Welcome to the weekend

I’m back, so let’s get started on the miscellaneous stuff we’ve missed in my absence.

• Via Adam Edwards, there’s another clip out of the Perrys singing another song from their new album live.
  • Via Musicscribe, there will, evidently, be a sg quilt at NQC.
  • For those of you who enjoy southern gospel funerals, Burke has a link to video of Eva Mae LeFevre’s memorial.
  • James D. Walbert, grandson of James D. Vaughan, and an accomplished pianist and teacher in his own right, died earlier this month (h/t, SS).
  • I thought I saw a link to story on a blog somewhere about Billboard making some change to its charting system that related to sg, but I can’t seem to find it now. If anyone has a clue what I’m talking about, chime in below.

What else should we be talking about?

Comments

1. judi wrote:

A quilt for SG! Wow! I looked at the link to the slide show. It looks like album covers or posters for groups have been photo transferred to fabric, a technique often used for family reunion quilts or anniversary quilts. Then the images have been framed with narrow bands of various fabrics. Currently they are being arranged on a flannel wall. The final product might wind up looking a bit dense, or cluttered–that is, not as pleasing to the eye as a traditional “quilt” but nevertheless a documentary in cloth of SG groups through the years. If you go to NQC (and I know you will) you’ll have to take a picture of it with your Blackberry for me.

By STEVE KARNOWSKI, Associated Press Writer Steve Karnowski, Associated Press Writer – 39 mins ago

MINNEAPOLIS – A replay of the nation’s only file-sharing case to go to trial has ended with the same result — a Minnesota woman was found to have violated music copyrights and must pay huge damages to the recording industry.

A federal jury ruled Thursday that Jammie Thomas-Rasset willfully violated the copyrights on 24 songs, and awarded recording companies $1.92 million, or $80,000 per song.

Thomas-Rasset’s second trial actually turned out worse for her. When a different federal jury heard her case in 2007, it hit Thomas-Rasset with a $222,000 judgment.

The new trial was ordered after the judge in the case decided he had erred in giving jury instructions.

Thomas-Rasset sat glumly with her chin in hand as she heard the jury’s finding of willful infringement, which increased the potential penalty. She raised her eyebrows in surprise when the jury’s penalty of $80,000 per song was read.

Outside the courtroom, she called the $1.92 million figure “kind of ridiculous” but expressed resignation over the decision.

“There’s no way they’re ever going to get that,” said Thomas-Rasset, a 32-year-old mother of four from the central Minnesota city of Brainerd. “I’m a mom, limited means, so I’m not going to worry about it now.”

Her attorney, Kiwi Camara, said he was surprised by the size of the judgment. He said it suggested that jurors didn’t believe Thomas-Rasset’s denials of illegal file-sharing, and that they were angry with her.

Camara said he and his client hadn’t decided whether to appeal or pursue the Recording Industry Association of America’s settlement overtures.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the RIAA, said the industry remains willing to settle. She refused to name a figure, but acknowledged Thomas-Rasset had been given the chance to settle for $3,000 to $5,000 earlier in the case.

“Since Day One we have been willing to settle this case and we remain willing to do so,” Duckworth said.

In closing arguments earlier Thursday, attorneys for both sides disputed what the evidence showed.

An attorney for the recording industry, Tim Reynolds, said the “greater weight of the evidence” showed that Thomas-Rasset was responsible for the illegal file-sharing that took place on her computer. He urged jurors to hold her accountable to deter others from a practice he said has significantly harmed the people who bring music to everyone.

Defense attorney Joe Sibley said the music companies failed to prove allegations that Thomas-Rasset gave away songs by Gloria Estefan, Sheryl Crow, Green Day, Journey and others.

“Only Jammie Thomas’s computer was linked to illegal file-sharing on Kazaa,” Sibley said. “They couldn’t put a face behind the computer.”

Sibley urged jurors not to ruin Thomas-Rasset’s life with a debt she could never pay. Under federal law, the jury could have awarded up to $150,000 per song.

U.S. District Judge Michael Davis, who heard the first lawsuit in 2007, ordered up a new trial after deciding he had erred in instructions to the jurors. The first time, he said the companies didn’t have to prove anyone downloaded the copyrighted songs she allegedly made available. Davis later concluded the law requires that actual distribution be shown.

