The Bowling Family Group Trio

Well then, the news that Mike and Kelly Bowling have sent the third member of their group’s most recent incarnation packing, hired Terah Crabb Penhollow to fill out their trio, and (yet again) renamed themselves – this time, as The Bowling Family – has certainly created a lively conversation, hasn’t it?

I’ll explore some of the related and larger issues that came up during this discussion in separate posts to come. On the substance of the change itself, my general reaction is: meh. Let’s see what happens.

The Bowlings seem to have a professional vision problem, shading into an identity crisis, that they either compensate for or distract themselves from (hard to tell which) by constantly changing the peripherals: the group name, the third voice, the material, the name. The self-induced upheavals tend to throw them off balance artistically, which I suspect is what accounts for the way Mike Bowling can take the top of your head off one night and the next seem out of shape and no where near his pitches, or what can sometimes seem like the mildly plastic quality to Kelly Bowling’s on-stage persona.

In their defense, they’re part of a handful of country gospel acts with no real stylistic home, but that defense only goes so (and not very) far. And too, when they’ve settled down long enough to, you know, focus on making music and stuff, they’ve shown themselves capable of quality work. “Your Cries Have Awoken the Master” being the most recent example, or Mike Bowling channeling (as opposed to aping) Kenny Hinson – the former inadvertently devolving in the latter at times. Yet the vocal balance and mix of the Bowlings and that other guy were no small part of what made their music work most recently.

The optics of bringing Penhollow on board are powerful in the nostalgic, filio-pietistic world of southern gospel, and a lot of folks will love what the Bowling Family does no matter its quality because it’s now full of extended family members.

But the former Crabb Family, from which this new group is now more or less entirely drawn, required six voices to create the sound of a good trio or mixed quartet at any given moment in live concert, and it’s unclear to me that the non-Jason members of the former group are individually as talented as their collective family sound suggested. For better or worse, the new Bowling Family is about test that hypothesis. So … I guess we should stay tuned.

Comments

1. yoda wrote:

personally, i’m tired of hearing about mike and kelly bowling…and it all started when he [edit]and ruined a decent group…there has to be a reason that this couple can’t retain personnel for more than 6 months at a time…aka jeff snyder, chris whitaker, their own cousin whose name escapes me (and i’m too lazy to look it up), probably numerous bus drivers and piano players too…this has to be the most unorganized group in SG today…i don’t care how many number 1’s came off that record because anyone who knows anything about SG radio knows it is a joke…it’s all political [edit]

it sounds like they need to get over themselves and their egos, and stop trying to rely on the success of what the crabb family was…personally, i feel sorry for terah penhollow as she’ll probably have her eyes opened in about 6 months and leave them too

2. Webster wrote:

“filio-pietistic” - is that someone who believes in boneless pies?

3. weber wrote:

yoda, i am with you on this one, they obviously have no clue as to managing a group. The Crabb thing has run its course, let them hang out with the tele-evangelist on TBN, which sickens me, because some folks out there confuse them with being apart of Southern Gospel Music. Vocally speaking, I would put Pehollow somewhere between Peg McKamey and Ernie Dawson.

4. Jeff Snyder wrote:

I was there for two years and four months…didn’t leave because I had problems or they were hard to work for…just saying…also Doug, “that other guy” is me …I worked hard on my vocals so give me alittle credit…just because it ain’t a male quartet doesn’t mean that the people in the group don’t have names…and I don’t care what people think about me saying so…lol

5. SC wrote:

Of all of the people in the mix, Mike and Kelly are not the ones that need to get over themselves. You have no idea (obviously) what you are talking about.

Jeff left for more money, Chris left for personal reasons and has posted on this site ,to assure anyone that cares ,that he is still their biggest fan. Let’s talk about some other revolvong door groups…..hmmmm Wow, there are so many I can’t decide who to talk about:)

All of the Crabb’s have had various changes since they re-grouped into splinter groups. It must take a while to find that perfect thing.

I think Ernie could talk about this…remember Garry Jones, Shane Dunlap, multiple piano players???

The next twelve months will take this group to a level that will blow the minds of vocal snobs!

I saw Mike at the bus lot today and he has no idea that all of you are posting all of these stupid comments. I think they are too busy to read this garbage. Thank God!

I am a singer, and I am SO looking forward to their record. And yes, Mike can sing the phone book.

It is difficult at best to go from a “family” group, to anything else. Terah and Kelly are both thrilled to be on the same bus. Terah has always been involved ,vocally on Mike’s solo records. It is a perfect fit. The lower part is where she wants to be.

Why don’t you all just chill out. If you don’t like them don’t go hear them. Let these sweet talented people find their place and all of us that love them, let’s support them. All of you that think they stink, don’t buy a ticket or a record.!

