Open thread

Bo Diddley’s dead. This guy sounds interesting (and so does his article about bluegrass). And David Bruce Murray says this documentary is great. Which reminds me, has anyone seen the sg documentary that was being filmed at last year’s NQC, and if you have, where it’s being sold?

Email this Post

Comments

  1. Kyle wrote:

    I wouldn’t called Gold City’s new DVD a DOCUMENTARY, but it should be available soon…. :D

  2. Revpaul wrote:

    Bo Diddley? With the Hinsons, right?

  3. KDM wrote:

    Been waiting for another open thread to test the waters on an idea…

    Do you think SG singers should have formal vocal training? It seems to me that anyone, no matter their genre, should have some sort of formal training if they’re going to make a living using their voice. I have a couple of reasons for feeling this way. First off, a little training could clear up the McCray Doves of the world, who currently sing a gospel that needs a translator to be understood. It doesn’t matter how devoted you are, how pure your intentions are, or how close your walk is, if no one can understand your message, you’re not being an effective minister. Learning to sing properly, i.e. with proper enunciation and diction, can do wonders for a lot of groups out there who have the raw talent, but not the training to use that talent effectively. I’m sure there are plenty of folks out there who would miss the southern twang and drawl that gives SG some of its down-home charm, but really, I don’t care how charming you are. I’m not paying out for a ticket or a CD to listen to music that’s so garbled it makes no sense.

    The second reason is simple biology. If an athlete is going to make his career using his body, he does everything he can to make sure that body is healthy and fit for the purpose he intends. Singers really ought to take the same view. If you’re going to be a professional singer, vocal health is of vital importance. Training teaches singers how to use the voice properly, without oversinging, straining their range, or doing physical damage to the vocal cords can add years onto a performer’s career. I know of several SG singers, not to mention many of my own friends, who have blown out their voices from overuse. They struggle with conditions as mild as hoarseness and as serious as nodes or vocal strain, which can take months or even years to resolve, if it ever does. One lady I know had an absolutely magnificent natural voice, but overuse and misuse due to lack of training took its toll to the point that she can no longer sing at all.

    If singing is your bread and butter, you should make sure you’re doing it right, for quality as well as safety. I won’t name names, but there are SG artists who, although they sound amazing, absolutely make me cringe when they push into their upper registers. The average consumer may not notice, but a trained ear can hear the strain and tension in a voice that is not being properly used. I shudder to think of the kind of damage these singers are doing.

    So what do you folks think? Elitist, or practical?

  4. Mike McIlwain wrote:

    KDM,
    It is my understanding that Jake Hess and Brock Speer took voice training throughout much of their careers. I agree that some vocal training would extend the careers of these artists and help them remain strong vocally in their later years.

    I think that it was in one of the books written about gospel quartets, either Music Men or Dave Taylor’s biography of the Statesmen - Happy Rhythm, that mentioned Brock Speer continuing to get voice training because a cold or some other illness could cause a singer to overcompensate, thus the need for lessons to help the singer get back to using proper voice technique. I am a music minister who has had some vocal training, but I could use some voice lessons now to help me correct some bad singing habits.

  5. Tony Brown wrote:

    That’s several times I seen reference to McCray’s “bad” diction. Am I the only person who can understand what he’s singing? Oh, not every word on a barn burner like Didn’t It Rain, but on everything else I have no problem with it!

  6. Larry S wrote:

    KDM - I don’t think it’s elitist at all. IMO, it’s a matter of stewardship. If we don’t learn to take care of our instrument well, we won’t utilize it as well or as long as the Lord intended.
    By no means do I do everything right, but I think that we could all use the help of well-studied experts who fully understand the complexities of the human voice, in regard to both the physical components AND the spiritual.
    One of the greatest things to ever help me was being told to warm-up my voice. How many SG singers truly warm-up their voice on a nightly basis before singing? It just makes sense to learn all that you can to be better in your field, regardless of what it is. Thanks for bringing this up!

  7. Ben Harris wrote:

    The topic of learning how to sing, and read music, has been a pet peeve of mine for a long while as many of you already know. Just because one can sing a tune does not a singer make. SG sadly is chocked full of people who can carry a tune, but not many singers when compared to the whole. I could talk on this subject for days…but out of respect to all….I won’t.

