Political roundup

From the left: Ralph Stanley endorses Barack Obama. I’m not kidding. One more way bluegrass is not like southern gospel (h/t, M). And, uhm, can we trade Rick Hendrix for Ralph, please? Can someone make that happen?

From the right: Gerald Wolfe’s recent e-letter urging people to remember that Barack Obama supports abortion seems to be getting quite a bit of attention (h/t, everyone who sent me a copy). Here’s a taste:

[A]s Christians, we have values and beliefs that go deeper, and are more important, than our wallets.

Our first question should be…what are the candidates positions on the value of human life?

[snip]

Our next President will be replacing at least two, and maybe three Supreme Court Justices during his term in office.  If you keep up with politics at all, you know the Supreme Court is the most powerful entity in the government, as they “interpret” the laws passed by the Congress, and, in essence, have the power to “make” law.  It was the US Supreme Court that over-turned a State law in the famous “Roe v Wade” decision that made abortion-on-demand a “human right”, resulting in the deaths of tens of millions of innocent Americans over the last thirty-plus years.  Earlier this year, Senator Barrack Obama said “If one of my daughters makes a mistake, I wouldn’t want her to be punished with a child.”  That statement, along with his voting record as an Illinois State Senator, is a clear and undeniable statement on his position concerning the basic human right of “life”.  His election will result in the continued killing of untold millions of living, unborn people.

It goes on like this for a quite a while, but you get the idea.

Maybe it’s just cause my guy’s winning, but does anyone else see the flopsweat seeping through at the edges here? I mean, really: rallying the base is nothing new, but things must be getting bad in Republicanland if the faithful – and I imagine there isn’t a more faithful conservative voter than your average Gerald Wolfe fan, myself excluded – have to be reminded that their guy opposes abortion and the other candidate doesn’t. I got an email a few days back from another southern-gospel bigwig with the subject line “character does matter,” which I think could be loosely translated: hello? [tap, tap, tap] is this thing on? Can we please stop talking about our weak candidate and go back to talking about how foreign the other guy is? (The body of the message was a Charles Krauthammer op-ed, so don’t worry, you didn’t miss anything; also: if you prefer your political commentary in sports analogies, Kevin Drum made the flopsweat point wonderfully last week using a Foreman/Ali comparison.)

And from the self-aggrandizing center: Lori Burger attended the Presidential debates at Belmont last week and hobnobbed with some really famous people. She made an announcement out of this, naturally, and the SG ShowPrep covered it, naturally. Reminds me of another report in the ShowPrep recently about d-lister Cheryl Jackson landing a supporting role in a dinner theater production of a play whose lead was the brunette from Three’s Company, Joyce DeWitt. Please note: Joyce told Cheryl that she keeps her CD in her car all the time and loves her song “Be Still.” Be still, indeed.

Bonus nugget: Back to Hendrix … I got an email from a reporter the other day at the Rothenberg Political Report, a beltway insider political magazine, asking about Rick Hendrix, which suggests either his star is ascendant or at least the reports of his ascendancy are  not going entirely unnoticed. Fwiw.

Comments

1. Charles Brady wrote:

Obviously you’ve never heard Ralph sing?

2. Jim2 wrote:

Here’s a slightly different take on the Obama/abortion issue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxhYampIl7A&eurl=http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/ definitely not the way Gerald would have phrased it, but I think you get the point.

3. SGfan wrote:

I think this is even more disturbing!

4. Realistic wrote:

Change IS so important.

In 2006, the country threw out all those losers in the mid-term election for Congress, because Nancy Pelosi was speaking quite eloquently about how she could be the first female Speaker of the House, and bring gas prices down immediately. (And of course, Nancy said her opponents in Congress were unethical and needed to go.)

So are you better off now than 2 years ago?

And with your dream team of Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House, and Hillary as Senate Majority leader (she’ll replace Harry Reid soon), and Obama as president, you’ll find out if you really love their far-reaching policies as much as you think.

Be careful what you wish for, Doug.

5. Jake wrote:

Change. An interesting word.

Had you questioned the citizens of New York City on September 10, 2001, undoubtedly many of them would have said they wanted change. The mayor’s term was running out, it was time for city elections.

The next day they got their change. Only, it turns out, it wasn’t the kind of change they wanted.

Be careful of those who promise “change” in and of itself. We could easily jump from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.

(And BTW, since the one making the biggest promises of change is a left-wing socialist who is more liberal than Kennedy, you better think twice before casting your vote.)

OK, I’ll get off my soapbox and wait for the stones to come flying. But don’t say I didn’t warn you.

6. Irishlad wrote:

For all of you who haven’t read it,this is what bisbearizona has to say about the RS endorsement.’ Get a grip on the neck of your banjo and listen closely. The Godfather of what is near and dear to the heart and minds of a whole generation of folks has just spoken. Please hear his words’ unquote. Very eloquently put.

7. Harry Peters wrote:

Old Harry Peters can’t reconcile Christian Values and Barack Huessin Obama. It’s like oil and water, they don’t mix.

8. Ann Anderson wrote:

I don’t want to appear confrontational - but - Why do people call Lori - Burger? Her name is Lori Apple - she is the daughter of Lou Ann and Gary Apple; the granddaughter of Ken Apple and the niece of Karen Apple Young. She comes from a family with deep gospel roots - is Burger her stage name?

9. Jake wrote:

I don’t agree with old Harry Peters very often, but in post #7 he is right on!

10. SGfan wrote:

Hey, what do ya know? Harry Peters and I found something to agree on! WOW!

11. rr wrote:

Rallying the base? Doug, is that not what you’re attempting to do? Except the majority of your base has a different set of values than you do.

Cuba once had a young leader emerge that mesmerized his following, because he promised “change”. Change for them did come, and Fidel Castro’s record speaks for itself.

PS–Fidel Castro has endorsed Obama.

12. Angie M wrote:

#8: She bills herself as “Lori,” with no last name. In an interview from a couple years back, she said:

“Lori” is very simple. I wanted people to hear the music and not dwell on a name. It looked great in graphics and was actually something we all thought
    was good marketing. Plus, if I ever get married far down the road, I won’t have to change my name.

Herweb site used to be entitled, “Anthony Burger’s Daughter, Lori.” It isn’t reading that way to me now (but I am blind and using screen-reading software, so something could be up…though I don’t think so). It looks like that was only changed very, very recently. In any case, I think it’s sad if she feels she needs to try to be circumspect about her true identity (but of course, I don’t pretend to know anyone’s motive).

13. Eric wrote:

Lori apparently didn’t inherit her father’s musical ability.

14. P&S wrote:

Our local station (that features a short segment of bluegrass gospel each day) that featured some classic Stanley Brothers music has had to stop because of the backlash of Ralph Stanleys Obama endorsement.

15. Jake wrote:

#8 Ann — I wasn’t in the loop when whatever happened, happened with divorces & remarriage in Lori’s family. I assume Lori’s parents divorced (for whatever reason), the Burgers divorced (for whatever reason), and then Anthony Burger and Lori’s mother (Lu Ann) were married.

Lori obviously had coaching and connections from her “stepfather” which helped her get started. (Nothing wrong with that.) They seem to have had a close relationship. Lori even sang a solo on Anthony’s “Masterpiece” video. There is also a close connection with Anthony’s parents, even since Anthony’s death. If you look on the Anthony Burger website you will continue to see pictures of Lori and LuAnn with Anthony’s parents, and there have been pictures of Lori with Anthony’s two boys as well. There was even a picture of Lu Ann and Lori and Anthony’s parents at the recent high school graduation of Anthony’s younger son.

I don’t remember hearing Lori referred to as “Lori Burger” but maybe in some people’s minds they think of her that way due to the family connection. Also, more recent fans who don’t know that there was divorce & remarriage might just “assume” that she was Anthony’s daughter. I believe her website has always just referred to her as “Lori.” For what it is worth, I haven’t seen her use the “Apple” name either. Whether or not she has a close relationship with her father, whether or not there was/is bad blood in the family over the past, I have no idea. Her stated reason of wanting a name that can remain the same even if she ever gets married is certainly a valid and plausible explanation.

16. Marj wrote:

#8 Your post was informational. Lori, herself, has caused the confusion about her last name. She is so “touchy” about ANY last name being used. I knew that she was Anthony Burger’s step-daughter, but had never heard her actual last name until now. She created the mystery with the public regarding her last name…truth be told, who cares? Why not be who you are?

17. GospelMusicFan wrote:

Pay attention to the “margin of error” factor
    in presidential polling this year.
    The press is starting to talk about it because our brief history polling starting back in the primaries of last winter like in New Hampshire tells us that the voters are not revealing to the pollsters their true feelings.
    Have you ever receive a poll call on your cell phone?
    The “Do Not Call” list does not help the pollsters.
    The DNC list allows for a poll call but creates a backlash response when a voter is on the DNC list.

Have you ever noticed that the networks used a the poll with the biggest poll difference of the day like the Gallup or the AMC/Washington Post most favorable to their liking?
    All the networks do it from ABC to CNN to Fox in between.

Gerald Wolfe passes my political test this week.
    He spelled all the names right and gave me tea to my liking.

18. NonSGfan wrote:

Ole Harry and Ole nonSG agree. Wow.

