A Wal-Mart Homecoming

Larknews.com has the scoop (h/t, Tom). The stage will be in the women’s clothing section and Bill Gaither promises a celebration of low prices and gospel favorites:

For believers, coming to Wal-Mart is like coming home.”

Gloria Gaither may also read a poem over the store’s loudspeakers about cheap affordable grace.

Comments

1. apathetic wrote:

Those on this board continue to live in a state of denial about the state of SG music. The headline for the article referenced in this post says it all. It’s right there in black and white.

Due to declining sales, next Gaither video will be A Wal-Mart Homecoming

BENTONVILLE, Ark. — As its target audience slowly but surely departs for their own heavenly homecoming, Bill Gaither’s Homecoming video series has dropped in sales.

2. not a grammarian wrote:

I understand that Larry the Cable Guy gives his testimony on this one, something about “Jesus Got ‘er Done - at Calvary”

3. Jason Miller wrote:

I hear there is going to be a section featuring some of the great bass singers: “Always low voices. Always.”

4. Kyle wrote:

Place your bets now for how many people BELIEVE this….

5. not a grammarian wrote:

At least 1 guy named “apathetic” - but now you’ve blown it.

6. Diana wrote:

This has GOT to be a joke!

7. Bubba Smith wrote:

Check it out folks…

8. Irishlad wrote:

Wonder will it have canned laughter.

9. Derek wrote:

Don’t give Bill any ideas! If it’ll sell a few more videos, he’s likely to try it! Stranger things have happened….

10. CVH wrote:

Diana…larknews.com is a Christian parody website. Joel Kilpatrick is the creator/writer. He does great satirical work…as is obvious by how some people are reacting to this thread.

11. apathetic wrote:

OK. Jokes on me. However, the first sentence of the article is dead on. I didn’t read far enough past that to see the joke.
    Truly a case of art imitating life.

12. GospelMusicFan wrote:

How about our Douglas Harrison merging with your choice from the other Douglas Harrisons of the world.
    Won’t have to worry about changing their name.

13. chickadee wrote:

When I read this, I thought about the Ray Stevens song, years ago–”The Streak.” Gaither and Company in ladies wear? I can see it now!! NOT a purty pikture.

14. not a grammarian wrote:

I think I saw some of those T-shirts on Young Harmony’s table last week. He could make a buck selling some “World’s Best Singer” polo’s, too.
    Any truth to the rumor that Ray Stevens has a gospel version of “Guitarzan” that will be premiered on the upcoming Gaither Wal-Mart DVD?

15. LW wrote:

Well if ya can’t get it at Wal-mart then ya just don’t need it! LOL!!!

16. cdguy wrote:

Bill might like this idea, as it would give him some assurance WalMart would “Always” (pun intended) have his product on the shelf.

17. Diana wrote:

Thanks, CVH (#10). I’m usually the most gullible person in the world and I wondered what was going on!!!

18. not a grammarian wrote:

Seriously though, the new Homecoming Magazine advertizes a Gordon Mote DVD and a Gospel Bluegrass/Country DVD. Does anyone know when either of those will be available in stores? I’m one of those who tries to support my neighborhood Christian Bookstore, so I’d rather not order straight from Bill.

19. Zack wrote:

ok, i’m a little unclear about this. Has this DVD already been filmed? If not when is going to be filmed? This is something I’ve got to drive to go see…lol

20. Dexter wrote:

Oh come ON….as long as there are blue hairs and overly groomed boys in Value City suits….Southern Gospel will survive….

21. Southern Gospel Fan wrote:

06.17.08 The Best of Gordon Mote DVD releases July 22… but you can preorder it now

22. cdguy wrote:

And it appears the Mote dvd will be available through retail the same date.

“Go out into the highways and buyways . . . ” and buy from your favorite Christian retailer. If WalMart’s not going to sponsor the Gaither tour after all, we shouldn’t buy from them. :-)

23. not a grammarian wrote:

Thanks for the info - Gordon is a phenomenal keyboard player and a really nice guy - it’s cool when it works out that way. I’m glad BG saw fit to give him the platform so more folks could appreciate his God-given talent. I think I can wait 2 weeks for the release date!