Typealyzer

Wanna get to know your local neighborhood blogger better? The site Typealyzer purports to analyze a blog and determine its author’s type on the Myers-Briggs scale. I’ve never taken a Myers-Briggs test before, so I don’t know how accurate the test is for me. But those who have suggest Typealyzer’s accuracy is “scary.” I’ve always thought of Myers-Briggs as a kind of super-sophisticated, personalized horoscope … in other words, observations about  humanity balanced in that narrow space between generality and specificity so that it feels like it’s nailed you personally, but when you look closer it describes half the people you know. Still, Typealyzer is good for several good minutes of work avoidance. Anyway, here’s the verdict on this site:

The meaning-seeking and unconventional type. They are especially attuned to making sure their beliefs and actions are congruent. They often develop a passion for the arts or unusal forms of self-expression.

They enjoy work that are aligned to their deeply feelt values and tend to strongly dislike the more practical and mundande forms of tasks. They can enjoy working alone for long periods of time and are happiest when they can immerse themselves in personally meaningful projects.

There you go. I also plugged in a few other sg bloggers. Here’s David Bruce Murray at Musicscribe:

Really, though, you can’t appreciate this analysis fully without seeing the avatar the site generates  to illustrate this particular type. Heheh.

Daniel Mount at southerngospelblog:

The logical and analytical type. They are especialy attuned to difficult creative and intellectual challenges and always look for something more complex to dig into. They are great at finding subtle connections between things and imagine far-reaching implications.

They enjoy working with complex things using a lot of concepts and imaginative models of reality. Since they are not very good at seeing and understanding the needs of other people, they might come across as arrogant, impatient and insensitive to people that need some time to understand what they are talking about.

And Kyle over at southerngospelview:

The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment are masters of responding to challenges that arise spontaneously. They generelly prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts.

The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters.

Putting what I’ve read together with what little I know of these guys, this isn’t too bad for the interweb. Honestly, though, what’s up with all the typos?

Comments

1. Irishlad wrote:

Like to see you analizing CVH, Wade, Harry Peters&myself against Dr Joe and his ilk. It would make for some good reading.

2. Grigs wrote:

Here’s the analysis of my MySpace blog:

The enjoy work that makes them able to help other people in a concrete and visible way. They tend to avoid conflicts and rarely initiate confrontation - qualities that can make it hard for them in management positions. ”

The first line of the second paragraph is the only part that’s totally accurate.

3. Alan wrote:

On a whim I entered my website’s URL into this deal, and the analysis was sort of accurate, but not exactly scary. :-) And then I tried to input my FaceBook URL, and the thing said that the recognized language was Thai. So much for this brilliant tool!

4. Angie M wrote:

Wow. #2 Grigs, I got the same thing as you–ESFP. But I *have* taken an MBT, and I always score INTJ. So this thing got every single thing totally and completely wrong. :)

5. David Bruce Murray wrote:

Wow…I don’t think that could possibly be any more wrong.

6. Kyle wrote:

I DID take my brother’s Mustang drag racing once….does that count?

I think I ran a 13 second quarter mile, but I can’t remember exactly. I know I won.

7. wackythinker wrote:

I’ve taken the Myers-Briggs test before, and after reading my assessment, and those of my co-workers at the time, my conclusion was pretty much the same as Doug’s assumption: it feels like it’s nailed you personally, but when you look closer it describes half the people you know.

Doug, you didn’t weigh in on your thoughts of your results. Others have commented on what the thing got right and/or wrong. What say ye?

I personally think Doug would like the findings, as they are full of mumbo-jumbo nobody wants to take time to analys, so we don’t really know whether we totally agree or not. :-)

8. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

Like Doug said, any given sentence could describe about half the people you know.

And about half the things it said about my blog are right.

So do the math. :twisted:

9. judi wrote:

Well, I’m not an SG blogger but I put my three blogs into this and I have to concur with the folks who have found their analyses about 50% or less right. I have taken Myers-Briggs twice, and once I came out an INFP and the other time an ISFP. Once on a different introversion-extroversion scale I scored so low on the introverted side that the person administering it was thinking about checking for my pulse! So, either Myers-Briggs is very faulty (it does depend on self-reported attitudes, after all) or the guy who set up Typeayizer has gotten only part of it right.