Since you are all Christians, I am sure, pray for them. Pray for me too!!

6. twinkie lover wrote:

Well, it certainly seems as though there are some important facts left out! #1 Yoda certainly is correct on several of the issues because it so obvious. Look at the turn over inside the group. That other guy you mentioned is Chris Whitaker. After doing some research, there are some limited videos of him with Crystal River back in the day. I did see him at a concert recently w Mike and Kelly and his rendition of What a Day that will be was the best vocals of the night. He is a solid vocalist and it just doesn’t pass the smell test. Terah was his replacement so fast that it seems as though she was hired before he ever left.
    Now, speaking to the individuals personalities, I would preface this by saying the following is only my opinion. Recently, my cousin had M&K at their church for a homecoming dinner. Following the singing, Mike was cordial, but Kelly went to the bus without meeting anybody and didn’t even come in where the ladies had prepared an entire spread for the group. For Avery to simply classify her as plastic is very kind!! If Her name didn’t use to be Crabb, I’m afraid she wouldn’t even have a job. You can’t be a country DIVA and stick your nose in the air when singing gospel music.
    Honestly, I think Terah could do a solo album, stay at home, and sell more records than being with any group. I mean after all, 3 days before the BIG announcement, I read that she wanted to be at home?? Which is it, honey? You need not tarnish your girly, happy lady reputation by going this route.
    Ego is the perfect word I feel as laid out by Yoda. Seems to me like they’re (M&K) insecure about themselves or the group as a whole, not really sure.

7. twinkie lover wrote:

#4Jeff Snyder, seems interesting that the word on the street was that you left for more money? And you say no problems? Why do we all have a job, for money!!

#5 SC: Obviously, you are a family member, friend or mechanic at the bus lot, so you have reason to be biased. It’s ok, but the rest of us see through the smoke and recognize that there is a problem at the top. Sing the phone book? yes, he can!! Run a business? Afraid not! Maybe they’ll luck out and Kathy will open the purse strings again and pull this out of the ditch?

Therefore, I hope that Danny Riley does not change the name for Gold City as so many are suggesting on this site. You now see how stupid it can make an owner look.

8. SG promoter wrote:

OMG! Kelly a DIVA? You must be kidding. We are promoters. We have had the Crabb Family at our event for many years. In recent years we have booked Mike and Kelly and all of the Crabbs. I have become friends with Kelly. She has endured a lot of hardships with class and grace. If you knew her (and obviously you don’t) you would ask for forgiveness, tonight, for saying negative things about her. She is a prayer warrior and a woman of God.

If I made a list of the five least egotistical people I know, Kelly Bowling would be at the top of the list. She is loyal and never has an agenda. She won’t “God bless you” to get what she wants, only to forget your name the naxt week! Remember, we are promoters. We have seen it all.

How unfortunate that all it takes to post a negative comment about a Godly person, is a computer, an unGodly attitude, and a screen name.

9. Aaron Swain wrote:

Just to clarify, Chris Whitaker was not sent packing. He left by his own choice because a member of his family is sick and he felt that it was more important to be with them. Which it is.

So, hopefully we’ll see him with another group down the road. He’s a fine vocalist that I’m sure will end up with another top group in years to come.

10. ED wrote:

So, if they have no musical home with songs like “Your Cries Have Awoken The Master” then what is SG?

If I had a dime for every person that said the Isaacs, the Crabbs, the McKameys, the Bishops, etc. had no musical home, I could pay off Obama’s cash for clunkers program!

I have been around a long time and I have heard it all.

The fact that everyone cares enough to talk about them is telling.

11. Todd wrote:

Post#6 You obviously have a agenda…go eat a twinkie.

