Every Day

Have I mentioned before how far superior the Cathedrals’ gobsmackingly good “Every Day, Every Hour” (High and Lifted Up) is to the Gaither Vocal Band’s silly techno-pop cotton-candy version (Peace of the Rock)? The Cats’ arrangement has such vocal presence and immediacy, such harmonic precision and perfectly arced musical thoughts, and then there’s that astounding instrumentation that gives the entire affair a feeling of ascendancy, while the GVB arrangement has … a tenor sax and Michael English’s self-indulgent vocal arabesques.

If you’ve got the Cats cut, fast forward to the second chorus where they revoice the parts and then modulate up … and then up again. Set me free. My neighbors are going to start pounding on the ceiling soon, I’m sure, but that’s ok. They could stand to get saved a little down there anyway.

PS: I miss First Love too.

Trackbacks & Pings

1. Southern Classic(s) Rocks: The Gardener On GVB « Friday Night Revival on 08 Sep 2011 at 12:23 am

[…] be no contest.  Southern Classics is at the top.  While googling some various info, I encountered this interesting thread published a couple of years ago, cementing a popular opinion.  Scroll down and you’ll get to […]

Comments

1. Kyle wrote:

Makes me wonder what Terry Franklin’s original vision for the song was, since he wrote the song and was a member of the GVB….

2. JEB wrote:

Thanks for the new word… Of course, I had to look it up…

When English did a solo concert a few years back here near my home, I defined his style as vocal gymnastics - and I did not enjoy it at all. Two hours, eight songs - way too much talking. If he hit a solid note that night - it was only briefly. Soon he was off to another…

The Cathedrals were the gold standard and they are missed by all.

JEB

3. Auke wrote:

I so agree on this one…as i recall the song was written by Terry Franklin and Barbi Franklin, the first sang tenor with the GVB at that time…and might i add, Terry was one of the finest tenor singers they ever had. Talking about favorite renditions of this song..i’d go with the Cats one in a heartbeat. Still in the context of the CCM/Poppy recording of the album Peace of the Rock as a whole…that really hadn’t one really SG/Quartet number…Every Day,Every Hour saluted to the four part harmony tradition on the album…so in that way i loved the song on the VB album too. But the Cats treated the song more seriously…and made a real gem of it.

Auke

4. natesings wrote:

The Cathedrals did have a great arrangement of that song. Then again, that whole CD is incredible. Hands down the best CD they had in the 90s, if not their whole career in my opinion.

5. Auke wrote:

#JEB

I don’t wanna quarrel about if Mike could sing or not…cause nobody in their right mind would dare to state that Mike couldn’t..or could they? Your assesment of his singing…is just a matter of taste..i for one love Mike’s voice and style…especially within the SGM context. In CCM he was just one of the others (while still standing out as far as voice quality distinction goes).
    This guy has influenced SG and prolly was the grandfather to what we now know as ‘progressive SGM’.
    He changed the sound of the way background vocalists used to sing…in a big way. He changed lead singing as much as Jake Hess and Russ Taff did earlier. Mike English did a lot for SGM..you may or may not like that fact…but it is a fact. Just like decades before this, when everybody wanted to be Jake Hess…in the 90’s everyone wanted to sound like Mike English.
    I love Michael English, and love the song..Everyday,Every Hour…love both discussed renditions…in their own right that is.

Auke

6. Terry Franklin wrote:

Barbi and I originally recorded “Every Day, Every Hour,” but I always heard it as a quartet song. Prism Music was next to record it doing a choral print version that had a really great orchestral track. I took that track and made a quartet demo that was basically the same arrangement the Cats did minus one thing: the “magic” that the Cats had — NO ONE could touch their version of it!

The GVB version was in keeping with the CCM style of the rest of the “Peace Of The Rock” record. You’ll recall that at that time the GVB had their feet in both worlds, CCM and Southern Gospel. The producer, Cheryl Rogers, programmed the track and the song is Mike English and me on the leads and adlibs and, as I recall, me and Mike Eldred singing the BGVs.

Lots of folks seem to like the GVB version but I’m with you, the Cathedrals “owned” the song.

7. Terry Franklin wrote:

I agree with Auke regarding Mike English. He is, hands-down, the best singer I’ve ever heard. He is more than just a hot-licks singer — no one can blend like Mike on ANY part…in any style. And yes, a whole generation of singers patterned their style after him. His influence is still heard today.

8. Auke wrote:

Thanks Terry…and while the occasion presents itself…like Glen Payne once said; Terry Franklin is the best first tenor ever…or something to that effect. I agree with that 100%. You and Mike sounded amazing together…wish you were present at the GVB reunion…i really missed you…and the Reunion DVD’s are the poorer for it..imho.