Barak has an antichrist spirit. He is a Gospel of Oprah follower. Just youtube the words “Oprah denies Christ” and you’ll find her doctrine.

He will appoint supreme court justices that are pro-abortion…which is an economic and moral catastrophe of the next generation.
    Get ready ladies and gentlement..

Things are about to change.

19. onemadeupmind wrote:

Lori Apple was the daughter of Gary and Lu Anne Apple. Gary was hired to be Anthony’s sound man/bus driver years ago when he first went solo. Am I the only one who remembers this? Stuff like this makes you go, “hmmmmmmmmm.”

20. Bryce wrote:

I’ve been puzzled of late as to how the pieces fit together. IIRC, Gary was Anthony’s sound engineer in the early nineties.

21. wackythinker wrote:

Harry, you say you “can’t reconcile Christian Values and Barack Huessin Obama”. How do you reconcile Christian values with an admitted adulterer, and a woman who had to get married and then parades her unwed pregnant teenage daughter around to the masses?

Just curious.

Frankly, I really can’t think of any polictician worth supporting as vigorously as so many commentors on this blog (or in many other circles, too, for that matter) seem to. They’re all a bunch of liars. Otherwise, they’d never have reached the positions they have achieved.

22. jebbar wrote:

I get so sick of the abortion issue. Abortion doesn’t change no matter who is in office. Republicans have been in for 8 years and I haven’t seen them stop it. Just because they say they are against it doesn’t mean they are stopping it.

23. rod wrote:

You couldn’t get a job at McDonalds and become district manager after 143 days of experience.

You couldn’t become chief of surgery after 143 days of experience of being a surgeon.

You couldn’t get a job as a teacher and be the superintendent after 143 days of experience.

You couldn’t join the military and become a colonel after 143 days of experience.

You couldn’t get a job as a reporter and become the nightly news anchor after 143 days of experience.

BUT….

‘From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United State Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in the Senate.

That’s my reasoning…I am pro-life, against gay marriage and all that…However that has nothing to do with me not voting for BO…EXPERIENCE. He’s a racist (Has to be to sit under the pastor he did for 20 years), He’s in-experienced, and most of all he’s a liar. I know you won’t post this but…Whatever.

24. LW wrote:

What a shame so many in our country are being blinded by someone with no subtance, and you should check out where his loyaties really are. He is not what our country needs now or forever.
    How easily some are dazzled.

25. JW wrote:

“Maybe it’s just cause my guy’s winning, but does anyone else see the flopsweat seeping through at the edges here?”

Puhleeeeze, which party coined the phrase “Borking” a candidate? Democrat darlings the Clintons are masters at the game.

Really, Doug, your smug attempts to claim the high ground for the Democrats are silly.

Both parties use the same tactics all the time. Al Gore uses the same tactic claiming the sky is falling, Dems claim the Repubs are going to steal Grandma’s social security check, etc.

BTW, what specific policies of Obama have convinced you to vote for him?

26. SGfan wrote:

#21 wackythinker

I can’t believe I am actually going to defend Ole Harry Peter’s position on an issue, WOW! All humanity is product of a fallen nature. No one ever said that John McCain or Sarah Palin were perfect. They have their own issues as do you. The point is not the fall, but what the person does after the fall. Do they waller in it (continue to support the sin as Obama does with abortion, gay rights and hanging out with terrorrists) or do they pick themselves up, dust themselves off, admit they were wrong, and move forward. John McCain in the Saddleback Forum admitted his first marriage failed because of his own doing. He took the fault where he deserved it. He admitted his failure. Sarah Palin has a daughter that made some bad decisions. How many teenagers do that? The point in that situation is, they took a bad situation and chose life instead of death. They chose to accept the situation for what it was, realize you could not change what had already happened, and decided not to try to balance one bad decision with another bad one. That is why you can reconcile Christian values with the McCain/Palin ticket. In some ways, they are a picture of what grace is. That is not to say that they are perfect. They will make more mistakes. There will be issues where I and others disagreee with them.

I have not seen Obama or Biden be able to admit to their failures. I have seen them constantly try to place the blame (partially or solely) on someone or something else. I see a message lived in them that is contrary to the truth of scripture. I see in their stances and records a culture of death, a rationalization of immorality, and no personal responsibility. That is what I see and hear from Obama and Biden. I challenge everyone to watch the Saddleback Civil Forum again. Pay attention to what is said by McCain and what is said by Obama. When you get into the meat of the answers, it will be eye opening. That forum helped me make up my mind. It was far better than any presedential debate we have had yet. Check it out for yourselves.

27. Harry Peters wrote:

Wacky Thinker, regretably, I find more to agree with than disagree with about your post in some ways. John McCain is an admitted adulterer. He also says it was one of the biggest mistakes of his life. Not that this is about party lines, but did Bill Clinton ever admit admit doing anything wrong ever, or did he decide what the “meaning of the word Is, is?” Second, Sarah Palin’s daughter is married out of wedlock and has decided to let the baby live. Contrast that to Barack Obama, who says, that he wouldn’t want to see his daughter “punished” by having to have a baby if she made that same mistake.

Finally, there is “Reverend” (to use the termly veeeeeery loosely) Jeremiah Wright. Are you really comfortable with a commander in chief who will not honor the American Flag and whose wife says the only time she has been proud of this country in her life is now that prince Obama is about to be coronated? In regard to Jeremiah Wright’s sickening vitriolic sermon

I can’t even bring my lips to repeat what this so called man of God says in CHURCH. And Obama has a 20 year relationship with this guy (who introduced him to the Christian Faith) and has no idea how he thinks?

Barack Huessin Obama has nothing to fear in regard to a lynch mob. I don’t think we execute people for treason anymore.

Can you imagine what kind of supreme court justices a guy like Obama is going to nominate and get confirmed by Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and let’s not forget Barney Frank (mother/father of the Fannie Mae collapse). If Barney Frank doesn’t go to prision, someone owes that dude at Enron an apology.

Wacky Thinker, politicians do make me sick…probably both of us. Can you really say that you think we would have remained safe after 9/11 if Barack Huessin Obama had been commander in chief?

Old Harry Peters is fasting and praying for a miracle. Everything that you have ever read about in history that has set America apart and made us great is about to go down in flames. Where are the great ones when we need them?

28. Paul wrote:

#21 Whack job,
    For that matter, how can you reconcile some of the biblical characters like Abraham, Jacob, David and Samson with “christian values”?

29. Jake wrote:

Wackythinker (#21) — I am not Harry Peters, and I am sure he will answer for himself, but since I stated that I agree with what he said on the subject, let me give my 2 cents worth.

Yes, there are skeletons in the closets of both the McCain and Palin families (as there are in most families). However, I have never heard either of them trying to justify their past transgressions. John McCain is on record as saying the breakup of his first marriage was a great moral failure on his part. He acknowledges that. Sarah Palin said she knows her daughter made a big mistake, but the family is not going to withdraw its love and support from her and her fiance just because they are pregnant before marriage. That isn’t excusing the sin, it is dealing with the consequences of sin in the best way possible. (And, it should be noted, they have not encouraged the young couple to get an abortion either. Nor did Sarah Palin and her husband consider abortion when they knew their youngest child had Down Syndrom.)

The point is, they are not living in the past, nor are they justifying the errors of the past.

Barak Obama, on the other hand, currently has and continues to hold to a pro-choice stance. It is not in his past, but in the present. It will affect the way he governs and the decisions he makes. His current moral values are a factor that should be considered — especially by Christians who claim to hold to a pro-life position. Since the next president may well have 2 or 3 Supreme Court justices to appoint, it is a major factor for consideration to those of us who believe abortion is wrong.

30. 1 old fan wrote:

Are we electing a president, or a pastor?

31. Jake wrote:

#30 — We are electing a president. However, while he is not our “spiritual leader” per se, he is the leader of the moral direction of our nation. Moral values do count. As go our leaders, so goes our nation. And that applies to all leaders, not only the president.

32. 1 old fan wrote:

Jake, if our president is supposed to be the moral leader of our country, that would explain the general moral decline of our nation over the past 100 years or more.

Why would be put our trust in ANY of these men and women? They’ve not shown themselves to be reliable or trustworthy.

We need to go back to the words of the old hymn (remember those songs they used to sing on Sunday mornings, called “hymns”?): “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.”

If parents were the spiritual leaders of our families (I’m preaching to myself, too), we wouldn’t have to look to the governmental leaders for that. If the church tithed, we wouldn’t have to look for government to feed the poor, tend to the sick, and educate our children. If the church tithed, every church could have their own private school, and not have to charge tuition.

And let’s not forget God’s promise, “If My people, which are called by My Name, will humble themselves and pray, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sins and heal their land.”

Sounds pretty simple to me. Sounds like we need to quit arguing about which politician is better or worse than the other, and put our trust back where it belongs.

But then, maybe I’m wacky, too.

33. Hello? wrote:

Wacky said:
    “Frankly, I really can’t think of any polictician worth supporting as vigorously as so many commentors on this blog (or in many other circles, too, for that matter) seem to.”

Do you have to live up to your name so profoundly?