12. Melissa Mann wrote:

I’ve read posts on here occasionally, but never responded before until now. This time it has gone too far. The comments from a few people are just ridiculous and nothing more than borderline defamation of character. I’m appalled that it has been allowed to continue and further more that it is being encouraged! At the time when there are so many other things going on in this world that Christians should be getting angry about it and standing up against, instead they are on a website like this tearing down other Christians. Not a good use of the precious gift of time God has given us, is it?
    As far as the posts regarding Mike and Kelly Bowling, I have known this family for almost 10 years now. I consider them not just friends, but family. I’ve been with them first thing in the morning and the last thing at night. What you see really is what you get, these people are genuine. Being genuine does not mean you are perfect, it means you have a heart. You know when you have messed up, but you admit and move on. As far as being off one night or not sounding right, WE ALL HAVE BAD DAYS!!(yes I know it is in caps). We all have days we would like to forget, days when we just didn’t do things like we should, or days when we would rather stay in bed. We are human, but the amazing thing is on those days God still loves us and covers our mistakes! I would hate to know that every day that I had that wasn’t just right was scrutinized by everyone I ever came in contact with. A note about that, Kelly Bowling is one of the first when I’ve had one of those days to tell me she’s praying for me and to offer some encouragement. In my line of work, those words are priceless. I’ve kept notes before from these precious people just to read over again and they minister to me again. I’ve seen Kelly push past her own physical strength to minister to others. I’ve seen her off stage and on stage and what you see on stage is what you get off stage. She doesn’t change just because the microphone is down. A family is a group of people who are there for each other in good times and bad, through storms(literal and physical), through birthday parties, through awards, through kids being sick, through vacations etc. A family doesn’t run out when the world says they should, a family goes beyond a name and a position, a family is there when they don’t have to be, get the picture? A name doesn’t make a family; it is the love, care, and concern that you show for each other. The genuine interest you take in one another and the loyalty that goes beyond anything that this human world could describe. The Crabb kids are as family, as family can get, and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near any of you that would tell one of them otherwise.

13. Michelle wrote:

I would like to start off by saying that I am an employee of Mike and Kelly. This is the first time I have ever logged onto this website and only did today because I heard about this article. I am the babysitter and have the privilege of traveling on the bus every week with the group and also spending time with them off of the road. First of all, I think that it is stupid and senseless to attack a nine year old little girl on her vocal abilities. Hope is not only talented for a nine year old, but she is talented by anyone’s standards. She has had the priviledge of singing on a children’s album and sings in the Nashville Children’s choir, which does not accept everyone, and not only did she audition to join the choir, she was nominated by her music teacher at school. Also, Katelanne, their middle child is a talented singer at only 5 years old. If either one of them knew anything about these comments, it would devastate them. I personally think that it is awesome to see young kids passionate about getting up and singing the gospel in order to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ, so all I can say is shame on you for saying anything that would criticize innocent children or hinder them from fullfilling the calling God has on their lives.
    As for Mike and Kelly, they are some of the sweetest people you could ever meet. I have worked for them for a year and a half now, and have honestly NEVER seen Kelly get ugly with anyone! They are real people, who live what they sing. What you see on stage is what you get off stage. They would literally do anything for anybody in need. They both have wonderful spirits and I count it a privilege to call them my friends. As far as the turnovers within the group, it has nothing to do with Mike or Kelly, God has a funny way of working out His will.
    For the person who commented on Kelly not going in to eat after the homecoming, I was there for that service. Kelly had been very sick all weekend, and was dealing with a horrible sore throat, it was painful for her to even talk, so just the fact that she was able to get up and sing, rather than cancel the concert an go home is a testimony to the kind of person she is. She would never do anything to intentionally snub anybody, and would be deeply hurt by this comment. Mike and Kelly are humans and they have feelings and hurt and get sick just like all of the rest of us.
    I am deeply hurt for Mike and Kelly by the comments left on this site, you obviously have no idea what kind of people they really are and need to stop being so judgemental! I know for a fact that their highest priority is to see souls saved and lives changed by the message of Jesus Christ. After all, shouldn’t that be the number one priority for all of us as Christians, rather than to get on the internet and try to stir up all of this stupid, hurtful drama! If you knew the sacrifices that the artists make who live this lifestyle, you would think twice about judging them and saying hurtful things about them.

14. Jeff Snyder wrote:

I left because my wife was graduating medical school and she was either gonna be chosen by East Tennessee State University in Johnson City or The University of North Carolina in Charlotte for residency…it’s not left up for her to decide where she goes…medical doctors have something called a “match day” that takes place your final year when you are in med school and the University notifies you during a banquet setting in the month of April that they have chosen you…anyway to make a long story short…we talked about what would happen if we had to move to Charlotte…I don’t think I could make a 7 and a half hour trip to Nashville each week…so I even thought about coming off the road if I had to so we could move…during this window of time The Greenes (from Charlotte) opening came up…my wife and I prayed about it and we both were very clear about it…so I decided to leave…now you know that sometimes singers don’t leave “for the money”…I really don’t owe an explanation to anybody, but I just want to correct your “word on the street” comment twinkie…and since I’m here…let me just comment about something…there are gonna always be people that we don’t agree with or that we may not like…that’s okay, but the best thing to do is just let it go…honestly I got on here to just address things about me, but I have to say that since I was there that I have an obligation to be true to the truth…because at the end of the day…truth always wins…so can I say that Mike and Kelly were great people to work with…easy to travel with and ministry focused or I wouldn’t have stayed over 2 years there…if I traveled in one of these groups that don’t work altar calls then I would rather just go to the house to be honest…I have been very blessed to have shared the stages and platforms with them…btw I thank God for Tony and TaRanda too…they have been great to me…they are ministry focused and work the altars as well…God is so good to us if we just follow where He leads…I love Him for keeping me safe and allowing me to sing with all 4 of these great people…I am unworthy and they could have someone better, but God allows me to do it and I am thankful…Jeff