  8. philip elwood wrote:

    The nqc docu you were referring to was a BBC production, which was aired on BBC4 in the UK. The recording could probably be ordered from the BBC website

  9. 1 old fan wrote:

    No vocal training necessary. No business training necessary. No sound equipment training necessary. No music reading training necessary. No ministerial training necessary.

    We know it all. That’s why we’re in s/g.

    In fact, that’s why we read and comment on this blog. Because we know it all!

    And we don’t need to be any better than we are. God designed us to sing this way, and that’s the way we’re gonna sing, by golly.

    And you’ll LIKE it!

  10. Ben Harris wrote:

    Now thats funny, or at least it would be if it didn’t hit so close to home.

  11. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

    I enjoy listening to McCray, but these Yankee ears often can’t quite decipher what he is saying.

  12. Angie M wrote:

    #3: I do wish it were more common. My family had a part-time SG group when I was younger. I took voice lessons in college, and wow, what a difference! i learned how to breathe while singing.

    And you don’t even really have to sacrifice the twang if you don’t want to (I happen to think twang and good diction aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive).

    I can think of some artists who have apparently done significant damage to their voices. Sheri Easter, who I idolized when I was younger, seemed to be really struggling for a few years in the 90’s, but thankfully, she doesn’t seem to have the same issues now. I’m sorry if this comes across as overly critical, but I think it’s an important issue. Listen to Sheri on “Thread of Hope” and “Silent Witness.” Then, compare that with older projects (”Home Folks,” “Picture Perfect Love,” etc.), or later projects (”Life is Great and Getting Better” and others I don’t own). The difference in those mid-90s projects is noticeable to me. I mention Sheri only because it seems she was able to overcome her vocal issues, and I wonder how she did it. I think this could be really helpful to other SG artists dealing with the vocal strain that can so easily manifest itself under the typical SG touring schedule.

  13. Grigs wrote:

    Re:#5

    Tony, I’ve never had any problem understanding McCray’s vocals either. I guess we’re just really talented!

  14. Matt G. wrote:

    I think vocal training would be a very good idea! Like Angie M said, you don’t have to sacrifice the twang for good diction, support, and other such things. Some people seem to naturally have vocal chords of steel that just don’t quit despite years of hard abusive singing. Look at Vestal Goodman. Yeah she didn’t have the range she did in her younger days but she still had the power, etc. On the other hand, look at Howard. On the later Gaither videos he was on he could hardly sustain a note. I always wonder if he had had professional training, how much better off he would’ve been vocally over time. Another example is Hovie Lister. The years of shouting as an emcee and preacher and singing ruined his voice. By the end he could barely carry a tune anymore. Yeah the cancer didn’t help, but I wonder how much better off he would’ve been had he had professional vocal lessons. I’m all for it!

  15. ton of Fun wrote:

    Over at the SN there is a press release from Daywind about Oliver North making a surprise visit to L5’s Celebration event. I get their email newsletter and Scott Fowler had mentioned the appearance by North several months ago. Do the record companies even check their own artists websites? The press release makes it sound like North just happen to drop in to the event. Give me a break!

  16. Norm Graham wrote:

    Bo Diddley is dead. In light of some things I’ve read lately. Bo’s advice to musicians might be good advice for those ones in SGM.

    “I tell musicians, ‘Don’t trust nobody but your mama,’ ” he said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in 2005. “And even then, look at her real good.”

  17. Cliff Cerce wrote:

    The faster the lyric - the more you have to over-pronounce it on stage. You have to “bite” those consonants to make the words understood. Though it seems exaggerated as you are doing it, it results in clarity out in the seats.

    James Blackwood used to tell the crowds, 50 years ago, that he was in Flint, Michigan when a man asked him why southerners like The Blackwoods sang so fast - yet talked so slow.

    James replied it was probably because “you Yankees” talk so fast - yet sing so slow.

  18. Madison Easter wrote:

    Angie M-

    We were actually talking about this today.

    About four years ago, we ran into a situation where we booked two cruises back-to-back. Anyone that has ever gone as an artist on a cruise can tell you how stressful it can be on your voice, between talking to fans and performing multiple times a day. After those two cruises Mom was vocally exhausted. She visited a specialist in Nashville that instructed her to take two full weeks vocal rest. She was very faithful to his instructions and when the two weeks were up it was a night and day difference, and that’s really all she did.

