Walking away

That’s more or less what the SN’s Kenneth Kirskey describes himself doing after getting his fill of fundamentalism’s legalistic self-indulgences. “The rest of us” (for those of you who remember that phrase from the early days) say welcome, Double K.

Comments

1. Charlie wrote:

Man,good for him I say.I hope that one day there may be another spiritual revolution like the one Martin Luthor lead against the established religious leadership.we need someone to turn everyones eyes back to the Saviour and his one message-Grace.I hate that it took Mr. Kirksey forty years to arrive at this decision however as a person who was raised in the pentecostal holiness I know only too well how hard it can be to make a break.The guilt factor that is instilled within you from an early age can imprison you and keep you bound to a religion you hate and one that makes you miserable.I finally forced myself to make a break from this oppressive lifestyle when at age 25 i got kicked out the choir for going bowling-not drinking,doing drugs or getting the church maidens pregnant-but going bowling for a friends birthday.I realized im a grown man and (1) i shouldnt let them treat me this way,it has nothing to do with God or his commandments and (2)I shouldnt go somewhere that even at my advanced age the only acceptable fri. night activity was Ping Pong and pizza at the church.and that was the best move i ever made lol.

2. Rick Hendrix wrote:

AMEN…good for him….As religion becomes more of a personal matter for each of us….it is so important to shed our grave clothes and walk into our true being.Some see spirituality as a belief in ideas of religious substance, but feel chained to the bureaucratic crap within organized religion. Religion is a VERY costly 5 star club…. with rules, structured settlements and environmental restrictions. Spirituality is a way of life…its your daily air….the voice within your OWN soul(not the deacon, pastor, church organization or association) Its the part of you that loves and helps your neighbor without fear of retribution. And lives life healthy and balanced for themselves and others around them. I thank God for men like Kenneth. They are examples to the truth and reality of a REAL christian life. A real giving heart and a true soldier for the spiritual cause….

3. RF wrote:

I always likes K. Having said that, he is right. There is more to being a christian than followin a set of rules some man laid out. So preach on, Brother. The path to Heaven depends on wether you are a Repulican or whether or not you believe a set rules as defined from a conservative viewpoint. That’s not faith nor is it the path to a meaningful life through Christ.

4. christy wrote:

Someone once told me that church was perfect until the people arrived.

5. Randy wrote:

I always said (and thought) that I would never leave the ______ Church, it would leave me instead. Wrong. It asked me to leave when I went too far out. The deciding question? When asked what the purpose of the church was, I replied “to glorify God”. The right answer was “win people to Christ”. No wonder I had to go…I’d had it wrong all along.

6. Janet B wrote:

**sigh** This story is all too familiar; how sad that so many have the same one.

7. Jonathan Sawrie wrote:

Congratulations Kenneth!

You’ve quite adequately put into words the emotions that accompany this sometimes “evolutionary” process of coming face to face with Grace; and the realization that it stands almost in direct opposition to the Americanized gospel of legalism. (Republicans = Pharisees)

Not only was I too old to put up with any longer, I had grown much too weary trying to fulfill its demands.

8. lcharles wrote:

Great. A last days church full of beer drinking, R-rated movie lovers, who openly promote evolution, feel justified in voting for Pro- Abortion canidates and then get mad when some folks don’t agree or want to “change with the times”.

Welcome to the Great Falling Away.

9. Brian wrote:

“Do you believe in Creation?” is the same question as “Do you believe in the Word of God?”

Well, do ya?

10. Brian wrote:

Here’s what God has to say about the “scientific evidence” for evolution:

1 Corinthians 2:4-5
    And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
    That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

v.13
    Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

11. Tom wrote:

Glad to see Kenneth finding a healthy church home. This seems to have been in the works awhile, given some of the book reviews he’s done for Singing News the last few years. God bless him.

Does anyone remember when (horror of horrors!) Kenneth was somehow allowed to write album reviews of Christian rock, and even metal, albums for Singing News in the 1980s?

12. Irishlad wrote:

35 years? took me about 35 minutes.