Indeed, how irrational of you to be unaware that:
    1. Jesus is not running for President this year (or any year).
    2. Politics are by nature pragmatic. You make the most wise choice among the options presented.
    3. You make pragmatic choices about SG music and even defend the fallible artists, but you can’t seem to bring as much logic to the table when choosing between two presidential tickets — one of which will take an already weakened economy and play with it like a rattlesnake with a field mouse in its jaw.

Liberals like you give liberals a bad name. You like to play the devil’s advocate and flirt with liberal thinking, smugly sure that you are “educating” the ignorant conservative readers on this blog, but that would be impossible — because your comments prove you have nothing substantive to offer about real issues.

34. art wrote:

So we know Barack Obama’s middle name. What’s John McCain’s middle name? Does anybody know? Why doesn’t anybody use it?

35. art wrote:

It’s Sidney, according to Wikipedia.

36. jebbar wrote:

I think it’s John “George Bush” McCain

37. Casual Observer wrote:

Back to the “Lori” issue - she has either received bad advice or has an elevated sense of who she is, or will become. No artist in their right mind launches a career with just their first name. You have to earn the right to be recognized by a single name (ala Cher, Whitney, Madonna, Vestel, Celine, Bette). If you notice, all those names are also somewhat unusual. “Lori” is not. The first time I saw an ad from her, I thought this child was either ignorant or an ego maniac - simply because she thought her first name, alone, would become a household word. Even Sandi Patty goes by both names. Lori, you seem like a sweet girl - I don’t care how cute you think it looks in print, pick a last name and try to relaunch your career.

#37 Don’t forget Dolly and Britney. :-)

39. Casual Observer wrote:

…and there’s Reba, Elvis, and Mariah

40. onemadeupmind wrote:

37/38–And who can forget, Mariah, and J-Lo.

41. Harry Peters wrote:

Old Harry Peters has never seen a group of people who identify themselves as “Christians” who are willing to say to hell with what someone believes…and offer such mindless dribble as “are we electing a pastor?” Old Harry Peters would have never (and did not vote for) John McCain in the primary. As a matter of fact, Old Harry Peters was so put out that he threatened to write in a candidate or not vote at all. He still might write in. What I won’t do is support a candidate or a party with values that are 100 percent diametrically opposed to God’s Word and blame it on the inconvenience of politics. No….none of them are perfect…..but some of them are promoting pure evil….and Obama is the poster boy. I’ve never seen a group of people who can have such a clear, unequivocal vision of right and wrong….when you apply it to crucify the wounded in church and yet side step and excuse any and every damned thing when it comes to politics. Where is the moral reasoning in that?

42. NonSGfan wrote:

From Barak’s book, faith of my father..

“I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds blow aginst Them”

43. JW wrote:

Harry Peters, wow! It must be Halloween as I’m truly scaaaaaaared to say I am 100% in agreement.

Unfortunately and sadly, Carville was right, “It’s the econnomy.”

44. wackythinker wrote:

HELLO? — Smug? “Nothing substantive to offer about real issues”? Sounds like the pot and the kettle, to me.

45. DJPhil wrote:

Wow! Someone has kidnapped Harry Peters and is using his name to post here!!! I am actually agreeing with Harry on this thread….If you want to know more about Obama and his “church” read this link
    and then spend a hour or so watching the videos by clicking on “The truth about Barack Hussein Obama revealed” on the home page. It is a real eye-opener!!! The website is by a baptist missionary to muslims.

46. jbb wrote:

Wow, I said over the weekend I wonder if BO could be the “anti-christ”. We are in the end-times. I don’t think it’s gonna be next week, but, fulfillment of scriptures is taking place. We better get our houses in order and really be praying about what is before us.

47. jebbar wrote:

You are dumb as hell if you think Obama is the anti-christ. That’s what the Republicans are using to try and scare the Evangelical voters. And honestly IF you were right and he was….. if you are saved what do you have to worry about?

48. Jake wrote:

Jebbar (#47) — For the record, I don’t think hell is dumb. Hell is a very real place, and is spoken of in the Bible more often than heaven! Furthermore, the devil isn’t dumb. Satan is evil, he is crafty, he parades as both a roaring lion and as an angel of light, but he isn’t dumb. Maybe it isn’t the best figure of speech to use!

49. NonSGfan wrote:

Like i said before..it is ridiculous to say that Barak Is “The antichrist”.

He does not have Jewish blood. I believe that the Antichrist will HAVE to have jewish decent in order for them to accept him as their “messiah” so to speak.

He is NOT the man of perdition, the man of sin…HE IS NOT the antichrist..
    any conjecture that he IS, takes away form the reality of the one that is to come.
    Now, HE MAY HAVE AN ANTICHRIST SPIRIT. LIke Oprah, Madonna, Carlton Pearson and many others..

but he’s not THE MAN.

50. Janet wrote:

#41 HP said:
    “I’ve never seen a group of people who can have such a clear, unequivocal vision of right and wrong….when you apply it to crucify the wounded in church and yet side step and excuse any and every damned thing when it comes to politics. Where is the moral reasoning in that?”

Amen, brother Harry!!

When Doug said, “My guy is winning…” it sounds as though that is the objective. “I want to win…” At what cost? What is lost in the “victory?” “…if a man should gain the whole world, yet lose his soul…”

I live in the state that BO “represents” & I know that my vote won’t count. Never does. But, I vote anyway. It’s about what’s right & standing up for that. I’m not about to trade my conscience for a moment of hollow celebration.

51. Faith wrote:

Wacky #44
    I agree with the Hello? post.

I’ve read your stuff over time and you seem to go for the quick joke or the snide comment. Like talking about a candidate’s marital life. Tacky.

There are plenty of policy issues to discuss. Like who has more experience to handle the economy (Hello? mentioned it).

I mean, what’s scarier? The personal mistakes of somebody’s daughter or voter fraud?

If the bottom line is that you’re voting for Obama, just pick a policy or two and explain why. Otherwise, you’re just wasting our time. Sorry.

52. WA wrote:

I agree that the real Antichrist will be a Jew, but there’s also no doubt in my mind but that Obama reflects that spirit. This will likely be America’s crossroad, should he be elected. I’m heartened that many of the posters here have enough common sense to see the inherent dangers of an Obama administration. McCain/Palin aren’t perfect people either, and I’ve disagreed with a lot of what Pres. Bush has done. Still, to elect a man who has zero experience, and whose 143 days as a US Senator have largely been for the advancement of a Presidential run, is utterly frightening. I have no doubt that as Christians, we will see more negative changes in the (first?) four years of an Obama administration than we have in many decades. May God take pity on America. But then again, perhaps we’ll deserve what will come should that man be elected.

53. wackythinker wrote:

Hello? — I’m not sure you’ve pegged me correctly as a liberal. Most liberals think I’m conservative. Maybe I’m more of a moderate.

Abortions, even though we hate them, are still legal, even though we’ve had several Republican presidents, Republican congresses, and Republican-appointed Supreme Court Justices since Rov v Wade became “law”. What would lead us to believe that would change with another Republican president?

As for gay rights, gays have more rights now than when Bush was elected nearly 8 years ago. What would lead us to believe it will get any better under a McCain administration?

As for taking care of the sick and poor: Democrats have had several opportunities in the last several decades (with Carter and Clinton as presidents, and with several years of a Democratic majority in both houses of Congress). Whatwould lead us to believe it will get any better under an Obama administration?

I can see good points and bad points to both candidates’ economic plans they’re touting this week. Not sure I really like all of either of them. Same with their plans for Iraq.

Just because I present a side of the question you would rather ignore, that doesn’t mean I “have nothing substantive to offer about real issues”.

And since I mentioned abortion rights, and that seems to be one of the 2 major talking points for conservative Christian Republicans, here are a couple of my thoughts:

1 — Since abortion IS now legal, why don’t we work on PREVENTION. Let’s work for the alternatives like adoption and counceling. I don’t really hear enough talk about that.

2 — Abortion is a legal killer, just like alcohol and tobacco are legal killers. Now, I know you’re going to say that drunk drivers do get prosecuted. But the alcohol consumtion, which leads to those deaths, is still legal. Same with tobacco-related cancer deaths.

I really think God expects us, as followers of Him, to look at all the issues He talked about, not just one or two. And I think most citizens of this country, both liberal and conservative (including most Christians) only look at one or two. I don’t believe that’s being the steward God expects of us.

But then, I’m wacky!

54. wackythinker wrote:

Faith — I’ll try to go a little deeper. Sure, her daughter’s mistake is not necessarily Sarah’s fault. I have a kid who’s made some pretty stupid mistakes, and I take very little blame for it. You’re right, I’ve been know to go for a cheap shot.

But I will say this: Sarah Palin is a likable person. She’s folksy, and hold conservative Christian values. But she’s far from ready. Don’t talk address Obama’s lack of experience, unless you’re going to open to hearing about Palin’s lack of preparation. Let’s face it, the few interviews she’s given show a HUGE lack of prep.

And let’s not talk about McCain’s vast experience unless we’re also going to talk about where that experience has gotten us.

Now, do I agree with everything Obama and Michelle and Biden have said over the last several months? Absolutely not. But too many concerned citizens (on both sides of the aisle) want to concentrate on one or two issues. Let’s look at the WHOLE picture.

