Open thread

NQC coverage and attention have sort of sucked a lot of non-convention oxygen out of the room lately, so consider this your open thread for non-NQC stuff. Some things to get us started.

• I didn’t go to the pyrotechnic pianos or whatever the NQC piano showcase is now called because … well, it usually amounts to pyrotechnic pianos. But reader KC sent along this clip of Stan Whitmire defying my expectations. It won’t knock the top of your head off, or anything, but given that these piano showcases usually devolve pretty quickly into Battles of Flamboyance, tasteful and reserved is quite an achievement all the same. I’d recommend listening but not watching the clip, since the handheld videography gave me motion sickness.
  • Jeff Foster is the latest addition to the southern gospel blog world. Welcome.

What else?

Comments

1. Michael McIlwain wrote:

Doug, thanks for starting an open forum. I had been having some non-NQC ideas running through my head lately.

About one or two weeks ago you were critiquing some of the lyrics and lack of theological depth in some of the SG songwriting. I tend to agree that there is not much of a theological center in much SG writing. Praise and Worship went through this a few years ago, but folks like the Sovereign Grace folks as well as Keith Getty and Stuart Townend are changing that. Hopefully, more SG songwriters will delve deeply into good theology and mesh great truths with creative songwriting.

I was thinking the other day of some timeless SG songs that do more than just rehash old phrases such as “sweet by and by” and “crossing Jordan” and other such phrases and, instead, presenting some thoughts that have taken people to a new way of thinking about things.

Dottie Rambo’s “In the Valley He Restoreth My Soul” is a great song that faces trials in a head-on manner and finds God’s grace to be sufficient in hard times of life instead of merely promising that things will be okay in the by and by.

Another of Dottie’s songs that had a unique way of looking at things was “I Just Came to Talk with You, Lord.” I see this song finding its musical cousin in Sufjan Stevens’ “To Be Alone with You.” These song approach fellowship with Christ from a different angle, but they do share a similarity in that they are about desiring fellowship with Jesus.

I’m wondering if anyone else has other examples of great gospel songs that express truth in a unique way and that would be a good template for today’s songwriters to follow.

2. Rob wrote:

I think

3. Rob wrote:

I think in should be LOUISE that receives all the SG awards instead of Barbara. Louise opened her theater in Pigeon Forge to Sunday Morning Worship services with a lot of SG artist singing at the theater. Later she introduced Triumphant Quartet to the world of Southern Gospel Music by allowing a venue for them to perform. They performed Morning Shows and Sunday Night Shows at the theater for several years. She still make rare appearances with them as they are now traveling full time. Through her getting them started at the theater they have become this years Favorite SG Quartet. The piano player Jeff Stice won his second title as Musician of the Year and Eric Bennett won favorite Bass Singer.

4. Nashville Phil wrote:

Rob,
    Ditto! What in the World has this Broad done for SG? Louise is a humble and real person! I’ve worked with both and know of which I speak. Impact Award..Huh?

I swear, if you looked up the word FAKE, you see a picture of the Babs.

Having said that, I don’t see where having any Country Artist receiving SG awards serves this genre. Surely, there is someone in SG that actually has had an “Impact” far more significant that she!

I better stop before I get myself in a tizzy. How bout they give that award to someone whom has actually made a difference. I’m just saying.

5. gina wrote:

Anyone know what Lewis Phillips’ plans are now that the Lewis Family is retired? I saw that he is planning to work a Christmas date with the Larkins Family, along with his mom, Janis, and cousin, Travis, but is this a permanent group? He is such a talent and I hope he continues to sing and play in some capacity.

6. MityCats wrote:

What about Heather Campbell? I thought she was president of the SGMA when it first started? I could be wrong…..

7. scope wrote:

Heather was employed by the SGMA to put together and run the museum and hall of fame. She never was even a member of the board, let alone the president. Heather poured her life into starting the museum; and I think we all owe a great to Heather for the work she did. She left to start another museun in Nashville. Karen has been one of the most vocal and hardest-working members of the SGMA board. They made a great choice making her president.

8. scope wrote:

That should read “We all owe a great debt to Heather . . . “

9. Videoguy wrote:

Just an open-thread diversion…enjoy.

10. DP wrote:

Long time reader. First time posting! Saw Gold City last night and they were outstanding. Tim Riley is still filling in and he was as good as ever. The new tenor, Chris was excellent. He has a great tone and hit all the high notes with no problems. The blend was incredible and Danny did a great job of calling the program. We have a ton of concerts at our church and other then the Perry’s, GC was the best I have seen in a long time.

11. Sensible wrote:

Speaking of GC. Daniel Addison traveled along with GC and ran sound. If the promoter paid for a band, Addison would play lead guitar. He was a full-time employee. GC let him go and told him they were “reconstructing” the group. (That was Addison’s words.) GC offered to let him stay until he found something, but he said it was hard to find something while on the road 5 days a week.

12. RDB wrote:

This is OT but I found this post about Thomas Kinkade to be rather interesting.

Here’s a quote that I think has its parallels in SG.

” Yet I think my biggest dislike of these paintings is simply that they are not true to the world. It’s not just that the water wheels he paints couldn’t turn, that no house ever glows like that, or that it’s sometimes impossible to know whether it is dawn or midday. It’s something more profound: these paintings are escapist in the worst sense of the word. In Kinkade’s world, no shadow falls. And because no shadow falls there can be neither redemption nor authenticity. His paintings, as Christian Art at the very least, are lies both about us and about the world.”

13. Alittlecloser wrote:

Does anybody know…why didn’t Perfect Heart last? Was it monetary issues? Were they not as popular as their talent indicated they should have been? I’d still pay to go hear Funderburk even now, in a group I mean.