His jury instructions this time framed the issues somewhat differently. He didn’t explicitly define distribution but said the acts of downloading copyrighted sound recordings or distributing them to other users on peer-to-peer networks like Kazaa, without a license from the owners, are copyright violations.

This case was the only one of more than 30,000 similar lawsuits to make it all the way to trial. The vast majority of people targeted by the music industry had settled for about $3,500 each. The recording industry has said it stopped filing such lawsuits last August and is instead now working with Internet service providers to fight the worst offenders.

In testimony this week, Thomas-Rasset denied she shared any songs. On Wednesday, the self-described “huge music fan” raised the possibility for the first time in the long-running case that her children or ex-husband might have done it. The defense did not provide any evidence, though, that any of them had shared the files.

The recording companies accused Thomas-Rasset of offering 1,700 songs on Kazaa as of February 2005, before the company became a legal music subscription service following a settlement with entertainment companies. For simplicity’s sake the music industry tried to prove only 24 infringements.

Reynolds argued Thursday that the evidence clearly pointed to Thomas-Rasset as the person who made the songs available on Kazaa under the screen name “tereastarr.” It’s the same nickname she acknowledged having used for years for her e-mail and several other computer accounts, including her MySpace page.

Reynolds said the copyright security company MediaSentry traced the files offered by “tereastarr” on Kazaa to Thomas-Rasset’s Internet Protocol address — the online equivalent of a street address — and to her modem.

He said MediaSentry downloaded a sample of them from the shared directory on her computer. That’s an important point, given Davis’ new instructions to jurors.

Although the plaintiffs weren’t able to prove that anyone but MediaSentry downloaded songs off her computer because Kazaa kept no such records, Reynolds told the jury it’s only logical that many users had downloaded songs offered through her computer because that’s what Kazaa was there for.

Sibley argued it would have made no sense for Thomas-Rasset to use the name “tereastarr” to do anything illegal, given that she had used it widely for several years.

He also portrayed the defendant as one of the few people brave enough to stand up to the recording industry, and he warned jurors that they could also find themselves accused on the basis of weak evidence if their computers are ever linked to illegal file-sharing.

“They are going to come at you like they came at ‘tereastarr,’” he said.

Steve Marks, executive vice president and general counsel of the Recording Industry Association of America, estimated earlier this week that only a few hundred of the lawsuits remain unresolved and that fewer than 10 defendants were actively fighting them.

The companies that sued Thomas-Rasset are subsidiaries of all four major recording companies, Warner Music Group Corp., Vivendi SA’s Universal Music Group, EMI Group PLC and Sony Corp.’s Sony Music Entertainment.

The recording industry has blamed online piracy for declines in music sales, although other factors include the rise of legal music sales online, which emphasize buying individual tracks rather than full albums.

3. Tim wrote:

June 8th, 2009 www.gospelmusic.org

Billboard’s Hot Christian Songs Chart Now Audience-Driven
    Billboard and Nielsen BDS Provide Industrys First Measurement of Listener Reach

Effective this week, Billboard’s pan-genre Hot Christian Songs chart transitions to gross audience impressions from plays-based rankings and expands in panel size (from 77 to 93 stations) and depth (from 30 to 50 positions).

At the forefront of the changes are the enhancement of audience totals accumulated by Nielsen BDS to include Arbitron ratings data for monitored non-commercial Christian music stations and the addition of multiple-network stations to the panel. Previously, non-commercial stations on Hot Christian Songs were given a baseline audience number regardless of their actual Arbitron rating and full-time networks were represented by each companys largest market affiliate station. Our remaining spin-based Christian charts will continue to include solely one network affiliate.

The new methodology provides the most accurate and comprehensive snapshot of weekly audience reach for U.S. Christian radio stations in all genres. Many of the heaviest users of our Christian radio charts have long expressed a desire for a comprehensive weekly look at the genres audience impact, and the new chart accomplishes that goal with unprecedented accuracy, and the industrys most respected and trusted airplay data from Nielsen BDS, says Billboard’s senior chart manager/director of Nashville charts and operations, Wade Jessen. Christian radio is also significantly and uniquely served by network-delivered programming across all of its formats, and the audience-based rankings provide invaluable trending and audience penetration data that enables record label marketing, promotion and publicity departments to more strategically deploy resources, Jessen says.

As with other audience-based Billboard charts, Nielsen BDS cross-references exact times of airplay with Arbitron-provided listener data for each station, including non-commercial licensees.

Also of note, Billboards print publication expands its Christian and Gospel coverage with a dedicated page of charts. Running alongside Hot Christian Songs will be Top Christian Albums, Christian AC Songs and Christian CHR songs (AC and CHR, bi-weekly rotation). The latter two charts were an integral part of Radio & Records chart menu and will now become weekly fixtures in Billboard. Making up the Gospel content will be Gospel Songs and Top Gospel Albums.

4. Diana wrote:

Judi (#1), you’ve got us figured out!! The quilty will be very “dense” but it’s also going to be big enough to use for the backdrop for our booth - which is #1004. We expect the quilt to be about 7 feet tall by 9 feet wide.

5. scope wrote:

#1 Judi, Wow, does everything have to be criticized? “Might wind up looking a bit dense, or cluttered - that is, not as pleasing to the eye as a traditional quilt . . . ” Can they at least finish it before you trash it? I don’t see you offering to help them. Come on, people. Can’t we be supportive of each other, and not always tearing each other down?

6. GM wrote:

I really enjoyed the Perrys video clip….wow…they know how to pick the songs….or maybe I should say “God sure gives the Perrys some great songs”….Joseph is better than ever and when Troy comes in at the end it gave me goosebumps.

yeah Judi… do you have to be so critical of the nice ppl making a quilt??? any quilt is good as long as it is soft!!! What kinda problem do you have with them… I wonder if there will be a YOUR AD COULD BE HERE square???lol

8. judi wrote:

#4 Diana–Your project is really ambitious and I’m looking forward to seeing a photo of the final effect; I’ve asked Avery to take one for me since I won’t be able to go to NQC. I admire all of the thought and creativity that is going into your border fabric selections and I will check back to see how you assemble and embellish it. Years ago I started a reunion quilt for my husband’s family–it has something like 81 10-inch blocks (78 of them have a family member’s name plus ’30s fabrics in a star pattern) and will be larger than king size if I ever finish it; so it also will be a ‘backdrop’ quilt–but for reunions, possibly even after I’m no longer attending them.
    #5–Guess I get my critical gene from my acquaintance with Avery. :) Seriously, I am interested in anything called a quilt but I have my preferences, as do most people. Expressing an opinion, among quilters, usually is not perceived as “tearing down” as Diana’s response to my comment indicates.
    #7–Wade–I really don’t have a problem with them but I am also not mocking them. Quilts with these kinds of images can make great commemorative pieces and this one will be treasured, I’m sure. I just don’t see it being juried into the OTHER NQC–National Quilting Convention–that meets in Paducah each April. But I could be wrong about that, if there is a category that it would fit into.

9. Diana wrote:

Y’all, don’t come down on Judi. She just sounds like an expert quilter and isn’t being critical like you seem to think. My sister, Donna, is putting the quilt together and she talks about it the same way! We sure haven’t taken offense - she’s stating the truth.

10. Donna wrote:

I don’t think Judi was being critical at all. She is correct about the denseness! And, thank you Judi for the compliment about the border selections. I’ve been quilting about 10 years now, and I think I’m pretty good at selecting just the right one for each block. I made a really large, 2-sided memory quilt for a family a few years ago, and I found a “secret” for tying all the blocks together. The “secret” will give the eyes somewhere to “rest” among all the colors/wild designs. If “Avery” doesn’t get you a picture, don’t worry. I am SURE that Diana will post a picture as soon as the finished product is “revealed.”

11. JulieBelle wrote:

Seems The Perrys have the corner market on choosing songs with the most awesome lyrics and songs that totally fit their “sound”. No one else seems to be doing this quite as well in the industry.

Kudos to the group for a great selection and performance.

judi… can you say backing up a little??? Some ppl just can’t stand up to being called on it huh???

judi is backing up so much I can hear THAT BEEPING sound!!

14. Irishlad wrote:

Let’s keep the sg libido thang going,a little bit of Freud is a welcome distraction from the predictable.

15. pk wrote:

You know Wade, just those two posts alone make me realize you can’t let things go…if you knew anything about the quilting world you would have understood what she said was not criticism but just quilt talk.

You need to be the one to man up and apologize for making yourself look silly.

Hey pk…lighten up Francis!!

17. JulieBelle wrote:

Irishlad…since you’d like to get back to the libido thing…let’s see….any of you eligible bachelors out there ever have the guts to ask one of the gals in SG (that is/was single at the time, of course) out? Would you now? Why or why not?

18. Yeah... wrote:

Another great song from The Perrys. Joseph sings his part with admirable restraint when needed, and can just flat sing. The kid’s likely going to go down as one of the great lead singers one day, I believe. Tracy is as solid as ever on bass, and you just have to love the cut of his voice. Watching and listening to that clip, they made the right choice with Troy. The man blends masterfully, but has the chops and range to really handle the part. They’re singing as well as they ever have now, and those who have commented that they seem to be pitched some of the best songs are so correct. Just a great song and performance of it.

19. Justin Noutsider wrote:

Libido in SGM…and in reference to post #17…Miss JulieBelle, I would, in a freakin’ New York second, ask Sonya Isaacs out on a date, without any hesitation or reservation, if I thought I stood a snowball’s chance in hades that she would say yes. I’d probably even ask her to marry me halfway thru the first date…that girl is the epitome of SGM hotness! AMEN.

JN

20. onemadeupmind wrote:

WOW…the spirit moved, in the same way, on the same song, in a DIFFERENT church. Almost identical.

Planned spontaneity at it’s best.

Nothing against the Perry’s, but let’s call it what it is….great, spiritual, entertainment.

Daywind has released the second set of CD’s from the Skylite vault. They should be out tomorrow. Here is the list:

BLACKWOOD BROS/GIVE THE WORLD A SMILE SUNDAY MEETIN TIME

MASTERS V / CLASSICS OF YESTERYEAR & O WHAT A SAVIOR CD

OAK RIDGE QUARTET / RIVER OF LIFE & SING FOR YOU

SPEER FAMILY / FAMILY FAVORITES & KEEP A HAPPY HEART

STATESMEN / COMMON MAN & STATESMEN ENCORES

JD SUMNER STAMPS/COLORFUL STAMPS QT/SIGNS OF A GOOD LIFE

22. Irishlad wrote:

JulieBelle,i’m single you single?Wanna go out?Only prob is i don’t exactly live round the corner.lol.

23. cdguy wrote:

q-man — I’ve picked up those new releases, and they’re all GREAT classic recordings. Any s/g purist would enjoy them. And let’s face it, we have a few s/g purists who read/post on this site.

24. Brandon Coomer wrote:

RE: #20 (onemadeupmind),

Thanks for posting a link to my video! Everybody, go watch them all (Also have a full Gold City concert! Yes, I’m shamelessly plugging my sites. http://coomercove.worpress.com)

Anyway, about your comment of “Planned spontaneity at it’s best.” Are you saying the people that rushed to the altar with tears streaming down their face were plants? Did they pump some kind of gas into the air to make me and everyone else feel what we felt that night? Do the Perrys have a magic button that Tracy can press whenever he wants God to move? Please….

If you (or anyone else questioning the authenticity of the Spirit felt during the song) don’t like the song, don’t listen to it or watch the videos. If God is using this song to touch people, you, me, Doug Harrison, the Perrys, and everyone else needs to get out of His way and let Him.

BTW, thanks again for posting the link!

25. wanderer wrote:

#21 Quartetman, thanks for letting us know about that second series. I got the Master’s V one yesterday for Father’s Day. I have to ask for the second one for my birthday.

26. onemadeupmind wrote:

#24, Nope, I’m saying you can condition people to obtain the desired response. I see evangelists do it all the time. People come to the altar, yada, yada, but 2-3 weeks later, it’s as though nothing happened to them.

Salesmanship. Spiritual salesmanship, but conditioning people for a desired outcome non the less.

Glad to help, Wanderer. Here is a link to the ones in the sets that release on Tuesday:

CDGuy, did you get the first ones, or the second ones I mentioned?

29. cdguy wrote:

Q-man — I have both. And I LOVE them both.

I asked because you seemed to have gotten them early, lucky dog. :)

31. RDB wrote:

Apparently this guy really, really likes Salem Communications. What does this mean for Singing News?

32. cynical one wrote:

Q-man, I got the new batch as soon as they released early this month.

32 I wasn’t aware they were out then. The release date was listed as Tuesday and they were in a new release email. Maybe I need to shop where you do. :)

34. cynical one wrote:

q-man,

If I read my info correctly, there was no official street date. As with a lot of indie releases, if the store has them, they are encouraged to sell them. It’s not like WalMart or Target want to be sure no mom-and-pop store has an advantage. And heaven forbid a mom-and-pop store would ever have an advantage over a big-box retailer. ;-)