr. Wayne- thank you for your post it nice to hear from someone who actually knows what’s going on… telll Jason that the MAJORITY of people out there love and support him 100% as they should.
    Blessings.

41. Aaron Swain wrote:

#39: Awesome post, man.

42. matthew wrote:

To Mr. Wayne Waldroup,
    First of all, it was not my intention to offend anybody or their parents. I understand the instinct to protect children and family from critique. At the same time, I don’t quite agree with your assessment of me as a jerk.
    Where I am coming from is that I have studied music, theory, voice, etc. Part of graduating with degrees in music is performance appraisal. That’s part of the turf. Not every prof I had was kind. Dealing with criticism is something we all have to do.
    I have sung in my own local group, and watched/enjoyed countless concerts of the Cathedrals, Gold City, Kingsmen, Singing Americans, Stamps, etc. I have a certain expectation when I go to a concert. Having bought numerous tickets for the L5/GV concert, I feel that gives me the right to provide feedback. I wanted to enjoy GV’s performance, which I did. I was pointing out what I thought was less than stellar. Certainly in your son’s profession, he has had both positive and negative criticism….part of being in the public eye.
    I did state that I “perceived” your son to be arrogant. I didn’t say he “was” arrogant. When I approached the record table, I didn’t go to complain. I went to talk, have a nice conversation…..I didn’t feel that objective was met.
    I am a long time SG fan, and that was the first time I saw GV. As I stated originally, they were polished. Their overall sound was good. I’m glad to have added them to my list of groups I’ve heard. As a tenor myself, I always pay particular attention to that voice part. Perhaps I shouldn’t, but I do. I hold no ill feelings towards anybody, and I wish you and your family well in the coming days of transition and change.

43. Jim wrote:

Wayne Waldroup needs to rethink his message. If Matthew was courteous enough to post a followup message I consider to be thoughtful and classy, Mr. Waldroup should do the same.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I’d say Mr. Waldroup should develop thicker skin. ALL of us have been the subject of negative opinions in our respective careers, and we still have to get up the next morning and start a new day. As Joyce Meyer has pointed out, ‘We stand because Jesus holds us up.’.

I have no opinion to offer one way or the other on Jason Waldroup or anyone else connected to GV. But I think there are more constructive ways the elder Waldroup can be protective of his son and allow the transition for GV to take place smoothly for everyone.

44. wackythinker wrote:

Matthew — If Jason’s solo was acapella, how can you be sure he was flat? How do you know what key he was supposed to be singing in? Or are you saying he WENT flat, as he went along? Now that’s a different story. And what was the situation? Was the stage extremely hot, under the spotlights? Was there something going on in the audience, or the back of the auditorium, or in the sound system that distracted his attention away from his concentration on pitch?

And if we got rid of all the sg artists who EVER sing flat, we probably wouldn’t have many people left. A large percentage of excellent singers occaisionally sing a note flat once in a while. I’d be willing to bet you have, a time or two, as well.

45. matthew wrote:

I knew he was flat because several seconds prior, Gerald W. played the opening chord. Then Jason started the acapella solo. The first interval was a major 3rd. It was a quiet time in the program, no instruments, etc, so the “flat-ness” was obvious to me. I don’t have perfect pitch, but just prior, Gerald played the chord.
    I’ve heard other singers go flat too. Even Glen Payne and George Younce. We are all human. However, Jason’s solo was so exposed, and it wasn’t a difficult interval…..if ever there was a time to nail the major 3rd, it was then!! :-)
    As I said, I don’t have perfect pitch. My problem is that I tend to go sharp a semi-tone, and singing acappella with a group, I can tend to pull them up. Once we’ve drifted into the new key, we stay there……

I always heard that prell concentrate causes someone to go from flat to fluffy. ;)