15. You Decide wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pJUzjOzf8&feature=related You decide if Hope can sing….sounds good to me…

16. Maleah wrote:

I find it quite interesting that 99% of the posters on here that feel free to post rude and cruel comments don’t feel quite free enough to post their names as well. I mean really, if you have something you want to say and aren’t ashamed to say it….why are you ashamed to attach your name to it? Wow. I’m so glad that I was already a strong Christian before seeing some of you people as examples. If I had seen you first I would have said that I didn’t want any part of “religion.” Way to let the light shine! Now….carry on being an excellent witness and insult little kids who are singing for Christ, call someone a diva that you don’t even know, gossip about these people and sling some mud……please….do continue….I’m sure God is looking down with such pride.

17. cdguy wrote:

#13 Michelle — Did you miss “Wacky’s” apology? You may want to go back and read it.

18. he wrote:

The youtube of Hope is at my church and that was a over a year ago. I am sure she is even better now. She killed it then. She was awesome.

19. NoCrabb wrote:

Well, simple solution. If you don’t care for the Bowlings, or The Crabb Family, or whomever, do what I do, turn them off, or take that time to take a break. NO one is going to torture you to listen to them. Thank God!! Between The Crabbs, and The Freemans, I don’t know who would be the worse. Certainly hope I never have to find out.

20. EX wrote:

Hummm Michelle,
    Since you are the current baby-sitter, I don’t think Kelly has unleashed her horable attitude or mouth at you yet….it’s coming at ya sweetie..Just remember, it won’t be the end of the world when it all comes crashing down…

21. close family member wrote:

Ex, we all know who you are, Your agenda is obvious to those that know. Kelly has never said a “horrible” thing to anyone in her life!! your words will haunt you and you will pay for them.

22. twinkie lover wrote:

Funny how the family is responding within 20-30 minutes of a negative response?

Melissa Mann….. Whatever!!

Michelle…… Don’t wanna get fired!!

Maleah…. Like your’s is a real name?

Jeff Snyder, I will refrain from telling the street version of your decision.. Seems as though you may have forgotten a few details, huh??

Don’t know who EX is, but they obviously do, huh??

Just remember… Everything that glitters (on stage) absolutely isn’t gold!!

Todd, care to join me for a twinkie? We probably already know each other, so we could skip the introductions. LOL!!!

23. Troy Peach wrote:

To put my two cents in - Mike and Kelly are some of my good friends and these negative comments about them being hateful couldn’t be further from the truth. We’ve worked together on and off the bus for years. I can promise you, what you see is what you get. They are the real deal. To say that Kelly will unleash her horrible attitude is completely ridiculous. I can only assume that you have some kind of score to settle and you think you can do so by making up some absurd lie. I know first hand, that Mike and Kelly are wonderful people and I’m proud to call them my friends.

24. Heather wrote:

This is the most ridiculous site I have ever seen. For a while I didn’t want to even waste my time posting until the comment from ex put me over the edge. I have worked for Kelly for almost 6 years and I have never gotten anything that could even be mistaken as an attitude from her. I don’t know who you are but I do know that you would have to do a lot for Kelly to ever say anything. If she ever did then you must not have been doing your job very well. I also feel sorry for those of you who feel the need to get on here and attack a little girl that lives to sing. Her parents never forced her to sing. She loves it. It’s her dream. I pray your comments never get to her and make her not want to be a part of this industry. Satan would love nothing more then that and I wouldn’t want to have any part of it. There are a few people that need to keep their uncalled for comments to themselves so those of us that love her and the whole family can have a chance to be blessed by them for years to come. And amen Maleah if you are brave enough to say it then be brave enough to put your name on it.

25. Sensible wrote:

Concerning the group name change, I think it is called bad branding. You got to stick with only one name. There will be at least three different CDs on the table with three different group names 1) The Mike Bowling Group 2) Mike & Kelly Bowling and now 3) The Bowling Family.

One solution is to re-release past recordings with new pictures, graphics, and the new name. But that costs money - especially if you go back and re-do vocals to add Terah to the mix. Then you get into which songs are in her range and which ones are since some of the past members have been guys.

It is hard to build an audience just for your group if the fans keep losing you (can’t find you) because you keep changing the freaking name. How frustrating will that will be at the local Christian bookstore when you want the lastest CD by — oops — what’s that groups name again? You know - they sing that song about Jesus.