    Since then her voice has been remarkably different. I realize this wasn’t necessarily what everyone else was talking about, but I thought it’d be ok to share since you asked.

  19. RF wrote:

    Speaking of Bo Diddley…stopped in at a local Baptist church because I was encouraged by a co-worker to come hear their “praise band.” Oh boy.

    They started out with a song that I swear (and I don’t take that lightly) was Bo Diddley reincarnated. Same beat. Same sing-song melody over and over. When I mentioned to them it sounded like Bo, they got insulted.

    What are people thinking?

    Btw, it was hard on the ears.

  20. Laughing out loud wrote:

    #7 (Ben) Your post seems really funny after hearing your song - What On Earth Are You Doing - You may need to put your words into action with you and your group.

    I agree with you on this!

  21. David Bruce Murray wrote:

    #15
    Could it be that it was a surprise for the fans who were there and hadn’t seen the website prior to attending?

    Fowler’s quote didn’t really imply that HE was surprised when North showed up to plug his latest book.

  22. philip elwood wrote:

    Re:the documentary made of the 50th NQC. Go to Martin Roth’s site, Southerngospelblog, and scroll down to ‘BBC goes to Gloryland’, that’s the docu you’re looking for.

  23. art wrote:

    I’ve enjoyed the stories about the Cats on the previous thread. Their Farewell Celebration broadcast and CD were my own personal watershed and my intro to SG.

    Does anyone have a source — online or in print — for the whole, complete, insider, not-just-for-press-release truth about the Cats? I love those guys.

  24. Ben Harris wrote:

    #20 YOu mind explaining What on Earth you’re talking about? Send me an email if you wish.

  25. sockpuppet wrote:

    Friday, in referring to Scott McClellan and his “tell-all” memoir, Jonah Goldberg made this statement:
    “Not since America’s most revered feckless crapweasel, former Vermont Sen. James Jeffords, switched parties have Beltway Republicans been more eager to sew a half-starved ferret into someone’s body cavity. ”
    After I got up off of the floor, I started to wonder, Who is Southern Gospel’s most revered feckless crapweasel? I know who I would nominate and I’m sure he’d get a strong portion of the votes, but what do you think?

    full article here http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NGVhY2JjMzkzNDc5OGMwMzdlYzY1NmQzNzAyYzZhODA=&w=MA== that was only one of the “primo” quotes

  26. Brian wrote:

    Well, I’ll try that again…

    Ben,
    Don’t even react. It’s not worth it. Sounds like someone trying to get a rise out of ya. Way to much flame throwing around here. You can’t have a civil conversation here anymore without someone trying to start a flame war or something. I’m losing interest quick and I don’t think I am alone on that one.
    I hear folks talk about others that don’t use their real name, or whole name. Obviously I don’t use my whole, or real name, you choose, or leave a web address for the group I am associated with. Because even though I would be surprised if anyone here knew who I was, I and my group would surely be the next alcoholic, women chasing, gay, no singing, bunch of wannabees out there. Nothing could be further from the truth and it means way to much to me to subject myself and my partners to that kind of garbage.

  27. Realistic wrote:

    Just to clarify an important word from #25:

    Definition of feckless:

    1: weak, ineffective
    2: worthless, irresponsible

  28. jbb wrote:

    I have never taken voice lessons, but, we are a part-time, local, weekend group. We practice at least twice a week, but, I have never been able to figure out that “breathing” while you sing thing….I don’t have problems getting my breaths at the right places, but, sometimes on really fast songs, I run out of air. I use to associate some of it with weight, but, I am 40lbs. lighter now. That has really helped in a lot of things.

  29. philip elwood wrote:

    Ben.I’m Irishlad and you know what i think about your music, from previous posts,and that is…TERRIFIC. There’s some seriously twisted folk out there.Keep it up buddy you’ve a great sound.

  30. Leebob wrote:

    Interesting thread indeed. When it comes to musicians, some of the most talented simply could play what they heard and felt. They couldn’t tell you if they were playing in C or High P. Then there are other extremely talented individuals who can only play what they see on paper. Ask them to deviate and it is like brain surgery. Then there are a few rare birds that can actually read and hear music.