God bless Auke

9. DMP wrote:

I agree that English will sometimes lose me with an indulgence here and there, but his vocal harmony has a sound that can’t be matched. In songs like Little is Much, there is no replacement for that sound, and Penrod did his best to emulate it. And Terry Franklin, by far one of the best. Between him and English, that group attained a sound that was to be forever imitated.

10. Terry Franklin wrote:

Auke,
    Thanks for the kind words.

11. Bud Alexander wrote:

Never . . . use . . . one . . . ellipsis . . . when . . . a . . . dozen . . . are . . . available.

12. JEB wrote:

Auke:

Don’t get me wrong… Michael English is a great singer, perhaps one of the very best to ever come out of my beloved state of North Carolina - and we’ve had some great ones.

I just simply did not enjoy his solo era - specifically that night in Charlotte and what I called vocal gymnastics. He would land on a note that was great - and immediately be off to another one.

I did complain to his agent about the two hours and eight songs, not about the singing. I took 12 people to that concert - all who were disappointed.

To each his own…

JEB

13. Auke wrote:

Ok JEB…no problem here….i get you now..it’s allright!
    Terry you’re welcome..i meant every word of it!

Auke

14. in the know wrote:

Terry Franklin is freaking awesome. I have a bunch of demos of Jim Brady songs that he has done and they are so cool. I have the original Truth Is March On and a song called He Remembers To Forget that Jim wrote a few years ago that I think the Hoppers are recording among others. Terry kills them.

Michael , Mark and Terry were so awesome and it all seemed so effortless. I too wish Terry had been on the reunion videos. Don’t know why he wasn’t there but as good as the vids are, they could have been way better if he had been there.

I have a friend who likes the GVB version and thinks that the Cathedrals music was all “old man music.” He went with me to see the Oaks, GVB, Gold City (with Steve and Bill), J.D. and the Stamps and some others, but for some reason didn’t get into the Cats. He might have listened to Champion of Love, but that is about it. I had him listen to the Cats version years, and sure enough he didn’t like it. I, myself can appreciate both, but might lean towards the GVB even though the Cats is also one of my favorite groups of all time. I know I preferred the GVB original version of Daystar instead of the Cats.

Speaking of comparing the two, it is fun to hear the differences in the Singing Americans (with English and Strickland) version of We Shall See Jesus in comparison to any of the Cat’s versions. Both are good.

English is one of my favorite lead vocalists in the GVB, Singing Americans or Goodmans. I didn’t care a whole lot for the music on the Couriers Unlimited Album, but he did do well.

I do like some of his solo stuff, but prefer him in a group. As far as solo stuff though, when he reigned in a bit of his improvising and did good material, man could he sing. Although I didn’t care for a lot of his stuff on his secular solo CD, the song Find My Way Back To You was awesome. There were I think a couple of other decent ones or so (maybe three more (and of course Healing before that was great.) I think there are times when his improv goes a bit far where he removed too much of the melody and or was too much over the place, but within limits when he does it, it is awesome and adds a lot to the songs.

Terry and Mike blended very, very well. I am sure a lot of people couldn’t tell them apart when they traded off. I really enjoyed Terry in particular sing Little Is Much. Funny story, I formed a church quartet to sing it. I had an alto sing his part and I sang Mike’s. She got sick and had to leave prior to second service. I had to sing a combo of our two parts (cover the melody) AND the last solo with the high C. Thank God it was not first service and that I had been singing it at home for fun. I nailed the C on the solo, but chickened out and backed off and sang falsetto at the end as it is held a lot longer. :-)This was around 1994.

16. Tony Watson wrote:

I heard, with my own ears, Glen Payne just a few months before he passed away, say that Terry Franklin was the best tenor he’d ever heard.

When I had a radio show from the late 80’s to mid-90’s, I played GVB’s “Little Is Much” with Terry Franklin singing it almost every week from the time it came out until I stopped hosting the show.

17. David Bruce Murray wrote:

Once Bill Gaither turned his attention to Southern Gospel, he did something even more important than reviving the careers of Hovie, Jake, Vestal, and the rest.

He really raised the bar for recorded music in this industry. The production quality on _Peace Of The Rock_ is top notch overall, despite the novelty treatment given to “Every Day, Every Hour.”

_Homecoming_ and _Southern Classics_ were somewhat off-the-cuff. By the time _Testify_ came out, though, the production level previously displayed by the GVB on _Every Day, Every Hour_ had came to the fore.

Plus, “Arms Around The World” is just a fantastic song.

18. Auke wrote:

#quartet-man…i agree with all you said.
    But please enlighten me…on what album of the SA is We Shall See Jesus? And The Couriers Unlimited…..? what is that? i never heard of it…and i recently bought what i thought the almost complete Couriers discography on CD (which i highly recommend btw).
    Glen was right about Terry wasn’t he Tony?