26. Anthony Facello wrote:

I started reading these comments last night when someone made me aware of them. I have to be honest that this all disappoints me so much. I have traveled and been in SG for a long time and have seen, heard and been the brunt of some horrible negative comments and they hurt. If some of you feel these feelings for what ever reason just keep them to yourself and don’t risk hurting others. I know that I would consider it an honor to stand next to Mike Bowling as a singer, I do think he is an amazing, talented and anointed singer. As far as Kelly is concerned she is a wonderful person. Sometimes as singers and ministers of the gospel we get sick or just don’t feel well so maybe that is why she had to go to the bus? All of the negative comments are just in bad character and we all should not be so quick to bash, call names and hurt. Christ is love people and I know I want to be like Him, yes a fail daily and so far from perfect but lets strive for that and take the high road and encourage, lift and prayer for others not hurt them.

27. Tracy Page Francisco wrote:

This website should be boycotted by all Christians, Philippians 4:8 tells us what to think upon, Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things. and if true Christians are running it, I always thought being a Christian was being Christ like, can you imagine Christ saying some of these things? I must say my spirit is so grieved and I surely wonder how and what Christ must have felt when these words were spoken against God’s Children. If you say you are a Christian, why would you tear down your brother and your sister?? I don’t get it. We must begin to come together and build one another up instead of tearing down. It is the enemy that comes to kill steal and destroy, but God comes that we might have Life and that more abundantly.
    1 Thessalonians
    12Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.
    16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
    19Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; 20do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21Test everything. Hold on to the good. 22Avoid every kind of evil.
    23May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.
    25Brothers, pray for us. 26Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss. 27I charge you before the Lord to have this letter read to all the brothers.
    28The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
    Ephesians
    10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
    Matthew 18:
    18“I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will bed bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will bee loosed in heaven.
    19“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”
    I bind every word that has been spoken on the website and amongst people that say they are Gods children and these words will not prosper against the children of God. I speak Blessings and Life to these ones that have been attacked in Jesus Name and I pray every word that has meant to harm would fall to the ground and die. Blessing and Life to the Bowlings and to all that have been attacked. Mike, Kelly, Hope, and Terah you are loved by the Father God and continue to do what God has called you to do. This is just a ploy to detour you. You are very special people to God and very special to me and many others. Be encouraged in the Lord, He has given you great gifts, talents and calling, He has called you, it doesn’t matter what man may say… think of what they said to Jesus….

I pray mercy and grace to all of the people who have made these comments and the administrator of this website. I pray that you find true Healing and Restoration in Christ and let all the Bitterness’s and unforgiveness that have come into your life at some time and are coming out in your word be gone and that you truly begin to allow God to bring Change into your life.

Gods Word is TRUTH!!!!!

28. Todd wrote:

Amen Tracy!

29. BK wrote:

Bowlings?? Are there other national release albums in the SG aisle of your book store or Wal-Mart besides these folks? Are you truly confused about the branding?? My sympathy for you. Don’t forget your meds.

Let’s see: Bill and Gloria, The Gaithers, The Gaither Vocal Band, GVB

Sig Sound, Signature Sound, Ernie Haase and signature Sound, E and Sig Sound, Ernie and Signature Sound

The Crabbs, The Crabb Family, The Gerald Crabb Family, The Jason Crabb Family

Jeff and Sheri, The Easters, Jeff and Sheri Easter, Jeff and Sheri Easter with Rabbit, Jeff and Sheri with Charlotte

GET the point? I have heard these groups introduced in all of these fashions. Would you be confused…oh they said the Easters…I am leaving. That must not be Jeff and Sheri!!

If Mike, Kelly and Terah have found their heart’s place. I would assume Terah is not hired to be a “third part” for the Bowlings. I would assume that she is loved and respected by her sister and brother-in-law and her many years of service in the same family group would warrant a new approach to the situation. No disresoect to anyone. I would assume that they felt that keeping the branded last name was obvious, and just omit the first name, so that there was an inclusion that she deserved as a family member.

Get it people?

This ain’t real hard stuff. I think you have all shown your “stupid” side.