    The youngest brother is one of the first set. 5 years ago when he joined us, the middle brother heard the voice of a tenor in the younger. With some training and proper vowel alignments he has become a rather accomplished tenor. By the way, the middle brother is the rare breed that reads and hears music. I tend to see what is on paper. It’s kind of cool how God gave each of us exactly what we needed in vocals and in personality to come up with a good sounding group.

    In conclusion, vocal training will help in your voice’s long term health and your overall ministry effectiveness because…”you cannot penetrate the heart if it can’t get through the ears.”

  31. BUICK wrote:

    Of course you cannot require that SG musicians take voice lessons. I’m sure it would cultivate the talent of most and prolong the career/ministry of many. But the marketplace is what makes the demands. If someone will hire an untrained singer who cannot read music (Mark Lowery said he couldn’t and had to have Guy Penrod record his parts so he could learn them by rote), then they will sing. If no one will hire them (or come to hear them) then they will not sing for a living.

    It is nearly always a good thing for a professional to polish his craft. But there are, and always have been, some remarkable talents that have had no formal training.

    But on the subject of “Who is Southern Gospel’s most revered feckless crapweasel?” I’m pleased to note that this was post #25, June 4th at 2:08 p.m. and as of yet (June 4 at 10:53 p.m.) not one sucker has hit on that bait. WAY TO GO, GUYS! We’re learning.

    Perhaps, suckpuppet, who asked the question deserves a nomination. And then I’d move that the nominations cease and he get the “award” by default.)

  32. Glenn wrote:

    DMB,

    There is no one I respect more as a Southern Gospel aficionado, but give me a break; there was not one person in attendance that did not know.

  33. Zack Swain wrote:

    #20 I’d be really interested in knowing what it is your implying to Mr.Ben Harris here. Anyone that is a true gospel music fan or even has the slightest ear for music could gladly tell you Ben has one of the finest groups if not the Finest sounding group out there today. Southern sound has one of the tightest sounds in Gospel music today with guys that not only know how to sing their parts, but as well know what their singing as they do it. Of course, This is just my opinion. You could always take that and $4.00 and go get you a gallon of gas…

    …but i’m sure others would agree…

  34. sockpuppet wrote:

    BUICK,
    You are right, that was a cheesy post that didn’t deserve a response. I was hoping Nick Bruno would get up off of his alias and finally name the pond scum he so often refers to, but in a safe, nonlibelous way.
    I guess I was also hoping to get at least one response for the 2 guys trying to stick it to Naomi Sego Reader, but on further consideration, even the person I was thinking of nominating didn’t even fit the qualifications.
    As “Realistic” pointed out, “feckless” means ineffective - and no matter how self-revered and how big a crapweasel, you really cannot accuse Rick Hendrix of being ineffective. So I rescind and otherwise withdraw my post, sort of.

  35. KDM wrote:

    #28…an excellent example of why voice training is a good idea. One thing you learn during lessons is how to breathe properly. You ever see those opera guys who can hold a note for about six years without seeming to put forth any effort? They don’t have greater lung capacity than the rest of us; they just know how to use their air.

    Most people breathe from the chest and shoulders (called clavicular breathing) when at rest. But if you notice yourself when you’re really out of breath and gasping, your belly is what seems to be doing the work instead of the shoulders. This is abdominal breathing. This is the kind of breathing singers use. When you breathe from the abdomen, you can suck in a lot more air, faster, and with less effort. Then you can tank up quickly on those fast songs, and hold those long notes out without gassing.

    Now this is easier said than done. It takes practice. You have to train your abdominal muscles to take over your breathing. First, isolate these muscles. Lie flat on your back and breathe normally, and you’ll feel the muscles in your sides, abs, and lower back expanding and contracting. These are the muscle groups you need. Then, spend a few minutes a day focusing on these muscles when you breathe while sitting or standing. Then try using them while you practice singing. Over time, using these muscles will become habitual and you won’t have to think about it anymore. You’ll be amazed how this increases your staying power.

    Hope I wasn’t too wordy, and that this helps!

  36. Kyle wrote:

    William Lee Golden tried out for the Speers back in the mid-60’s, but they turned him down because he couldn’t read music. He knew the basic theory, but couldn’t read the music on the page.