55. rr wrote:

Much is made of McCain’s age. Has anyone brought up the fact that Obama smokes and both of his parents died at an early age. Plus Biden has had two brain aneurysms which could have killed him. If they both died while in office that would leave Nancy Pelosi as president. I can’t think of a better reason to vote for McCain & Palin. :-D

56. rr wrote:

#50 - Janet said “Btw, Doug - finally understanding that you’re one of THOSE people explains a lot.”

Welcome to Doug’s world. But you and I, Janet, viewthe world through the same glasses, I believe.

Doug apparently grew up in a moderately conservative home. I’m guessing he attended a liberal college to help get him started on his present path.

57. Faith wrote:

Wacky, you just proved my point:

You keep attacking and going off on rabbit trails, but you still can’t list even one or two specific policy reasons for voting *FOR* someone.

I guess you just vote “against” a side based on personal dislike, or to try to rebel and not be the typical Christian.

Kinda uninspiring.

58. SGfan wrote:

# 53 & 54wackythinker,
    I’ll attempt to answer your questions in these posts.
    The 1st one on abortion and the legality. OK, so its legal you say. Why should that stop us from rallying and fighting against it? We can and should promote adoption and councelling, but our tax payers dollars should not go to advocating, promoting, or even financing abortion. Why is it that abortion agencies can get this funding, yet it is such a controversy in liberal thinking for churches to get funding in faith based innitiaves. Obama, at the Saddleback Civil Forum, basically said if the church recieves federal funding in faith based inniatives, then they should not be able to choose based on faith who they hire. He failed to realize that the success of such programs is rooted in the faith behind them and the faith of the people that make the program a success. I think abortion should be illegal. I don’t know that it would happen under a McCain administration or under a Palin administration, but I do believe that they would provide more funding for adoption programs and less funding for abortion (murder) programs than Obama would. After all, Obama would not want anyone to be punished with a child for a mistake.
    On Palin’s experience: She is the governor of a large state with a large budget. She has made executive decisions. The only executive experience Obama has was when he was hired by Bill Ayers ( terrorists) to distribute $50 million for a foundation they were both involved in that sought to radicalize Chicago students. I don’t think you really want to point to the lack of experience of Palin ( VP nominee on Republican ticket) when Obama ( P nominee on Democrat ticket) has less experience. I watched the interviews you cited, and was not terribly impressed (although editing has to be taken into account). In the first week of her being announced as McCain’s running mate, Palin took harder questions than Obama has by the main stream media in the entire election (of which he began his run almost two years ago after only 143 days in the Senate).
    Finally, where has McCain’s experience got us? The troop surge he proposed has put victory in sight in Iraq. Obama still does not aknowledge the success and wanted to declare defeat. McCain warned of the dangers in lending practices of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae in 2005. The dems shot it down. What got us in this economic situation you may ask? Several things but here are the biggies. $700 billion a year going to hostile countries for oil and energy purposes. The Community Reinvestment Act ( http://www.ffiec.gov/cra/ ) which encouraged lending to those that could not afford the loans, this is where Fannie and Freddie get into the mix. Finally, Mark to Market accounting played a major role as well and has to be the stupidest idea ever.
    I say all of this to say this. Obama is on the wrong side of not only issues of morality such as abortion and gay rights, but on economic, and foreign affairs issues as well. Who in their right mind thinks that in an economic downturn the solution is to tax those that actually create the jobs by nearly 50%? Who in their right mind would sit down and negotiate with tyranical dictators that want nothing less than the destruction of Israel, the United States, and Christianity? Obama says he does on these issues. McCain says no. I like McCain’s answer better.

59. Harry Peters wrote:

#29 Jake Well reasoned, well written post.

60. Angie M wrote:

#42 NonSGfan: What’s your source? I think you’ve misquoted and misattributed several things:

First, McCain is the candidate whose book is entitled Faith of My Fathers: A Family Memoir. Admittedly, I don’t have a copy of this, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t talk about standing with Muslims and enduring the onslaught of those political winds.

Possibly, you were referring to the quote below from Barack Obama’s book, Audacity of Hope:

Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans,
    for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security
    and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific assurances that their
    citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand
    with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.

Better luck next time…

61. NonSGfan wrote:

“Should the political winds shift in an ugly direction”….

I’d like a FURTHER explanation as to what that means. Does that mean he is AGAINST profiling and interrogating people who have suspicious behaviours?

What political winds have blown that makes him have to stand FOR them and AGAINST us?

62. Obeserver wrote:

Excellent posts Faith, it seems very few of us really realizes what is at stake. It may be very true that not much has been done in favor of the conservatives but look at who we have put in office in the past few years. Look at the canidates we have selected for Congress. Nothing will ever be done as long as there are not enough votes to swing in our favor. But you see when looking at the liberal point, it is a total different ballgame. I have never in my life understood how such a small number of people (liberal groups) can cause so much change and we conservatives stand back, keep our mouths shut, and let it happen. It is time the Christian came out of the closet and took on the liberals. Call it what it is, wrong is wrong and sin is sin! America is indeed at a crossroads and “your man” may look good for your wallet, but “your man” can do harm to this country that will never be reversed. Greed and Selfishness attributes to where we are now, It is our fault, now it is up to us to make the change. By the way, BO is only about 12% African-American, 37 % white-American, and 51% Arab. Don’t believe it, check into it.

63. Angie M wrote:

#61: This is why I provided a larger portion of the quote. He is clearly talking to American citizens who have experienced unjust discrimination in the wake of 9/11.

64. Pedantic wrote:

“They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly” What does that mean? Other than Native Americans, are we not a nation of “immigrants”? My grandfather on my Dad’s side immigrated from overseas and my mom’s side of the family has been here maybe 125 years - but I’m unaware of any “dark underbelly’ - Perhaps because we believe the concept of America being a “melting pot”, not somewhere where I can be a hyphenated-American.

65. wackythinker wrote:

Faith, you’ve just driven my point home. I see no one on the political landscape to be “FOR”. I guess I’ll have to make up my mind soon, if I plan to vote.

But frankly, even most of the arguments I read herein are negative — only telling me who to vote against — and both directions. I see no compelling reason to vote “FOR” anyone. How do I find the lesser of the two evils? I’m not sure I’ve seen one any greater or lesser than the other.

What am I missing that hasn’t already been said a thousand times? Don’t just vomit out the same rhetoric we’ve heard over and over again.

And I’m not just trying to be wacky. I’m as dead serious as you are. Don’t just criticize me; help me.

66. 1 old fan wrote:

I just read a cute story with a very important message. You may have seen it before.

A father wanted to read a magazine but was being bothered by his little girl, Shelby. She wanted to know what the United States looked like.

Finally, he tore a sheet out of his new magazine on which was printed the map of the country. Tearing it into small pieces, he gave it to Shelby, and said, ‘Go into the other room and see if you can put this together.

This will show you our whole country today.’

After a few minutes, Shelby returned and handed him the map, correctly fitted and taped together. The father was surprised and asked how she had finished so quickly. ‘Oh,’ she said, ‘on the other side of the paper is a picture of Jesus. When I got all of Jesus back where He
    belonged, then our country just came together.’

67. NonSGfan wrote:

I digress..

68. walks like a duck wrote:

Observer — “12% African-American, 37 % white-American, and 51% Arab”.

Just curious, where do those statistics come from? They’re interesting, but I’d be curious to know the source.

69. NonSGfan wrote:

“unjust discrimination”

The Koran teaches murder, and hatred to “Zionist”.

WE my friend, are a part of that “Zionist” regime.

Everybody who follows the Koran has a big fat question mark on the top of their head as to HOW they interpret those teaches.
    The old testament ALSO advocated the taking of life for life…BUT, it was abolished through the shed blood of Christ, and murder is commanded AGAINST in the ten commandments.

THEREFORE, Your “Unjust discrminiation” is simply interrogation of people that fit a “Religous Profile” of a person who could possibly follow the extremist mentality.

I am willing to pat down EVERY SINGLE MUSLIM IN THE COUNTRY if it is going to SAVE ONE INNOCENT LIFE.
    AS far as i’m concerned, I’d rather tick off a multitide, than to stand at the funeral of a few.

70. NonSGfan wrote:

just kidding about the “I digress” thing.

71. SGfan wrote:

#65 wackythinker,

Did you read post #58? It gives you a place to start. But, if you need more, might I suggest doing some research for yourself. Don’t wait for someone to do it for you. You will be more sure of your decision when you find the information and validate it for yourself. I can’t tell you who to vote for. I can tell you who I am supporting and why. I am supporting McCain, because I believe his tax policies will enable growth and a faster recovery from the economic crisis. I believe Obama’s policies would send us spiraling into a depression (you never raise taxes in a recession because it kills job growth and causes job loss). I am voting for McCain because I know that we have the domestic resources to be energy independent and build a bridge to alternative energy. Obama’s plans keep us dependent longer on foreign oil. I am voting for McCain because I feel that the U.S. President carries a respect that should not associate with tyranical dictators. Obama wishes to meet with them face to face and that in some way (whether intended or not) legitimizes them. Finally, I am voting for McCain because I believe in the free market and not socialism. Obama’s policies and some of the policies we have seen lately by Congress will steer us headlong into socialism if something is not done. You have to decide for yourself, but I think I have made my choice. Do I agree with McCain on everything, No. But I do agree with him on the things that are important, and that is ultimately what matters most.