Auke

I forgot to mention, when we did Little Is Much the songbook wasn’t out yet, so I transcribed it. Well, actually I think the J Card in the cassette had the melody, so I just modified it and transcribed the harmonies.

Auke, it was on their “Something Old, Something New” album from 1984. Couriers Unlimited was a group based in Kentucky that Michael joined after the Goodmans broke up. He was there for less than a year. I found my copy at Half Price Books in the nineties. I had never heard of them or it, but recognized Michael and snapped it up.

20. Terry Franklin wrote:

Mom, are you sockpuppetting again?? LOL Tony, thanks for the equally kind words.

21. Auke wrote:

Thanks Q-man for that..i actually own that album….i sometimes get a big batch of recordings in one time and miss some of the good stuff….aw well a luxury problem..i guess. I’d love to get my hands of that Couriers Unlimited recording..any suggestions where to look?

Auke

22. RDB wrote:

I think the key is how it ages. Sure the Cathedrals are “old man’s music” but another word for “old” music that’s still around is “timeless”. The GVB thing dated itself, however well produced it was, while the Cathedrals is a snapshot in time that seems not be stuck in a particular era. It’s not of the “now” but you can’t peg it to the past, at least not in an essential way. I’ve never heard anything quite like it since, it was one of those things that can only happen once.

Auke, I have seen a few mentions online, but don’t think I have ever seen another copy for sale. I can check a place or two, but they seemed to probably be a regional group, so they might be pretty rare.

24. Terry Franklin wrote:

I worked with a producer years ago, Bruce Koblish (who later became President of the Gospel Music Association), who I think was in that group with Mike, along with Steve Adams. Maybe if you spend some time Googling names…

I believe that the ones on the lp itself are Ray Boling and Steve Wilson. As far as I know he only did the one lp with them. I know of at least one other the group did, but as far as I know Michael wasn’t on it (I have seen the cover, but not listened to it or have it.)

Oh, and also years ago I found a post on a message board (about pets I believe) by the sister (I think) of one of the members of the group, I tried contacting her for more info, but never got a response. She was at least related and the group or some related info was mentioned which is how I found it.)

27. Tony Watson wrote:

#20 Terry - I thought Glen’s comment said volumes and it came in July before he passed away later that year and I thought since I saw you here I’d make sure you got to “hear” it. I was traveling with a group and helping them run the table that week so the gathering of about 10 people around Glen was all artists pretty much so he wasn’t just spouting off

Terry, I understand that you filled in for Ernie in the Cathedrals at one point. Is that right? That would have been cool to hear.

29. Terry Franklin wrote:

Yes I did, for 4 concerts. I remember each one because it was an incredible privilege. They were an amazing group and to get to “sit in” with them at that time was something I’ll never forget. Each one of them: George, Glen, Scott and Roger was a master of their own position. I just hung on for the ride each night! It was a blast.

Thanks, I sure wish I had heard and seen that myself. For that matter, I wish I had been able to sing with them, but I’m certainly not a first tenor. Maybe I could have gotten Scott to sit one out. :-)
    As far as your comment about just hanging on, I have no doubt that you were an asset to them, but I realize how cool it would have been to sing with them even for someone with your talent.

BTW, Terry, it seems odd to call someone else Terry (I have before, but not used to it too much :) I just found this video. Way to get ‘er done. Did you guys record this on Southern Classics first and it not make the cut? I know Jonathon and Buddy did an arrangement on the Testify CD.

32. matthew wrote:

The Cathedrals High and Lifted Up is indeed one of their best ever. Right up there with Live in Atlanta, Voices in Praise Acapella, and Prestigious Cathedral Quartet. The song selection, arrangements,lyrics, everything is where it should be. Man, I still miss that group. The sacrifices and effort that George/Glen and the group made to bring this group to such success are immensely appreciated still.

33. Terry Franklin wrote:

We never recorded it with the group I was with. It was one of those spontaneous things that Bill would occasionally call out. It’s pretty obvious I don’t know the words! We just made up the ending on the spot, as I recall.

34. in the know wrote:

Terry….that is what made you guys so awesome! If you ever find a time machine, PLEASE go back in time and attend that gvb reunion. LOL. I have hear so many people say that it was good but it was missing…YOU. Oh well.

35. Ron F wrote:

Thanks for the video clip #31 Quartet Man that is good stuff. Were they just practicing?? There was alot of people in there , was it the audience, or was it just a few fans enjoying the song?

36. jgurnett wrote:

Terry - Re: the appearance at Stamps-Baxter, do you remember that night very well? I was there. It was indescribable how powerful the Spirit of God was in that place. I also remember a young guy from Georgia jumping up on stage to start preaching, which seemed to freak Michael and Mark out a bit… Ha!

Terry, thanks for the info and for answering my questions.

38. Terry Franklin wrote:

Yes, I remember it. It was all very much “live.” And, #36, God’s Presence is what it’s all about.

#35, Mark has other clips from the same night too. I have listened to many, if not all. I will make sure I have seen them all when I can. To see the others, pull that video up and clip on the link with Mark Lowry’s name. You will see a play list and a bit down those clips are in a row.

40. Videoguy wrote:

“Every Day, Every Hour”

Ernie seems to suffer a little pitch disorientation at 2:23.

41. cynical one wrote:

Videoguy — #40 — I hope you’re not surprised Ernie had pitch disorientation. That’s one of his trademarks. Always has been.

42. Ron F wrote:

I hate to change the subject, but I just heard that Chris Cooper has left Gold City Qt. Maybe Avery can tell us more. What is going on in Gadsden AL???

43. Art wrote:

44. Jeff Crews wrote:

As a SG fan at a Christian college in the 90’s, I became extremely proud of Michael English. EVERYBODY else was in to CCM. Mike was the first SG boy to make good in the big time (CCM). I saw him in concert with the Martins singing backup. It was like Elvis was in the building. He was totally unashamed of telling the crowd of CCM fans that the best music in the world was the Happy Goodmans, The Kingsmen, etc. After the concert, fans were lined up to see him (many CCM fans unaware that an artist would visit his own record table). He signed autographs and was pleasant to everyone, but when I asked him about Vestal, (before her big comeback), he launched into a 30 minute conversation with me about his SG heroes - while everybody else waited to meet him. He validated a music form that at that point only had Gold City and The Cathedrals doing anything of notice to the wider music world. As great as both groups were, they were not COOL. They had magic galore, but no cool factor. The GVB was cool - good looking young guys dressed like people their age who transcened stylistic boxes. Anyone from that era knows that every lead singer or tenor singer absolutely IDOLIZED English. Though I was extremely disappointed in his very public trouble, I remember that he displayed shame - something that is missing from our current culture. HE gave the Doves back, HE left Gaither, not the other way around. I’m thrilled to have him back in the SG world. One last note, Southern Classics was NO throwaway album. Every church quartet in the country was doing “their” version of every song on that album. “Satisfied”, “Little is Much”, and “I Bowed” raised the bar of quartet singing, album production on a pure SG album, and most old time quartet guys said it was the best quartet singing they’s ever heard. Glen Payne wasn’t the only one saying Terry was the greatest tenor ever. That GVB line-up seemed to have a better understanding of quartet singing history than any other line-up. Their harmonies swell, and their vocal licks work just like those of the Rambos and the Goodmans to play and rub against each other until the chord resolution. Terry and Mike blended better than any other tenor/lead combo I’ve ever heard. Sheer perfection the likes of which we will not see again.

#44 Great post, Jeff!

46. Kenny Bania wrote:

This thread’s gold, Jerry. Gold!

47. Auke wrote:

Great post Jeff…that’s the Michael i know and love too…great post!

Auke

48. Andy wrote:

Terry is a great tenor… but David Phelps is the reigning Tenor Champion of the World.

49. Andy wrote:

Terry… I was wondering… You have implied that Mark Lowry does not sing his part on recordings… is that true? I have heard Guy Penrod say the same thing.

50. Terry Franklin wrote:

Andy,

Mark is also a great singer.

51. Andy wrote:

Terry, I agree… You are an amazing singer. But you did not answer my question. I have heard Penrod say the same thing, and thought maybe it was a one time thing. Mark seems like he is used as a showman on stage. But a studio singer he will never be! You were missed at the GVB Reunion… was it a scheduling conflict?

52. Terry Franklin wrote:

Andy, The “also” was in reference to the earlier post re: Mike English. Lol. In answer to your question: Yes, a scheduling conflict. And yes, Mark sings some of his parts.

I think Mark Lowry has improved tremendously. When he first joined, I wasn’t keen on the idea and missed McSpadden.

By the time the Few Good Men project came along I liked their new sound. However, I feel like Lowry really improved with the I Do Believe project and even now he seems to have a fuller sound.

I really like him on the baritone part even if he has to have a “Gaither Vocal Band for dummies” CD to learn it. :-) I might even go so far as to say he is my favorite baritone they have had.

54. QwertyJuan wrote:

Terry Franklin… man… glad to see you’re still alive! ;)

Seriously… one of my favorite tenors of all time!!

One of my first ever SoGo “tapes” was Peace of the Rock, then shortly after I bought Southern Classics #2… I remember when Testify came out that you and Michael were gone, and I was not very happy about it! :)

From Terry Franklin…

“And yes, Mark sings some of his parts.”

Now that is funny and honest at the same time!!

56. Auke wrote:

i got the couriers unlimited album…thru a good friend…but i have no album titles or credits whatsoever who can get me these?