  37. Leebob wrote:

    #35KDM…if you lay on your back and don’t think about it your abdomen muscles automatically do the breathing. Our mind tells us it is all from the lungs and then we take this large breath (this started as a child) and presto, we lose all since of what is natural. It is only when we really think to breath we have to then focus. It is basically unlearning a learned very bad habit.

  38. Ron Hostetler wrote:

    I can’t find it right now, but some have questioned why someone would post anonymously. I offer a few explanations:

    1. Some of us may be industry insiders, with positive motives, making positive comments about artists and/or cd’s we are promoting. Some readers, if they knew who we were, might look at those remarks as simply shameless self-promotion. In reality, they may just be an honest expression of appreciation for the artist or work, with no ulterior motives. Besides, not all self-promotion is bad.
    2. Some of us may be industry insiders, has-beens, or wanna-bes, with less-than-positive motives or an axe to grind. Some readers, if they knew who we were, might look at those remarks and take them for what they are – bitterness – and therefore look at us in less-than-favorable light.
    3. Some of us may be bashful fans, who have something constructive to say, but don’t care about being spotlighted as to true identity.
    4. Some of us may be bashful fans who, if you knew our names, it really wouldn’t matter, since you still wouldn’t know who we were.
    5. Some of us may be fans who use inside jokes. I know a couple of people who use inside joke-names, and if you think about them, they are pretty funny.
    6. Some of us may use our nicknames. I recently read a comment answering someone’s question, and from the comment, I thought I might know that person, but had not paid any attention to the poster’s name. When I went back and read the name, I recognized it to be my niece’s nickname. (Hi, Jenn!) Again, someone you wouldn’t know, so it didn’t really matter. But she did help answer the puzzle-of-the-day.
    7. Some of us may use anonymous pseudonyms because we’re wise enough to know how stupid some of our remarks make us appear. And we don’t want that.

    There are probably other reasons, valid or otherwise, but these are what came to my mind.

  39. disrespectful_1 wrote:

    I, for one, am glad Avery starts us a new thread occaisionally, as it doesn’t take long for my A.D.D. to kick in.

    Oh, look! A butterfly!

    Where’ my ritalin? Where’s my prozac?

  40. quartet-man wrote:

    #39 There are more reasons. Here are a few more:

    I am quartet-man on many boards. In a sense it is my identity. Some people on these boards know me personally including my name etc. In fact, sometimes the nickname stands out more than the real name or if there are more than one person with your first name, it can help.

    I chose quartet-man long before this, but on another board I was threatened by a person who disagreed with my stance against homosexuality. He threatened my with showing up at the house, identity theft, sending a virus and so on. He was an ex-con and although I didn’t really expect him to show up, it is a reminder of how wacky some people can be and the wisdom in not putting everything online where it is out of your control and there forever. Remember that there have been a few tv and movie stars who have been murdered by some wacko. That isn’t to say that most or all of us are on the same level, but all it takes is one person who is several fries short of a happy meal to freak out on someone who stands out for whatever reason.

    Besides, look at the threats Avery just said have been made here. It is possible.

    I heard of someone here in town who used their real name on a local board and who had magazine subscriptions and other things signed up for and sent to his house. More likely than not, it was from someone who disagreed with his views on the board. I believe there was circumstantial evidence to that effect too. He also had threats made to his house and family.

    Sometimes maybe people feel like they can be someone else. I am a quartet-man so that is a reasonable name for me, but some people choose names for what they would like to be or to show a side they normally hold back.

    Sometimes maybe people want to share something that they believe in and strongly, but don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings. Say a group X fan really didn’t like a particular choice or album and wanted to share that, but didn’t want to do it to where their friends in the group would know they didn’t think this particular one stacked up.

    Other times it truly is that someone feels more brave to say things anonymously than they would in person, so they hide behind a name so they can put it out there without dealing with the fallout.

    However, I guess, some things people might want to get out there that could ruin their vocation. Say group X has a member that knows a particular thing is going on in the industry that isn’t right, but doesn’t want to be seen as a whistle blower or have the whole group suffer due to their telling it.

  41. Ron Hostetler wrote:

    Quartet-man, thanks for the additional insight. I see your point exactly. There ARE a lot of crazies out there (and in here, too, as a matter of fact).