72. Angie M wrote:

#69 NonSGFan: Did you et your information about the teachings of the Koran from the same source as the Obama quote? I don’t think profiling peple base on ethnicity is very Christ-like.

73. Todd wrote:

For a pre-Halloween scare Google “Obama Supports Public Depravity.” (This has been going on in Pelosi’s district and the cops have been told by mayor Newsom to NOT arrest anyone exercising the perverted “rights” Obama promotes that are regularly flaunted on public streets in front of little kids!) After recovering from the uncensored pics, Yahoo “God to Same-Sexers: Hurry Up” and “Dangerous Radicals of the Religious Right.” BTW, Obama etc. don’t want folks to know what really goes on at gay festivals in front of children because it could truthfully ignite and unite the Religious Right like nothing else - which is why not a single word was said about gay rights at any of the Presidential debates!! Todd
    (Obama, Biden, Pelosi, and Newsom did not approve of this message!)

74. Jim E. Davis wrote:

The Obama quote, in context or out of context, was still confusing and noncommittal - the Muslims read it one way and Christians the opposite. But that is a trademark of Obama’s smooth and carefully thought out logic on everything.

Take for example his answer on William Ayers during the debate. He names all the upstanding citizens (including Republicans) who served with him on the same committee as if that excused his association. If they were such fine people, then why didn’t he launch his career from one of THEIR homes instead of the highly questionable Ayers? It doesn’t take long to put it all into perspective along with his other choices of mentors to realize that he is a radical left wing extremist in cameoflage.

Combine that with a liberal congress and we will have another Jimmy Carter catastrophe. At least Bill Clinton was retrained by a Republican house and senate.

I trusted the common sense and wisdom of my Father and Mother who lived through the depression. I knew better than to fall for the socialist blathering of my liberal high school history teacher and pot-smoking professors at the state university. It’s sad that too many Americans don’t have a strong heritage to stand on and therefore will be suckered by a suave, silver tongued politician who has promised the moon (it really is cheese, folks).

It’s not over ’til it’s over. God may answer a lot of prayers and give the world a big surprise on election day. Then, on the other hand, He may give us what we deserve - the choice we made in the ballot box.

I love politics!

75. NonSGfan wrote:

Angie…wrong there, i’ve studied religons other than my in depth, including buddhism, and hinduism. The Koran TEACHES MURDER.

It’s not profiling based on race, it’s based on religous affiliation. There are many middle-eastern Christians.

76. NonSGfan wrote:

mine*

77. Obeserver wrote:

Jimmy Carters administration will be nothing compared to the harm that will be inflicted upon the conservative movement if BO is elected. I think interesting things are in the works as we post here. Things are just a little too quiet on the election trail. The smooth, calculated and deceptive words of BO should concern us all. Mr. Davis put it best ” We may just get what we all deserve” I pray not.

78. Jake wrote:

” We may just get what we all deserve.”

I agree. I’ve heard people say before that God will put the person of His choice in office, but I disagree. God doesn’t go into the ballet booth nor does He drop ballots into the ballot box. It was not God’s will for Israel to have a king, but when they bellyached that they wanted a king like their neighbors, God gave them their request — but they had to face the consequences. Likewise when the Israelites in the desert wanted meat instead of manna, scripture says He gave them their request, but sent leanness into their souls.

We don’t have a perfect candidate to choose from, but we had better check on their positions, and where applicable, compare them to what the Word of God says. It may not address every issue where the candidates are different, but it certainly addresses some.

79. WA wrote:

Like many (most?) born-again people, I could never support any candidate who espouses what Sen. Obama does. But, while I’m no world-class economist, I have a graduate degree in Econ from a good University. I also worked for the largest firm on Wall Street for years, in the glory days, before base human greed was allowed to take over and ruin many of the most venerable firms. So, if that gives me any credibility, allow me to write the following.

A great many economists would agree that to pay for just the programs that Sen. Obama has voiced in his campaign would likely cripple the US. Funding of them will run well into the trillions of dollars, and the media doesn’t seem too ready to examine this. Obama was born in Hawaii - arguably the most “liberal” of our 50 states. Hawaii passed a statewide free health care program seven months ago, structured along the same lines as Sen. Obama’s plan. It was announced today that it has been suspended, and in seven short months, has nearly bankrupted the state. Imagine what it would do on a national level. Well, we really don’t need to speculate; we only need to examine what socialized medicine has “accomplished” wherever it has been made law. Taxes have skyrocketed, and citizens of Scandinavia, the UK, Canada, etc., are bearing a huge tax burden to pay for their broken health care systems. Anecdotal stories abound of horrifying cases of the failures of those systems. And honestly, it shouldn’t be much of a surprise…governments are rarely successful in administering most programs. Sen. Obama says daily that average healthcare programs cost $12,000 per family; but that’s a very real exaggeration as well, as the economic models that he uses include other benefits. Sen. McCain promises a $5000 credit towards paying for private health care. Real economic models peg the average family’s annual costs at around $5800, and that’s far more realistic.

We’ve all heard Sen. Obama mention that under his administration, 95% of citizens who earn less than $250K will not have their income taxes raised. But, to pay for his programs, the money has to come from somewhere, so where will the source be? Small businesses. One thing that I worry about is this: Obama has yet to set his parameters as to exactly what constitutes a small business. It’s not inconceivable that a sgm quartet who carries a pianist, have a driver and one or two office personnel back home would pay far higher taxes than at present, for instance.

So, without even mentioning Obama’s support of third trimester abortions, his support of same-sex marriages, and a host of other moral issues that have ranked him as the most-liberal member of the US Senate, his possible election victory is extremely scary from the dry perspective of economics. I’m in my mid 50’s, and so far, Jimmy Carter’s has been by far the most futile presidency in my lifetime. He was (and still is) just inept; a micro manager. Probably a nice man and all, but just a poor executive. Obama - and many of his economic positions - would make Carter’s administration seem like child’s play.

80. Aaron Swain wrote:

Interesting video on Obama, comparing him with another well-known leader:

81. cdguy wrote:

Observer — The reason I asked about the source for your statistics regarding BO’s Arab heritage is twofold.

1. If that’s true, we probably do need to know that.

2. If it’s true, that would mean both his parents had Arab blood. It would be impossible to have over 50% Arab blood without both having some.

That’s why I’m curious. Also, it would be interesting to know HOW those percentage we calculated. Not being sceptical, just want to be sure of the facts.

82. WA wrote:

Another “interesting” video from YouTube.

83. Faith wrote:

At the request of Wacky —

Here are some specific reasons I’ve chosen to vote *FOR* a particular candidate:

1. One presidential candidate doesn’t apologize for American capitalism; he believes that it is not evil, but honorable to work hard and succeed. John McCain knows that hard work allows the US to help those who truly can’t help themselves both at home and overseas. He has proved that he believes that hard workers who reach any level of success deserve a reward, rather than punishment and disincentives. He has promised not to raise taxes on employers OR employees, regardless of earning level, because he knows even targeted tax increases will further hemorrhage the economy if he does. John McCain has the life experience to understand that overtaxed, over-regulated business owners will not only fail to hire additional workers, but will actually lay off current employees if the cost of business (including taxes) goes up significantly.

2. McCain is realistic enough to admit the truth even if it sounds tough; government bureaucracy is not capable enough or efficient enough (or financially able) to take on universal health care. He knows from studying the rest of the world’s health care systems, that residents of other countries come to the US — simply because our health care is not rationed or stifled. He understands that MORE competition not LESS (again, he respects the logic of capitalism) will allow citizens to get better health care for less money, but if the government takes it over, we all lose quality of life. The government will start making decisions about if an 85-year-old person deserves a surgery, when someone half that age is also waiting in line. Some people will be shoved aside, but others will be moved to the head of the line. McCain’s idea of giving a tax break to help pay for it and letting people take their health care with them across state lines is brilliant; it allows people to provide for their own needs, buy the plan they like best from ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY and make it work. He knows that the same rampant abuses and economic insanity in the housing industry — because of lack of real government oversight — will take over health care if the government takes it out of the private sector. He knows that Hawaii has just tried to offer health care, but has given up after only 7 months because it didn’t work.

3. When McCain says he reaches across the aisle, there’s plenty of proof — legislation with his name on it and a Democrat’s name on it as sponsors. He has a pattern of bi-partisan legislation, so when he says he will listen to people in both parties, he’s not lying. He’s always done it, even when it’s ticked people off. Actually, I’m not voting for him because he’s highly bi-partisan; I’m voting for him because when he says he is, there’s proof to back it up. I’m impressed that he doesn’t misrepresent his experience or inflate his resume.

4. John McCain has the maturity to understand that regardless of how America came to be in Iraq, leaving it in a weakened state will only hurt the Middle East, and endanger the US and the rest of the world. He also knows that terrorists have been so busy fighting in Iraq that they have not attacked the US since 2001. He doesn’t apologize for a strong America; he knows that we try harder than anyone else to stabilize the world.