Or maybe there’s a third way: blogging brings out the extroverted side of some of us introverts.

My two personal blogs were judged ESFP–the performers. “The entertaining and friendly type. They are especially attuned to pleasure and beauty and like to fill their surroundings with soft fabrics, bright colors and sweet smells. They live in the present moment and don´t like to plan ahead - they are always in risk of exhausting themselves.” Oh yeah. Blogging must have uncovered my hidden, flamboyant side. (See my comments on introversion, above). I do like soft fabrics (I make quilts and I knit a lot) and sweet smells, but that is about all that’s right in that. (As I noted above, once on Myers-Briggs I came up Sensing (S) and once Intuitive (N) in this spot. A split personality, sort of.)

The second paragraph, “They enjoy work that makes them able to help other people in a concrete and visible way. They tend to avoid conflicts and rarely initiate confrontation - qualities that can make it hard for them in management positions.” is spot on and agrees with my M-B score.

Then, I put in the blog I write for my local church. Suddenly I have gone from passively avoiding conflicts and decisions to being a compulsive, can’t-sit-still doer. I am now an ETSP: “The active and play-ful type. They are especially attuned to people and things around them and often full of energy, talking, joking and engaging in physical out-door activities.

The Doers are happiest with action-filled work which craves their full attention and focus. They might be very impulsive and more keen on starting something new than following it through. They might have a problem with sitting still or remaining inactive for any period of time. “Like David Bruce Murray, who also got this designation, I think it’s almost the opposite of ME. The P (for perceptive, not judging) is the only part of the scale that’s right.

Thanks, Avery, for an interesting diversion into the field of what I have often heard you call psychobabble. I still think Myers-Briggs is a useful tool but I think Typealizer can use some refinement. Either that, or the persona you see on my blog is Not The Real Me (shocking news today.)

10. Daniel J. Mount wrote:

OK, I plugged in a couple different sites I maintain, and I got pegged as ISTP.

I also got pegged as INTP.

I also got pegged as ESTP.

I also got pegged as ISTJ.

I also get pegged as ESTP.

I also get pegged as ISTJ.

Not very confidence-building, is it?

11. LisaLou wrote:

I plugged in just about everybody’s blog URL that I know and follow and they all came back the very same. Even tried different browsers, still the same. AND like you said “What is up with all the typos?”

12. David Bruce Murray wrote:

Judi writ, “blogging brings out the extroverted side of some of us introverts. ”

You may be on to something.

In my case, it may be because I occasionally blog about unrelated topics that this site believes I’m the sort that starts projects, but never finishes them. Also, there’s a couple of guys other than me who sometimes post to my blog, which might explain the schizo perception.

13. Ken wrote:

Why not call Miss Cleo?Could get about the same results.Does any one remember her?

14. Alan wrote:

Okay, since there’s seemingly nothing going on of substance for Doug to write about, and in the interest of fairness, here is what this Typealizer deal said concerning my blog:

The responsible and hardworking type. They are especially attuned to the details of life and are careful about getting the facts right. Conservative by nature they are often reluctant to take any risks whatsoever.

The Duty Fulfillers are happy to be let alone and to be able to work int heir own pace. They know what they have to do and how to do it.

Paragraph one is fairly accurate, except in the last clause about risk-taking. I’d dispute that to some great degree,

As for paragraph two, they hit it pretty accurately too. Find me a traveling soloist who doesn’t mind being alone, cause I have yet to meet one. LOL I was away from home for 271 days last year, so you do tend to need to be happy in your own company. You’re more often than not on the outside looking in on the lives of those around you.

Maybe their read on my blog was more accurate than some of the others here. Obviously I can’t know that. But still, I’m glad I didn’t have to pay for the thing!

15. Donna wrote:

Very interesting. This is what it said about Gerald Wolfe!

“The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment are masters of responding to challenges that arise spontaneously. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts.

They enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters.”

16. Kinda Ironic wrote:

Hey . . . Isn’t our illustrious blogger a faculty member at this institution?

“Ho, ho, nope! FGCU to limit holiday decor - ‘Political correctness’ cited as reason”

17. Videoguy wrote: