From the dept. of “This happens to me all the time”

STUDENT (on cell phone leaving a building as I’m entering): “And I could feel my anger rising …”

ME (to myself): “Your anchor holds … and grips the solid …. ROCK!” … Be very sure … be verrrrryyyyyyyy sure …. Ok maybe I sang it out loud just a little.

Add it to the list.

Comments

1. David Bruce Murray wrote:

Every time I see a guy named Neil at my church, I burst into “Kneel…at the cross.”

2. Janice Kieft wrote:

That happens to me all the time! An expression, a phrase in a sermon (if I had known he was going to say that, I could have planned all the music around it). It really gets bad when my husband and I respond to something with the same song.

3. cdguy wrote:

I must admit, I do this all the time, too. My mother has done it as long as I can remember, and now my adult daughter does it, too.

Yikes! We’re doomed to a life of perpetual gospel music!

4. rngfreckles wrote:

Ha! And I thought I was the only one that did that…

5. Janet wrote:

Ever wake up in the morning with a song in your head & no idea how it got there? Then, you turn on the radio & there it is? Freaky - it happens to me a lot. Does that qualify for “God gave the song?” (And now that song is in my head…:P)

Btw, DBM, you are seriously demented - I love it!

6. Carlos wrote:

Sometimes during a sermon I write down on the bulletin how many song titles I can come up with from words or phrases during the sermon.
    What I find really amazing is how a song I haven’t heard or sung in years can pop up.

7. RF wrote:

DBM, I thought I was the only one. I too have a friend named Neil and I have done that often just to aggravate him. One year during an Easter program rehearsal, I broke into song as he was standing by the corss, which embarrassed Neil and made the starchy Church Ladies frown.

When ever I leave a gathering of ppl I sing CALL ME GONE!!

Carlos…thanks for the clue about what to do when I am LISTENING to the SERMON… I have been biting my nails and texting!!! lol

I play in the church band and we often get bored in the choir room and need something to pass the time since they are not smart enough to put us a speaker in there. Since we need a cue when to go back out… the minister CRIES….EVERY SUNDAY at the end of his sermon…so we say when we hear the sobbing it is time to get them to the alter.

One Sunday when we had a Missionary come to speak to rally us for The Lottie Moon Mission Offering sponsored by the Southern Baptist we missed the alter call all together because he did not cry…boy the Music Minister ( used to be choir director ) was upset he had to Church of Christ it through 2 verses of, There’s Room at the Cross for You.

What are some other things ppl do during church besides SLEEP??? Getting through especially the last 15 minutes of a sermon which in this church is usually the same. Shame Bullets & Guilt Bombs to manipulate you to attend all the weekly church activities or you are just not the kinda Christian God wants you to be. Especially the SMALL GROUP ACTIVITIES ( Used to be called Sunday School )

9. Janet wrote:

Well, Wade, you COULD read your Bible, pray, meditate…or, do like the rest of us & gossip! LOL
    When we had 2 services, our SS class was during 1st service (never made it through the whole class - missed the beginning & the end). There were several times we missed the signal & had to run down the hall back to the sanctuary for the invitation (hard to sing when you’re out of breath!)
    When we had 3 services, (absolute torture, btw!), by the third service, we could pretty much quote the whole sermon verbatim. Even the prayers were the same. Yet, we still managed to miss signals, anyway. Ah, those were the days…

Gawd,

Janet I hate 3 services. Worst is when the music is a little different because the older folks and the golfers come to the early service and then the shows would get a little more wide open as we went along.

I always felt sorry for the minister having to do 3 sets in less then 4 hours.

Is the most thankless job in church, running the sound???

Southern Baptist Churches are the worst. But 2 services at an Church of God could be kinda fun. Especially in the day when The Choir Director could call anything in the RED BOOK and anything else in the 3 ring binder full of tunes I KNOW had copy right clearance on the 150 copies burned on the Mita Copier in the Preachers Study!!! lol…where much of that gossiping goes on,..lol… especially if all the PRAISE SINGERS & Band Members Congregate THERE TO PRAY before the service!!! lollol

Sometimes more than gossiping goes on back in that room!!! lollolloll