5. John McCain’s policies about energy show that he understands that most people need gas to drive a car to get to work. He doesn’t live in an ivory tower and assume that we can afford (or deserve to be punished with) $5.00 or more for a gallon of gas. He doesn’t believe that being environmentally wise and using our own resources are at odds with each other; both can be done. He has a good opinion of Americans; he believes Americans will be more careful in tapping and transporting energy resources than most of the rest of the world would — but now we are depending on clueless nations (who do not share our concern for good stewardship of the environment) to find our energy for us, and take the chance of a spill between here and the other side of the world.

6. John McCain actively supports free speech, even at his own expense. He has never once sent someone out to shut down the speech of those who criticize him. He believes in discussing policy differences, not suppressing discussion because he’s too insecure to handle it. He is an open communicator; he allows people to question him, and he answers transparently. He’s not afraid of questions from the public in town hall meetings or from prominent liberals, media leaders or entertainment figures. He answers a question once, without shading it 2 or 3 times, because he knows what he believes, and seems to think there’s no reason to hide his first response. He doesn’t equivocate; he doesn’t say one thing to one group, and something different to another. He seems to take responsibility for what he says and does, and is willing to accept the consequences for his choices, both personal and professional.

(And for those keeping score, I didn’t mention social/moral issues at all.)

84. Derek wrote:

I like John McCain and will be voting for him but consider his “reaching across the aisle” a weakness at times. What he really needs to do is reach across the aisle with a boot and kick a little butt. Something this particular congress has been sitting on too long. If he would have done that early in this campaign, there wouldn’t be drag in the polls.

85. GC wrote:

The story gets even wilder. I just heard Rick Hendrix has been elected to the electoral college

86. CVH wrote:

I haven’t been following this particular thread that closely since it seems to be producing predictable (and highly repetitive) comments, but I’m just curious. 15 days out and, while anything is possible, it seems quite likely Barack Obama will be the next President of the United States. Given all the vitriol and caustic accusations that have surfaced here, is everyone prepared to do as scripture teaches? (Romans 13: 1-3),
    “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you.”

Some of you might want to leave yourselves a little wiggle room because if John McCain doesn’t win the election you’re going to find yourselves in a very tight, uncomfortable space.

87. WA wrote:

Interesting question, CVH. Only answering for myself, yes - I will pray for whoever is elected. And, I’ll obey them. But, like we read in the Old Testament, at times it pleases God to raise leaders “…from among the basest of mankind”. During the next days until someone is elected, we have a chance to try and get people to think through the ramifications of electing the most liberal Senator out of 100, who has zero track record to base his multiple promises on, and nowhere near the experience necessary to lead us in a world as deadly and dangerous as the one we live in. That’s all. But, should he be elected, I will pray for him and his administration, hope desperately that he isn’t the completely empty suit that he seems to be, and that he’ll learn that many of the policies that he’s run on are terrifying for America. My promise.

# 86 CVH… LoL;-))) Good One… but they will find SOME verse SOME where else in the Bible like the snake handlers do.

A Little Poly Handicapping here…

SOMETHING BAD will come out on BA… like exposing his funds have been funneled from Arab money, I mean who else could out fund raise the Clintons???…something he said caught on tape… or some OTHER association, but hey if Bill Ayers is not enough I do not know what is??? EVEN if nothing BAD happens…they are getting just a little too excited, I keep thinking some of their PLANNING MIGHT open some eyes too… Nancy, Harry & BA… Don’t that make you excited to maybe have those 3 Stooges running the USA???

I think there will be record turn out but not just from the Demo’s but high numbers of ppl from many small towns that I go to & Repub’s will be out in record number to vote AGAINST HIM, BA.

Most of the small towns I go to are using his campaign signs as targets for shooting pratice…and a lot of red circles with slashes through them.

There will be ppl in BIG Cities that walk in wanting to vote AGAINST Repub’s but when the curtain shut and it is a secret vote ( which is why the founding father’s made it that way) are going to go …I DO NOT THINK SO!!!

A friend of mine in South Ga said they still can’t elect a Black Sheriff down there, so you think they are going to pull the lever for BA???

McCain will win in a squeaker because of all the votes the Demo’s stole through the illegal registrations funded by WHOMEVER!!

I SWEAR I am disappointed that EITHER of these Clowns are THE BEST EITHER PARTY COULD PUT UP to RUN!!!

I am not saying what I just wrote is correct as far as how ppl should feel. But just as an observer of human behavior.

2 PET PEEVES, IrishLad thinks I have been holding back, I just gotta get THIS out cause I wonder how many ppl agree???

If I hear “MY FRIEND” from JM one more time I could I just want to cry… can he not do better than that in conversation???

The last one and President Clinton started and Fred Barnes on Fox News and even Lanny Davis now do it way to much and it is STARTING EVERY POINT w/ “LOOK” … Clinton is welcome to do it since he started it but come on everybody else find ya another verbal hook!!! PLEASE!!!

89. NonSGfan wrote:

Mccain-a clown. You’re pathetic. This is a man Donald Trump calls “Brilliant”

This is a man who is a true america hero, who was tortured further because he refused to go back home.

This is a man who WON his parties nomination

This is a man who WARNED THE WORLD 2 years ago about the coming enonomic crisis due to the STUPID Community reinvestment act’s “Amendment” or “addition” in 1995 (by Bill Clinton) that caused all of this.

This is a man who knows more foreign leaders by name than most of us know foreign countries.

This is a man who has fought against EVERY SINGLE secular media machine (other than fox news) and is STILL not far behind.

This is not a clown. Barak IS a clown.

You Clown.

90. SGfan wrote:

#86 CVH,

If Barrack Obama is elected as president, I will show him just as much respect as I do any president. That scripture does not mean that I can not disagree with his idea of what is right and wrong. In the context of scripture, the authorities being referenced there were in absolute control. The Roman empire had an absolute ruler. We have the privilege of electing our government. Romes people served the will of Rome while our leaders are supposed to serve the will of the people. If BO is elected, I feel our country will be in deep trouble. The decline we will face will be a case of reaping what we sew. I am praying for God’s direction in this election. I am praying that people will vote for a candidate that He will be able to use for the good of this country. I just don’t think BO is that candidate. Many people in this country have abandoned God and the teachings of Christianity and you see where that has gotten us.
    Wade, I hope your right that McCain will win it in a squeaker. I don’t agree with McCain on everything, but I do feel he is a far better option than Obama.

WoW…what a privilege to carry the CLOWN badge from NoNSGFan… Thank Ya!! Takes One ya know.

NoN… do you really think JM was THE BEST Candidate The Repub’s could have put up??

I TOTALLY respect JM. I THANK HIM for his War Service & Bravery. I am even glad he won from the Clown Group that was put up in the Primaries, although I wished Fred had been in sooner.

I even respect him for his Senate Service and how he has proven he will cross the isle for the good of the country… But it is REALLY sad the choices we have… and it does look like I will vote more AGAINST SOME ONE than FOR SOME ONE!!!

While the Community Reinvestment Act certainly contributed to the problem is was NOT the only stupid thing that created this perfect storm. My last real job was as a self employed mortgage broker for 13 years. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD DO ANYTHING ELSE!!! & can still do it but GOOD LUCK getting something approved.

Turning the mortgages from commodities to securities & the rate inversion on LONG TERM vs. Short Term rates, along with the sky rocketing LIBOR rate just HAMMERED it HOME!!

Yes JM McCain & even GW warned of the impending doom… but I have to say The GW has been the WORST utilizer of The BULLY PULPIT EVER in my memory.

Him not utilizing it makes me say he was asleep at the wheel!!!

Just One Clowns Opinion.

92. Jim E. Davis wrote:

I must say that I hope those that are voting for Obama are leaving themselves MORE than just a little wiggle room for the next four years if he wins.

Will they be so proud as Biden continues to say the dumbest things everywhere he goes? (of course, the media will have job security as they follow him with a scoop shovel maintaining damage control).

When Iran attacks Israel will you sit around your TV and brag about how cool, calm and collected he is as he says, “Uuh, look Mr. Ahmadinejad, that’s not nice. Please, what can we do to make you happy?” (Why, look! He’s not even sweating!)

Will you smile when his tax increases are choking your business dreams?

Are you going to be as excited when the people who run the Post Office are running your health care?

No need to go on…

We survived Carter who fooled us with his “Born Again” smoke screen.
    We survived Clinton with his sexy smooth talking ways.
    We survived Bush who wasted his time trying to make the libs happy.
    We will survive Obama if he can bumble his way through without bringing on Armageddon.

So, yeah, I got wiggle room.

Do you?

93. Alan wrote:

Excellent, Jim E. Most excellent. And, I need not even mention that there was a lot more that you could have added.

Jimmy Carter might have been a fine man in many ways, but he was hopeless as a President. Yet, the world wasn’t nearly as dangerous in those days. Unless, that is, you had been in the US Embassy in Tehran in November of 1979. Your next 444 days would have kept you from underestimating Iran, I’d dare say.

We survived Clinton because he was the luckiest President of the last century. A recession had ended five months before he took office, and he’s championed for the jobs “he” added, a great economy, and for leaving a large surplus. Even though that was forced on him by Newt Gingrich’s Congress of 1994. But sadly, when Bid Laden was almost handed to him on a silver platter, he was - shall we say - otherwise occupied. But we survived.

We might survive the current President, even though he has spent money like a lifel-long liberal, has turned his back on the illegal immigration issue, and made (or allowed) a pile of mistakes in the execution of a necessary pair of wars.

I’ve always wondered why the west - home of the only remaining superpower - is unmentioned in Biblical prophecy. Given what I see and hear from Obama, it makes me wonder if indeed we won’t survive a Presidency from such a very dangerous and naive man.

I have a world of wiggle room, CVH and Jim E. But, I still have hope that when push comes to shove, and the curtains close behind a majority of voters in thirteen days, a tested and true leader will be voted in. I don’t agree with everything Mr. McCain stands for, but since we need a real President right now, he’s light years closer to that than Obama is.

Finally, remember that two weeks out from the 2004 election, John Kerry had an 11-point lead. Imagine the horrors we would have faced as a nation had he been elected…there’s still hope. We need to be in fervent prayer - every Christian needs to be.

94. rr wrote:

I prayerfully hope that some Obama supporters will reassess their love for our country, and recognize the risk values involved in electing him before they mark their ballots.

I cast mine in early voting yesterday, and it was for McCain/Palin.

95. NonSGfan wrote:

Fred Thompson is an actor that is an inexperienced as Obama, you are probably from Tennessee, the land where Fred is GOD, because he’s from tennessee.

John Mccain was the ONLY option for the Republican party. MIke Huckabee was WAY to right to work with the left, and Mitt Romney…well…he’s too “mitt” like.

Barak will be the best President we’ve ever seen for the first 4 years…yes that includes R.R. Enough to get him elected, then the last 4 years, he will totally destroy this country..

THERE IS a reason why the west isnt mentioned in Biblical prophecy..

we wont be “The west” anymore.

96. CVH wrote:

RE: #92, Jim E. Davis - As always I appreciate your point of view but I disagree with your assessment of Carter’s spirituality as a “smoke screen”. While his presidency left much to be desired, I don’t believe anyone can legitimately call his personal faith into question. If you’ve read any of his subsequent works or talked with people who’ve had the opportunity of working with him through Habitat for Humanity or in promoting peace and justice issues around the world, it would be hard not to conclude that he actually has one of the strongest Christian witnesses of any President in recent years. I’m talking about living out his faith in demonstrable ways, not left or right politics.

Interestingly, you mention Obama potentially bringing us to the brink of Armageddon. Just the other day I was having a conversation with a friend about Palin and he was hypothesizing what she might do, if, McCain is elected, dies in office and she becomes CIC. Would her conservative, Pentecostal “end times” mindset cause her to believe she’s God’s instrument in bringing about the “end” if it ever came to deciding whether or not to push the button? I know that sounds like a scenario from an old Stanley Kubrick movie, but it makes me wonder, gosh darn it!

I was formulating potential reasons to vote for McCain right about the time he chose her for VP. Despite whatever qualifications the man may have, and Obama’s shortcomings, that did it for me. I may just write in Irishlad.

97. Alan wrote:

Sheesh, NonSGFan - evidently you’ve already taken the first sip of Kool Aid…? May I ask what you base this most incredible sentence on: “Barak will be the best President we’ve ever seen for the first 4 years…yes that includes R.R.” ? Is this wishful thinking, or have I simply missed even one accomplishment of his save for a tired stump speech filled with empty (and largely impossible) promises? That might be the single most amazing sentence I’ve read in a decade. My heart goes out to you. And, should you still be posting here a year from now, if the Lord hasn’t come, chances are that a number of us will be reminding you of what you wrote. I have little doubt but that there will be more than enough to take you to task for in less than a year of the Obama-nation, but let’s give it a year, okay?

As well, since I was the one who mentioned no reference of the west in Scriptural prophecy, your last paragraph is mystifying. Revelation speaks of the armies of the east, north, south, all meeting in a valley south of Megiddo in Israel, for the purpose of eradicating Israel from the planet. If we won’t be “the west” then - as Revelation simply speaks of armies from geographical locations, where will we be? Some suggest that we will have joined an organization like the U.N. by then, or even NATO; but geographically, both of them are still part of the “west” when regarding Israel.

98. rr wrote:

Some of you have a grossly distorted concept of what we Pentecostals are. None of us purpose to “bring about” the end times and destruction. That’s absurd that you would even think that.

Sarah Palin is just a fine Christian lady who happens to have worshipped in a Pentecostal environment. If anything, her understanding of Biblical prophecy would help her be more perceptive in dealing with enemies of our country.

God bless America!

99. NonSgfan wrote:

Alan, if you think for on minute that Barak is going to do anything without the help of every single brilliant democratic mind in the world, you’re wrong. He will do a GREAT JOB enonomically, globally, and in many other aspects for about 4 years. THEN the tide will turn, he will push ALL of his social agendas, and his anti-white, and anti-american policies. He’s not going to kill the thing his first years, he’s going to do fabulous. THEN everything is going to change.

What I mean by “we wont be ‘the west’”
    Is that we will no longer be a “Superpower” that will even be considered in the grand scheme of things. I dont think we’ll have very much impact at all, I think we will be dissolved to a state of nothingness…Barak would love it! open borders to ALL! No order…ANARCHY BABY!

100. Alan wrote:

Thanks for the clarifications, NonSGFan. I appreciate them much.

I wish I had your faith in the first term of an Obama administration. I really do. As arguably the least-prepared candidate for President in my lifetime, no doubt you’re correct, and his team of advisers and his Cabinet would be a Who’s Who…kinda like President W’s, if you think about it. Rumsfield, Powell, etc. And yet, look at recent history, and those men (and others) gave extremely lousy advice. All of the evidence one needs of how well Iraq is going at this point is to try in vain to hear anything about it on network news. We lost a good few years, and way too many lives, due to the ill advice of some of the “greatest minds” in their fields. I can’t forget that all the way along, it was McCain - often nearly alone - who was pushing for the very Surge that has changed everything; and he was fairly shut out of Pres. Bush’s circle of advisers.

Our current economic crisis honestly cannot be laid at the feet of any President, except perhaps Clinton, who was in office when certain deregulation that he approved led us to this stunning point. Possibly, the greatest blame can be laid at the House and Senate Banking Committees, and their lack of oversight. Again, this has taken place under a Democratic Congress…I can’t get past this when I hear Obama and his supporters talk about how he’s the answer to all things wrong with our economy. Not only is there zero track record with which to evaluate what Obama would actually do other than to talk eloquently, some of the people that he intends to surround himself with are the very advisers who Clinton listened to. And so, among other reasons, this is why I can’t be as sunny as you are about the first 4 years of an Obama administration. Just what he has proposed in campaign speeches will cost us $2 Trillion. And that alone would bankrupt us! Several of these planks in his platform are part of the social agenda that you mentioned as being introduced in a second term: socializing medicine, (a disaster in every country where it’s been enacted) his “reform” of Social Security, his tax plan - which can only be characterized as a redistribution of wealth. That 95% of people who won’t pay any more taxes than they presently do, is composed almost exclusively of those who don’t pay Income taxes anyway. All of these are promised first-term items that he’ll supposedly introduce immediately.

We’re in complete agreement about the US in prophecy. I feel that it might be because of this economic house of cards that we’ve built up, or possibly because of the direction America has chosen to go down, but it appears that we certainly won’t be much of a power, let alone a superpower by then. Sad, isn’t it? Thanks again for your answers.

101. my2centsworth wrote:

OK, I’m a conservative, Christian. I can’t ignore my convictions as a believer when I go into the ballot box. I’m against abortion, against gay marriage and I am very much someone that believes in the Bible. I’m not a racist, which somehow the Obama and left wing media has managed to subliminally convince white voters that if they don’t vote for Obama, they are. I’m amazed at the people who are undecided when it comes to these two candidates. They are as different on the issues and the direction each one represents as night and day.

I’m not, not voting for Obama because he’s black, I’m not voting for him because I can not trust his loyalty to this country given his questionable ties and past relationships.

Consider this FACT: If Obama were to apply for a job at the secret service / FBI, he would be denied and disqualified because of his questionable ties to terrorists and people like Jeremiah Wright who speak out publically against this country. Now, how can someone not be trusted to protect the president, yet somehow be trusted to be president????

Of all the issues debated, I’ve not heard one of the most important brought up that every American should be concerned with. That would be Loyalty, Trust and Honor.

Here’s another FACT: John McCain has spent his life surrounding himself with people who love and serve this country. Like him personally or not, you can’t deny his service and loyalty to America

Obama has a pattern of surrounding himself with people who HATE this country.

That alone should wake even the most asleep at the wheel, brainwashed, go against common sense just because I don’t like the side it came from democrat.

102. Jim E. Davis wrote:

CVH #96: You are right, I should have clarified what I meant by smokescreen. I don’t doubt President Carter’s faith and always thought he was sincere but dreadfully weak and misguided. The focus on his “born again” faith caused thousands of conservatives, including myself, to cross party lines in that election. We ignored his pro-choice liberal agenda much like many republicans today are ignoring Obama’s socialist past and present world view. Amazing how Carter is now trying to lean pro-life. Of course, when you write a book entitled, Our Endangered Values: America’s Moral Crisis, it may seem rather odd after upholding the extremities of the abortion issue all these years. This sounds like a book written by a conservative. I wonder…who will read it? The conservatives don’t trust him and the liberals are more concerned with an economic crisis than a moral one.

