Robbing Peter to pay … Peter

More evidence that our thinking about intellectual property online and digital content provision hasn’t quite caught up with the complications and paradoxes of e-commerce:

People who illegally download music from the internet also spend more money on music than anyone else, according to a new study. The survey, published today, found that those who admit illegally downloading music spent an average of £77 a year on music – £33 more than those who claim that they never download music dishonestly.

The findings suggest that plans by the Secretary of State for Business, Peter Mandelson, to crack down on illegal downloaders by threatening to cut their internet connections with a “three strikes and you’re out” rule could harm the music industry by punishing its core customers.

The whole thing is here. I wonder if Gerald Wolfe as seen this.

Comments

1. Dan wrote:

In Gerald’s note that you referenced, he said this:”Once a recording ends up in the hands of someone who lives outside your household, it is an illegal copy and the person who made it, as well as the one who receives it, is stealing.”

But, on the “Live in Orlando” DVD he said that he “made a copy” of an old Goodman’s song and gave it to Jacob to listen to and learn the song.

According to his own rule of thumb, he broke the law. :-/

2. QwertyJuan wrote:

Gerald = PNWED! :D

3. dortie wrote:

In Gerald Wolfe’s defense he is one of the few in Gospel Music that actually pay’s an artist/writer royalties.

4. KDM wrote:

BaZINGa!!

5. GospelMusicFan wrote:

I wished I had commentator #1 doing opposition research during political campaign management days.

Gerald didn’t do anything wrong because Jacob lives on the Greater Vision’s household aka bus more than they all would like.

6. Dan wrote:

#5: I am not a huge fan of GV, nor do I feel he did wrong. Just sayin’

7. Extra Ink wrote:

I do not know Gerald Wolfe personally, but he strikes me as the real deal and and 1st class all the way. I’d like to sit down and have dinner with him some time.

8. Asking wrote:

The topic of Doug’s post is pretty much what I’ve been screaming for a long time. People who possibly don’t walk the proverbial straight line on copyrights probably also spend twice as much on music as the diehard, pew-jumpin’, Bible-thumpin’, radicals whose hair stands up at the mention of the word “download.”

That all is well and good, but imagine if a thief spends more money at Wal*mart than someone who doesn’t shoplift. Do you think that they wouldn’t get arrested if caught shoplifting?

Now, I disagree with the law as it is and think that the companies need to adjust, but I don’t condone a lot of the behaviors they are fighting either.

10. cdguy wrote:

#9 - quartet-man — I’d be interested to learn your objections to the current copyright infringement law. And using your own analogy, how can we justify stealing intellectual property over shoplifting something from WalMart?