What Mr. Sony can’t do

Via Avery’s old pal, Dean Adkins, and apropos the “what’s lost with overproduced band tracks” conversation:

Plus, you gotta love orange suits and shag carpet.

Comments

1. wanderer wrote:

Great stuff! Whatever happened to Duke (the guitarist) after the Stamps? I know Tony (piano) went on to the Blackwood Brothers and the Oaks and MCA records chief.

I think Duke Dumas was doing session work in the late nineties.

3. JulieBelle wrote:

COOL!

4. John C wrote:

When Duke left the Stamps, he spend some time in gospel music purgatory with the Happy Goodman Family.

5. Sensible wrote:

At the end of the video, other videos pop-up to view. I watched the one with the Stamps and the Elvis impersonator. What is funny is the mic cord keeps getting tangled in his belt. He finally just takes the belt off. LOL It just does not seem to best the best impression of Elvis.

6. Kyle Boreing wrote:

Notice also, there are no pedals on that guitar. Direct in (on a spring cord, no less), pure input.

7. Yeah... wrote:

John C - #4: So, Jim Dumas joining up with Eddie Crook on piano, Larry Strzlecki on bass, Jack Smith on pedal steel, Aaron Wilburn on rhythm guitar, and Rick G on drums was “musical purgatory”? Many players of the day would sure have loved to be in that kind of purgatory. As a country and/or sgm band, no one else came close. The Oaks band had more of a contemporary edge, and were excellent too. But sheesh, you surely must hate the Goodmans to make a comment like that.

8. John C wrote:

Yeah . . . How perceptive of you.

My little Boy watch this with me and he said… “Daddy the piano player was REALLY looking through his fingers.”

But it was a nice touch!!

Going to go look and see if there is another video from this taping where JD & The Stamps sang!!!

Oh… John… I know what you mean!!

11. Auke wrote:

Who’s the other player…is that a very young Tim Baty? Who played bass with the statesmen, and later went on to sing with Voice (Nielsen/Donnie Sumner)

Auke

12. NG wrote:

The bass player is Tim Baty. As noted he went to the Statesmen as bass player and left the group at the same time as Sherrill Nielsen to form the Rangers (later called Voice) with Donnie Sumner. You can hear Tim’s singing on the album “Distilled Gospel” by Nielsen, Sumner, Baty and Others. Others included Tony Brown (piano), John Rich (of Oaks) on guitars and Billy Blackwood on drums. Album says it is “100 proof gospel.”

13. Ben Harris wrote:

The Goodmans Band in the era that Duke was with them was a very good band, no doubt, But I think John C is lamenting the type of “music” that the Goodmans ushered in probably more so than the quality of the band. I worked a great deal at Goodman’s Studio in Madisonville, KY in those days (mostly for Rusty) and it was a great band to work with. A different drummer and it could have been even better. Aaron and I were just talking about those days not long ago when we worked a concert with him.

14. Yeah... wrote:

John C would have to weigh in on his point himself, Mr. Harris, but I took his remarks as more than the style of music that the Goodmans brought in. I also worked a lot at Electric Arts, also almost exclusively with Rusty. Their players were extremely good and versatile, and I agree 100% on your drummer remarks. But, said drummer wasn’t about to be replaced! Like The Goodmans or not, like their style or not, being asked to join their band in their heyday was considered anything but musical purgatory. Steve Chapman was also one outstanding guitarist who I’m sure you worked with.

15. John C wrote:

Ben knows me too well! The actual band was fine. Had they another name and were backing another group, I would not have used the words “gospel music purgatory”.

16. Ben Harris wrote:

#14, I never worked with Steven Curtis Chapman but I have worked with his dad, Herb Chapman many times. Steven at the time was a little kid full of questions at the time who simply tagged along with his Dad from time to time. Like any 11-12 year old, he was a pain to have in the studio while you were trying to work. But he was a good kid, just as he has become a good father.

17. Yeah... wrote:

Sorry, Mr. Curtis - not Stephen Curtis Chapman. The Goodmans used a guitarist simply named Steve Chapman quite a lot. A really good musician, and a great attitude. He was who I meant. Sorry for the confusion. Having said that, Stephen Curtis Chapman isn’t bad on the guitar himself, and he’s done fairly well, hasn’t he?!

18. Ben Harris wrote:

Yeah…Steve Chapman, he was the guy who replace Jim (Duke) Dumas. I only worked with him a couple of times for I built a studio of my own about that time in Paducah, KY.

19. Ben Harris wrote:

Wasn’t one of the engineers named Steve Chapman? The other was Larry Magaliner (spelling?) Are we not confusing the engineer with the guitar player. Got to thinking about that and it didn’t jive with what I remember.

20. onemadeupmind wrote:

Steve Chandler was the engineer that worked for the Goodmans, I think. 5-6 years ago engineered several Crabb Projects.

21. Ben Harris wrote:

Yep you are correct. When you gave me the correct name the gray matter finally connected. IN fact I run into “Steve Chandler” once in a while here in Nashville. I just went duh when you straightened out my thinking. YOu any kin to my wife? :)

22. onemadeupmind wrote:

Ask me about this post when you get home. I might be your wife, Ben! LOL.