From the Vault

Great news, music fans. According to this comment, Daywind has released a slew of classic albums:

BLACKWOOD BROS/GIVE THE WORLD A SMILE SUNDAY MEETIN TIME

MASTERS V / CLASSICS OF YESTERYEAR & O WHAT A SAVIOR CD

OAK RIDGE QUARTET / RIVER OF LIFE & SING FOR YOU

SPEER FAMILY / FAMILY FAVORITES & KEEP A HAPPY HEART

STATESMEN / COMMON MAN & STATESMEN ENCORES

JD SUMNER STAMPS/COLORFUL STAMPS QT/SIGNS OF A GOOD LIFE

Burke has some links to the albums themselves.  The only downside I can see to this is that by releasing so much  good classic music, labels like Daywind (hello, Canaan?) will remind their customers how craptastic much of the new music is that these labels are releasing.

“Sing it again Bill … ‘I’m redeemed … by a love divine …Glow-ry Glow-ry, Christ is myyyyyyy-iiiiihne’”

Comments

1. Kyle wrote:

Interesting tidbit - The Oaks’ “River of Live” album was the first one recorded with Duane Allen. Half of the album has Smitty Gatlin on lead, the other half has Duane.

The other one, I believe, is one of two that included Jim Hammil on baritone.

Burke’s link is for the first set. These are the second that I mentioned:

3. John C wrote:

I can’t understand the unusual pairings of some of these releases. I wish they would all be in the same time frame as they did with the Blackwood and Speer Family collection. Some of the pairings (especially in the first group of releases) was rather bizarre.

4. cdguy wrote:

John C — #3 — It may have had to do with the song selections, trying to put out projects that had the best collection of songs. The thought process may have also included the desire to intentionally not limit the groups to one set of personel.

For example, I may have liked the Blackwood Brothers with J D and Wally Varner, but didn’t think I’d buy them with Ken Turner and Tommy Fairchild. Or vice versa. With the mixture of the two, maybe I’d learn to like both combinations.

I don’t know they thought it through that way, but maybe.

#3, I am not sure if they are putting “weaker” albums with stronger ones to sell more copies or maybe it has to do with song length. Some had twelve songs and of course a CD only holds around 74-80 minutes. I would have preferred them to release say two of the Oaks albums in a row instead of spanning a few years or more being mixed together.

6. wanderer wrote:

I’m just glad to see some Master’s V on C-D after all these years. Plus, I only have four Master’s V albums. So now I have their first album now that’s it’s on C-D. The next release has one album I didn’t have before either.

7. John C wrote:

You guys have some interesting ideas about it. I just wonder if there WAS any thought behind the pairings.

As to the song lengths, I’m sure someone will prove me wrong, but I doubt you could find any two Skylite albums that would fill an 80 minute CD.

John you may be right. Most are probably in the 30-35 minutes area. I know you deal with this a lot, but I hate when “historians” get it wrong. In the Oaks version, the “expert” mentions Willie, Duane, Bill and Herman as the people on the River of Live recording and doesn’t mention that Smitty is on it at all. I read it last night, but it also seemed like there may have been another error or half truth as well.

9. JulieBelle wrote:

Are you sure that it’s Daywind the label releasing these? Or is it New Day (Daywind’s distribution company) that’s distributing these for someone else. I thought Jim Black had the Blackwood masters and a few others. Anyone?

10. John C wrote:

#9 JulieBelle, I can’t answer that question, but I do know that Jim Black released 20 of the 24 songs from the Blackwood Brothers albums “Give the World a Smile” and “Sunday Meeting Time” in 1989 with notes that stated “Thanks To: Skylite Records”.

11. John C wrote:

By the way, in regards to my last post including the words “Thanks To: Skylite Records”, I’m not the one with capitalization issues. That is the way it was printed on the CD insert.

12. cdguy wrote:

#9 JulieBelle,

They do have the Daywind logo on the back of the cd case, and DAY numbers on the spine, as well as UPC codes that only Daywind would be able to use. Daywind is leasing the masters and doing the clean-up of re-mastering.

#10 John C,

Jim Black also licensed The Blackwood Brothers’ “Quartet Classics” (their first STEREO recording for RCA in the 50’s) and some previously unreleased solo material from James (adding additional voices on some of the songs), which he released in 2006. Both should still be available.

13. John C wrote:

I didn’t remember the “Quartet Classics” CD, but I googled it and found it on Springside Marketing. Looks to me like these songs are taken from the two Skylite albums that Black issued in 1989. Perhaps they were recorded in the RCA studios.

I have the James Blackwood unreleased CD. Makes you wonder how much more classic recordings are inside someone’s vaults.