    Blessings!

  42. quartet-man wrote:

    I forgot another reason. :) Some artists want to be here and see what is said without fans feeling that they can’t speak their minds. So, it really works both ways. :)

  43. Ben Harris wrote:

    I have never tried to hide my identity, I have no problem with others who do mind you, as long as they are not tearing down someone without justification. (Come to think of it, there is no justification for doing so). I have principles I live by, just as most do, and people with life styles that I find out of bounds may offend me, but it is not my place to tell the entire world how I feel about their transgressions, as those are my beliefs alone and I am not arrogant enough to believe that every thought I have is 100% correct. There is a huge possibility I could be wrong…just ask my wife. :)

  44. Ben Harris wrote:

    Actually the burning question of the day is…………Does a centipede ever get restless leg syndrome?

  45. quartet-man wrote:

    I want to make sure that it is understood that my quartet-man name was used before I made the comments that got the guy riled. It was not the reason I chose it. My point was that it is a good argument to keeping personal info, personal.

    I am also not one to tell everybody who does wrong in my interpretation of the Word that they are. The subject was being discussed and I weighed in on my beliefs. I do think it isn’t love to not share these things because of being afraid of offending. Better to risk offending them than their not hearing the Word. If they disagree or choose to go against it, I will leave it alone. I did what I could. I liken it to the talents in the parable. It isn’t good if we are afraid to share the Word or our interpretation of it because we might not always have it 100% right or afraid of the fallout, we will.

    Don’t get me wrong, I am not constantly preaching to someone on every infraction. I am responsible for living it before them and answering questions honestly if they ask. However, when we are debating ideas online or someone blatantly tries to be proactive and tell people sin is not sin, I have to respond.

  46. quartet-man wrote:

    I also want to add that i had been warned about protecting your personal info before I first got online. I kept it in mind and did to some degree, but also sort of laughed at ones I found too paranoid until I experienced a taste myself.

  47. scope wrote:

    Or, like me, your reason for posting anonymously is that you have a family member in the business who either doesn’t want me speaking out publically, or doesn’t want my opinions to be constued as theirs.

  48. not a grammarian wrote:

    Ben,
    Yes, but since it’s just the ONE leg ……

  49. David Bruce Murray wrote:

    I wish I had $5 for every time I’ve been mistaken for the Dixie Melody Boys.

  50. sockpuppet wrote:

    OK, I give up. I guess I’m the only petty, smallminded backstabber who reads Avery anymore. How I long for the good old days.

  51. not a grammarian wrote:

    2 interesting if unrelated quotes I got on a “junk” email today
    The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. ~Tim Reeter
    If you believe everything you read, you’d better not read. - - Japanese Proverb

  52. jbb wrote:

    Since it’s an open thread: We were so honored to be in service with The Perry’s on Friday evening. It’s so amazing that when everyone gets out of the way, God just moves in and takes over. It was an awesome service and as usual, they were “right on”. This week we get to be with The Whisnants. Have never heard them live, but, we love there music and already know that God is going to bless this service too.

  53. Tyler Hochstetler wrote:

    #38 - you wouldn’t have a brother (and former SuperBowl champion QB) named Jeff would you? :D

  54. Ron Hostetler wrote:

    Tyler - I have a brother named Jeff.

    But he’s no football player. He, like all my brothers & me, were band nerds (but he did play some baseball as a kid).

    Judging by your name, I assume you & I are distant relatives. Descendant of Jacob?

  55. Tyler Hochstetler wrote:

    I guess we’re related. Yes, I’m from Jacob’s line. I spell my name “Hoch” though, but they all come from the same guy. :D

    It’s just funny because there’s a Ron and Jeff Hostetler whom I’m related (and likely you as well) who played NFL ball in the late 80’s and 90’s. Jeff won a SuperBowl with the NY Giants.

    Nice to meet you, and I’m sure everyone else is loving this genealogy discussion. :D

  56. Ron Hostetler wrote:

    Tyler,
    I’m no football player, either. Nor am I the motivational speaker & author as the other Ron. But they must both be GREAT guys, with such as wonderful name.

    And you could probably increase your standing if you’d Anglicize your name.

    Just joking. Great to meet you! Are you on Facebook?

    Apologies to all, for having to endure our little one-on-one here.

  57. 1 old fan wrote:

    What ever happened to the Wahob’s? I haven’t heard of them for 25 years or more. Does anyone know if they’re still around?

  58. wackythinker wrote:

    It’s “Wauhob”. Check out their MySpace:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=44868139

  59. Jim2 wrote:

    1 old fan,
    I wish you hadn’t asked that question. I’ve already gotten 3 e-mails with clips imbedded or a link to their myspace. I guess that means my friends think I’m you.

  60. 2miles" wrote:

    Don’t know how many of you are interested but I just started reading Rick Bragg’s “The Prince of Frogtown”…page 6 talks about a family gathering at his home and in the back ground on the black and white TV set came the sounds of “…and now, folks, from Pensacola, Florida, with sand in their shoes, it’s the Florida Boys…”

  61. Tyler Hochstetler wrote:

    Just type my name in search in Facebook, and send a friend request.

    And no, I’d never stoop to name-changing to hide my identity :D jk

  62. Justa Noutsider wrote:

    I would venture to guess that Ma and Pa Wauhob are probably in the Heavenly choir by now…they looked somewhat advanced in age 25 years ago.

    I have a bumper sticker on one of my old anvil cases that proudly proclaims I’M A WAUHOB FAN!!!

  63. CVH wrote:

    About the Wauhobs, I first heard of them from friends when I moved to Iowa 25 years ago (they were based in Sioux City). I’ll admit I could only laugh at their music and yet there seemed to be a sincerity in what they did, no matter how poor the quality. I later did some studio work in Sioux City and actually was introduced to the guy who engineered their album. He said it was just one of those, ‘roll the tape and don’t look back’ sessions.

    I spoke with one of the brothers who still lives in the area earlier today. As Justa Noutsider suggested, the mom and dad passed away a number of years ago. They were the ‘main cogs’ of the operation as he put it and things ground to a halt with their passing. Neither of the other brothers have been involved in music since. He confirmed that as misunderstood as they may have been, they were sincere in sharing the gospel through music and they knew that people made fun of them but it didn’t seem to bother them.

    I have a double-length cassette I got from them (by the mail, never saw them live) and burned it to CD a few years ago. What makes me laugh is not just how bad it is but how carefree they are, unaffected by the constraints of pitch, tempo or intonation. We have a lot of conversations here about quality vs. effectiveness, ministry value vs. entertainment value. I lovingly give the Wauhobs a pass and only cringe slightly to think that mom and pop are a part of that heavenly music machine.

  64. CVH wrote:

    Sorry…forgot to mention, I checked out the MySpace page attributed to the Wauhobs and had my suspicions based on the content and posts. In fact, according to Ron, the brother I spoke with, it has nothing to do with the family; someone obviously decided to have a good time with them and their reputation.

  65. 1 old fan wrote:

    Justa — many of us “looked somewhat advanced in age 25 years ago” and are still around. Look at your parents’ pictures from 25 years ago, and then look in the mirror. Yikes!

    50 or 60 doesn’t look as bad as it used to, thank God.

    And 50 or 60 is getting younger and younger all the time.

  66. Concert goer wrote:

    Are there any big Southern Gospel music events going on in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee or Kentucky during the weekends of June 20-22 or June 27-29?

  67. Jim2 wrote:

    Concert Goer,
    If memory serves, Ernie Haase and Signature Sound will be at 2 Rivers Baptist Church on the 21st (across from Opryland Hotel in Nashville).
    please check Ernie’s website or Two Rivers site before driving long distances, I just remember that it was on a weekend that I would be unable to attend.

  68. Jim2 wrote:

    Concert Goer,
    Yes,that is the correct weekend, because it is the same day that the 77’s are playing at First Baptist Hendersonville, and I can’t make it to THAT concert either.

  69. benjamin wrote:

    Well, I just returned home from a concert here in CA. How lame it is for a so called professional group “Poet Voices” to arrive after the concert has already started. When they finally got on stage they acted as if they had been traveling by covered wagon for days, very confused and the background vocals were awful. I will never go to a Poet Voices concert again. The two guys with Phil Cross weren’t even the guys that were with him last year.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked * Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

*

*