Personally, I will never forgive him for giving away the Panama Canal. With the rise of radical dictators in South America it may come back to haunt us if dangerous leaders like Hugo Chavez gain control. It very well could play a huge part in the scheme of all things concerning national security should a World War become reality.

If it is time for Armageddon, it will make no difference if Obama or Palin is in power. It will happen because God wills it to happen and neither of them will have any control over the situation. I happen to be a member of a church of the same denomination that Gov. Palin attended in her youth and I have never heard teaching that God needs our help to bring about the end of the world. Should we be worried about Obama’s associations and heroes of his youth? I hope not but it worries me when there are numerous reports of expected riots in the streets if he loses and Obama says nothing. The silence is deafening.

Amazing! Now on those two lines we agree…we just came to different conclusions. How does that happen? Only in America – God bless her.

103. NonSgfan wrote:

Alan, I think we’re in agreement on most everything. I’m just thinking in terms of eschatology, and thinking that the deception of barak will continue through a full term.

we’ll see, right?

my2cents…you’re right too. I would vote for many black men…just not Barak!

104. rr wrote:

105. SGfan wrote:

#95 NonSGfan,

Eventhough he is no longer in the race, Fred Thompson is much more than just an actor from TN. He was a U.S. Senator from 1994 to 2002 ( that is 6 years longer than Obama). Thompson served as chairman of the International Security Advisory Board at the United States Department of State, is a member of the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and is a Visiting Fellow with the American Enterprise Institute, specializing in national security and intelligence. That is just to name a few things. You see, even though he was an actor and is no longer a major player or candidate in this election, he is far more qualified than Barrack Obama for the position as President.

Now that Fred Thompson is not in the race, which is who I probably would have voted for, McCain is the next best option out of the two running. Obama is quite possibly the scariest and most unqualified person who has ever run for the position as President. The church in America needs to start praying for 3 things. They need to pray that the church gets out and votes, that God leads the church to make the right decision who to vote for, and they need to pray for divine intervention in this election. We in America have in many cases turned our backs on God. If we elect Obama as President, it will not be God’s punishment on America, just a matter of Him letting us reap what we have sewn. That is a very scary thought in this day and time.

106. rr wrote:

Don’t forget that if anything happens to Obama, Joe Biden would step in. Joe has had two brain aneurysms. If anything happens to Joe, then we get Nancy Pelosi. That’s enough to let me know how to vote!

107. Alan wrote:

Well said, SGFan. And here we are, all in agreement with SGFan and NonSGFan. LOL

Fred Thompson seems to be more remembered for his acting than for his time in the US Senate. And yes, as such, his credentials far surpass the experience of Sen. Obama. Come to think of it, the person who heads up the parking meter rent-a-cops in my town have more experience than does Obama. Maybe I should write him or her in…

All kidding aside, NonSGFan, we really do agree, and I’d dare say that we’ll agree on this prescient sentence from SGFan: “If we elect Obama as President, it will not be God’s punishment on America, just a matter of Him letting us reap what we have sewn.” Can it be much better said than that?

108. NonSgfan wrote:

he’s been on blah blah, and on blah blah, A bunch of commitees and groups that have no doubt added to the chaos of iraq and collapse of the economy. Fred IS MORE QUALIFIED than Barak, which is scary.

109. NonSgfan wrote:

I hope we get Obama..

I’ve always wanted to live in kenya.

110. CVH wrote:

Jim E. Davis (#102), solid post. This is the kind of constructive conversation that generates positive results. It would be nice if more of the exchanges on this blog were as well-tempered.

I’ve read Carter’s “Endangered Values” book and there are several sections that both sides could benefit from reading.

On Palin, people will discuss and debate dispensationalism and end-times theology, and I was being a little tongue in cheek in my comment on her, but I wouldn’t want some whackjob like Oral Roberts or Pat Robertson in that position. It comes down to the person’s perception of their place in history and while there are obvious benefits to having believers in places of authority there can be blind spots and downsides too. Trust me, I’m not thrilled about Joe Biden’s finger being on the button either. Maybe they’ll just give him a fake button or one of those Staples’ “that was easy” buttons to play with. And that’s assuming Cheney doesn’t have them all rewired directly to his house anyway.

Bottom line, you’re right. We look at the same thing and come to opposite conclusions. And we’re free to express them and act on them. Indeed, God bless America, my friend.

111. NonSgfan wrote:

CVH, it scares me how easily you call men of God “whackjobs”. Though they BOTH have had questionable actions and doctrines, If I had a guess, i’d say they’ve done more for the kingdom in a week than you have your entire life.

112. CVH wrote:

NonSgfan,

It seems as though a lot of things scare you. You might be better off on this website: www.nick.com

Have a nice life…or better yet, get one.

NoN… BIG Question HERE… You do not think Oral Roberts is a whack job??? Surely you can stipulate to that… and come on now… IT is not for YOU to go around saying who has done more for the cause of Christ vs. Some One else… that’s that Elitism peaking through… take your meds and calm down. Check some spellings in an entry or 2 and listen to a Payne’s song…maybe… WHO BUT GOD???

NoN…was that supposed to be Paynes’?? LoL;-)

115. nonSgfan wrote:

CVH, you’re a moron. Wade, I seen Oral Roberts lay hands on a boy with a tumor on his neck the size of a grape fruit and it disapeared. I just dont like to be that quick to call him a “whack job”.

116. not a grammarian wrote:

nonSGfan (#115)
    Would that be a “grapefruit” or a “grape fruit” ?

117. CVH wrote:

nonSgfan,

Thanks for your kind words. Do your parents know you’re using their computer?

So you don’t think Oral’s a whackjob…
    hmmm, let me check with my 900 foot Jesus….

…..yep, he is. Sorry.

CVH… don’t forget the Lord was gonna call him home if he did not raise some CRAZY amount of money… I just never thought that was a QUICK LEAP!!

But NoN not THINKING so, sure tells me PLENTY!!…and I tried to slow him down and he just kept running!!!

119. Jim E. Davis wrote:

There are two Oral Roberts. The humble boy from Ada Oklahoma who undoubtedly had an amazing healing ministry in the early days and the wealthy guy who built a hospital because…well, I don’t know why someone would build a hospital if you can lay hands on them and heal them. Such a mystery.

Back to the subject. I don’t have a problem with a minister going into politics. Who would argue that Martin Luther King had no business getting involved? I personally think it works best if a great leader listens and heeds the voice of the church. Which is why Barack makes me uncomfortable as president. His spiritual guidance has come from a true “whackjob”, Jeremiah Wright.

120. nonSGfan wrote:

Not a…THANK YOU so much for your help. I just cant believe I made such a deplorable mistake..where did my 5th grade teacher go wrong? :)

CVH, I think youuuuu are a whackjob.

121. CVH wrote:

Jim E. Davis - can’t argue with you on that. And look at the influence of leaders like William Wilberforce on the issue of slavery.

Here’s an interesting book some readers might want to consider: “Unchristian America: Living With Faith in A Nation That Was Never Under God” by Michael Babcock (Tyndale). Babcock is a professor at Liberty University and he contends that the country has been in a post-Christian trend since Jamestown; consequently America was never really Christians’ to lose. He also reprimands those individuals and organizations that have engaged in political action at the expense of Biblical direction and authority. It’s an interesting read, not just in the context of the current election cycle.

And nonSGfan - I’m so pleased you made the 5th grade. They must have been the happiest four years of your life.

122. NonSGfan wrote:

I actually got out in 3, but who’s counting?

123. 1 old fan wrote:

rr — You said that Nancy Pelosi would be next in line for the presidency, after Biden. Don’t forget, that’s only if new President Biden doesn’t set a new vice president appointed before he dies.

Here’s a thought, what happens if a president-elect dies between the election and the inaugeration? I don’t think there’s anything currently in the constitution or current law that speaks to such a possibility. After Kennedy was assassinated, the current list was made, but it doesn’t say if we’d have to have another election, or if the vice president-elect would be sworn in on January 20th.

Could be something Congress might need to ponder. They don’t seem to be doing much else these days, other than fighting and trying to get re-elected.

124. CVH wrote:

1 old fan - I think the 27th amendment specifies that in a case such as that, Harry Peters is to be elected President by unanimous consent of Congress. Biden (or Palin) would be out as VP and in a reaching-across-the-aisle gesture, Irishlad would be appointed VP. Now that’s a ticket I could get behind…so to speak.

125. Faith wrote:

Are you out there, Wacky Thinker?

Maybe you’ve been on vacation in the Caribbean for the past 2 weeks, but –

You asked for help.
    You needed reasons to vote *FOR* a candidate.
    Did you read #83?

Your turn.

126. wackythinker wrote:

Faith, no, unfortunately, I didn’t take a vacation to the Caribbean, but I wish I could have. I love the island. (Yes, there’s really only one island. They just change the sign daily, so you think your ship has stopped at a different port) :-)

Yes, I read your encyclopedic entry #83. I just chose, however, to stop arguing. I knew it wasn’t getting us anywhere. You weren’t convincing me, nor I you. And let’s face it, that’s the result of most political arguing. You’re not going to convince me with your facts.

I felt my efforts were of better use elsewhere. But thanks for asking.