30. Michelle wrote:

In response to the comment made by EX, I’m not sure who you are or what you have against Kelly, but I have been with Mike and Kelly for a year and a half now, and I think that is ample time for Kelly to have unleashed her horrible attitude or mouth. When you travel on a bus with the same people every weekend, you get the opportunity to get to know the people and their true character pretty well, it is just not in Kelly’s character to have a horrible attitude or mouth. Twinkie Lover, I did not make that post to avoid getting fired, when I posted that comment, Mike and Kelly had no idea about the nasty and malicious comments being made about them on this website. I simply made that comment to defend the reputation and feelings of my friends, who have done nothing to deserve these lies and HATEFUL comments being made about them. So your accusations about my motives were completely WRONG!! Edguy, I did not see their apology, and have gone back to read it, and while I appreciate this apology, there are still plenty of other pathetic people on here still bashing Hope. If they only knew her real spirit and motivation to get up and sing. She has never been forced to get up and sing infront of a congregation, and honestly sometimes gets disappointed on the occasions when she doesn’t get the opportunity to sing. People need to grow up and leave this family and this ministry ALONE! Rest assured that despite all of the malicious attacks made on them, Mike, Kelly, Hope, and Terah will continue to fullfill the calling God has placed on their lives.

31. Sensible wrote:

BK - First, you and I are talking about two different things here. I’m not talking about how groups are introduced on stage or referred to in general talk or in a press release or blog.

I’m talking about the group’s name on CD covers and all other branding material. Every Artist title on Signature Sound’s CDs has been “Ernie Haase & Signature Sound.” Every Artist title on Jeff & Sherri’s CDs has been “Jeff & Sheri Easter.” Every Artist title on the Crabbs CDs has been “The Crabb Family” (when the group was together). Any other form of the group’s name has been “slang” by fans, publications, and promoters. This slang has not appeared on CDs and other products by the groups.

Okay - Gaither has went through some name changes, but not since he started the Gaither Vocal Band. He certainly has not changed names in a matter of just a few (2 or 3) years. Besides, you must understand the name Gaither is the umbrella name for the organization. Under that umbrella is the Gaither Vocal Band, Gaither Homecoming, etc. etc.

The album covers including The Bill Gaither Trio, The Gaither Trio, Bill & Gloria Gaither was all in the 1970s - well before the Gaither Vocal Band. He even titled one album GVB, but under the GVB it says Gaither Vocal Band.

My point is that good branding is consistent in the name given to the group. It does not keep changing on every album released or every other album or every 2 or 3 albums.

The McKameys even use the same graphic logo on every CD that they have used since the 80s. That is great branding!!

Never have you seen a CD that said, “Jeff & Sheri Easter with Rabbit” or “The Jason Crabb Family.”

All I’m saying is The Bowling Family needs one name and stick with it instead of changing it every time there is a member change.

32. Blah Blah Blah wrote:

WHATEVER!!!! My goodness, give it a break, people! Some people like the, some people don’t. Yeah, this was probably a bad decision w the name and all. What do you want them to do? Quit?
    Your attention, please? As a result of the bloggers on an opinionated internet post, Mike and Kelly Bowling have cancelled all of their dates this weekend and will remain at home curled up in the fetal position and try to figure out a manner in which they can deal with the opinions of some really mean people. But, don’t fear… As soon as the Perry’s, Easters and some guy I never heard of (Anthony Facello) return next week, they’ll be there to pick up the pieces. Care packages, during this grieving, can be sent to their SuperNanny, Michelle.

There, Did I miss anything? get Real!!

If these were Country artists or rock and roll stars, BOOM!!! Overnight, their value just went up. Instead of charging $3000 a night, they could charge $10,000 and we would be willing to pay it???? Suck it up Bowling Family and raise your prices!!!! The cry babies on this site need to find something else to be concerned about.

33. Maleah wrote:

#22 Twinkie

It is indeed.

First Name: Maleah
    Middle Name: LeAnn
    Last Name: Nelsen

Do you need a copy of the birth certificate too? Or would a facebook or myspace page count? lol

34. onemadeupmind wrote:

I’ve known Kelly for 20 years. She’s ALWAYS been a good kid with a great spirit. Never has been a DIVA of any kind. Mike is a wonderful person as well. I’ve known him for 15 years. The negative comments are Bull_ _ _ _!

35. 1 old fan wrote:

Ok, some people have known these artists all their lives, and never seen them have a bad day. Others HAVE seen them have a bad day.

Maybe because you’ve known a person all you life, you don’t really think about a bad day here and there. You just know they’re human.

Maybe we shouldn’t assume that the one time we saw a person, their bad day was indicative of over-all persona. But if we’re a person who’s in the public eye, and we know we don’t feel well, maybe we ought to just say so, and excuse ourselves to the bus. A simple statement like, “Thanks, you’ve been a great crowd. Sally Sue’s not been feeling well, and going to head to the bus, but the rest of us will be at the table, and we’d love to meet you all.”

Most of us (self included) could use a little more common sense, once in a while. OOPS! Common sense isn’t all that common, is it?

Maleah…

GOOD for YOU!!

I did think it was funny that some one named TWINKIE was being critical of some one maybe not using their real name!!!

ADD ME!!! Click on my name to my facebook page!!! I like a women with spirit!! or IN the spirit!!

37. Meagan Williams wrote:

I am absolutely disgusted and disappointed as I read through these comments. I rarely visit this website because it infuriates me that the author of this blog uses it as a personal forum to post his pessimistic comments, that only have HIS VERSION of honesty to them most of the time.

I do not understand how you people can call yourselves Christians and sit here and verbally (by way of computer) bash people like this! What right do you think you have to speak about people like this? If this were turned around, you would certainly not want people talking like this about you.

You negative people need to take a good long long at YOURSELVES before criticizing people as you have done here.

I am incredibly saddened and disgusted by what I see here. May God have mercy on you all for talking like this. If you cannot be at least respectful when you air your negative opinions, then keep them to yourselves! There will always be singers you like and dislike, that is absolutely NO reason to be ugly like this and talk so badly about them. I pity every single one of you who this it is ok to do something like this!

38. Meagan Williams wrote:

And on a side note, God bless Mike and Kelly Bowling and everyone else involved in their ministry for making the sacrifices to do what they do!

39. Larry Blackburn wrote:

These personal attacks are unchristian. Do you think because you
    think you know someone or something about them you can attack a person. For the record . I have worked for the Crabb Family and traveled with Mike while he was traveling solo. I have lived with these people ever day for day’s and sometimes mths on end. I have never known Mike or Kelly to be nothing but who they say they are. None are perfect no not one, And that includes you who are attacking these people. Think about this the Bible says To touch not mine anointed and do my prophets no harm. I can tell you as a Pastor there both anointed. If you have a problem with them pray for them don’t slander them and there children, There may be a day when you try to book the very child who you say can’t sing. As there was a day we all needed to practice our gifts. And I don’t work for them now so I am not afraid of loosing my job. And it’s none of your business if I left for more money or not. I haven’t worked for them or had that much contact in a few years. But I guarantee if I needed them I could call tonight and they would be there if at all Possible.

40. Yada Yada wrote:

Use “there” when referring to a place, whether concrete (”over there by the building”) or more abstract (”it must be difficult to live there”). Use “their” to indicate possession. It is a possessive adjective and indicates that a particular noun belongs to them. (”My friends have lost their tickets.”) Remember that “they’re” is a contraction of the words they and are. It can never be used as a modifier, only as a subject (who or what does the action) and verb (the action itself). Here is a complete correct sentence using all three. “I can’t believe they’re leaving their children there alone!”

41. Rita Stacy wrote:

Whoopi, Terah is back!! You all are great!
    How about a Terah’s favorite songs, have’t got that one, let me pre- order it now, please!! Let Hope sing and let God sort out the rest. Can’t wait to hear all of You!

42. jbb wrote:

Yada Yada..Who really cares….

43. Larry Blackburn wrote:

Here is a complete correct sentence for you. 40. Yada Yada.

GET A LIFE GOOFBALL !!

It was 12:33 a.m. get the point Mike and Kelly are good people doing THERE lol best to carry the gospel to the lost.What are you doing to
    shine a light to the lost correcting
    grammer hehe ?

44. Yada Yada wrote:

jbb…just trying to help people look less dumb…sorry if I offended you…I won’t comment again I guess…

45. jbb wrote:

Yada Yada: I wasn’t offended. I just don’t think we need a grammar lesson on here. Don’t let me stop you from commenting.

Some ppl like yada yada can’t add much more than THEIR Grammar check. If it is all ya got it is all ya got yada yada… it is what it is… but appropriately named!!!

47. Yada Yada wrote:

jbb - thank you! Sorry for posting the grammar lesson. God bless!

48. DMP wrote:

It’s THEIR, not THERE. Feel ministered to?

49. Yada Yada wrote:

Thanks Wade! haha Glad someone got it! lol

50. Anita wrote:

I think all of this is silly. I know that Terah put it out there that she wanted to be a “stay at home mom” what happen? And as for Mike & Kelly, they sing great together and in my opinion don’t need any added vocals. And they really need to consider their babysitter. She is a weird “girl”. She is rude and to be honest I wouldn’t allow her kissing my children in the mouth. I am not sure about the bus drivers (why they have had so many) but maybe they just don’t pay them good. Who knows?

51. TIM PERKINS wrote:

TO YOU WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS AND REMARKS I ASSUME YOU CALL YOURSELFS CHRISTIANS! THATS A SHAME AND YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELFS HOPEFULLY YOU WILL ASK FOR FORGIVENESS AND MAYBE TRY TO BE MORE CHRISTLIKE ! YES I SUPPORT SG AND THE BOWLINGS AND HAVE SEEN THEM TO MANY TIMES AND KNOW THAT THEY MINISTER TO PEOPLE WHICH IS WHAT YOU ALL SHOULD BE TRYING TO DO!!!!!!!!!

52. ME wrote:

DO YOU HAVE TO SHOUT?????

53. Scott wrote:

I understand the point of critics and everything, however as the bible tell us who are we to judge their hearts. I remember attending a concert at the time of The Mike Bowling Group when Jeff was with them and the holy spirit was definitely there and we saw TWO PRECIOUS SOULS SAVED!!! As far as talent they may not be the best managed or the most talented vocally however they are going out here working for our Lord and Savior day in and day out so give them a little credit, their songs are greatly written and they do put on a great concert. As far as Jeff goes, he left to be with The Greenes not because of problems as he himself said but because it was a better opportunity for him just as Jeremy Lyle left Crystal River to be with Brian Free and Assurance. You can’t blame someone for wanting to better themselves in not only their career but also as far as potentially reaching more people for Christ. Maybe it was closer to his wife in KY to go to NC then to Henderson. I dunno but I know what Jeff thought of Mike and Kelly and how they took a chance on him someone who has never really been a true tenor his whole life and to take him on. It’s easy to tear people down and the world does that enough why not try to build them up. God Bless

54. little lady wrote:

i love the Bowling/ Crabb family. They came to our church a few days ago and sang for us. It was really spiritual, I loved it!!!!!!

55. Judge not wrote:

Our Church has had Mike & Kelly several times they are real people, with a true love for the Lord. They continue to sacrifice their time to tell others about Jesus, & sing words of encouragement to all of us.

56. patty h wrote:

I have seen/heard the Bowlings many times and will again. Love to hear them and all the Crabbs. We are free to chose who we listen to. My 17 yr old neices travel with me to see them when possible. They love them all.

57. Daniel wrote:

Transitions are always hard. I have seen many groups, Regroup more than once. Obviously the person that wrote this article has not been around very long.The Bowlings have always done an awesome job and I have seen them several times in concert. I will go and see them anytime that I get a chance!

58. rd samples jr wrote:

i am a singer and a minister all i can say to you is
    Matthew 7
    1Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
    ye blind guides you gag at a gnat and swallow a camel

59. paige wrote:

Really? this is what we do? those of you who have defended The Bowling Family, I commend you. Those of you who have spat upon them saying they stink, that they are mean, snubby, etc. etc. etc. Have you ever traveled and sang SG music or any music for that matter. People it is a job, whether doing it to Glorify the name of Jesus (which i believe Mike, Kelly and Terah all do and those that use to sing with them) it is still a job. So at your job you are always nice and speak to everyone you come in contact with? Now I know, I know, they are representing God and unfortunately live in a glass house. I am sure they have bad days, days when they don’t feel good, i know i do. So give them a break. And the name change, really is that big of deal that its all you worried about, you ever heard of Transition time.

What we need to be concerned about is them getting better. I pray that we all get over it and I pray that the Great Physician heals their bodies and that they return to the stage to sing the gospel of Jesus and that souls are either saved or touched for eternity through their ministry, no matter what their name is. I don’t know them personally have no hidden agenda, but i do have a CD of The Mike Bowling Group, Mike and Kelly Bowling, Best of Mike and Kelly all the Crabb Family stuff, Jason Crabb, Aaron and Amanda, Crabb Revival and can not wait to buy SHINE by The Bowling Family. As long as it has Mike Bowling, Kelly Crabb Bowling and Terah Crabb Penhollow singing on it i don’t care what their name is. We are praying for you and a speedy recovery. Love you

60. Grace wrote:

Why don’t we all get together and pray for a speedy recovery for the whole Bowling family. I’m a seventeen year old preachers daughter and after all the junk and fakeness

61. Grace wrote:

Sorry my whole post didn’t come through. …I’ve seen from people who carried the Christian name I’ve learned to cling to the ones who live their lives to help others. There have been several times when music from the Bowling family has helped me pull through when I thought I couldn’t take another step. I’ve made up my mind, no matter what I’m serving the Lord with the rest of my life. This isn’t the case with everyone. I hope you older ones will consider what a difference your comments may make in the life of someone else. You just might turn someone else away from Christianity!

62. Tilly wrote:

Please, don’ t disgrace the Bowlings or yourself with slander, i beleive they are good people, no one is perfect,we should not judge, or hurt others. The Lord says love one another as Christ loves us.I love and respect this group,enjoy their singing. Thers no place for jealousy or star worship, see them as workers in the field, it is a hard calling,working,traveling for the Lord,worth every mile, in his service,