Open thread

I’ll have to be more or less away from the blogospheric side of life for the next week or so, so you know what that means: talk amongst yourselves. Some things to get us started.

• Reader BM thinks he’s spotted a trend:

It seems to me that it’s becoming popular these days to send out emails or post web articles soliciting money for new wheels for your group. Singing News covered the Legacy5 transmission repair fund a few months back, and Scott Fowler sent out an email blast more than once asking for people to give so they could raise $12,000 for a new transmission. More recently, the Toney Brothers have asked on their website for people to send in money, $20,000, so they can buy a used bus from a church. When did gospel groups stop budgeting for bus repair and replacement and expect us to ante up? It’s no different than churches who ask for a special offering to raise money for some sudden repair that is needed, such as a new roof. It seems to me, that is one is budgeting their weekly income properly, then maintenance and eventual replacement becomes a line item in the budget. Individuals don’t have the luxury of saying “Well shoot, I need a new engine. I want my friends to each give me 10 bucks”. Individuals are responsible for creating proper budgets that cover these costs. Why are gospel groups any different as of late?

• I’ll write more about this later, I promise, but right now my favorite album is easily the Tennesseans (the mid-century quartet, not the folks currently performing under that name), Golden Favorites. I’ve got a third-hand copy (LP to cassette to mp3) and the sound - just vocals and piano - still holds up astonishingly well, full and rich and so well formed. The “classic quartet” tradition is too often reflexively assumed to be always already good even when it’s mediocre at best, but this Tennesseans stuff … it’s gold, Jerry. Gold!

The floor is yours.

Comments

1. Dean Adkins wrote:

Re: Tennesseans LP
    One of the best renditions of “Workin’ on a Building”, especially when Dale Shelnut takes the lead on the chorus.
    Good stuff!

2. NonInsider wrote:

It was $1,200 dollars that L5 was trying to raise not 12,000… And it was for a legitimate cause IMO… And they were only asking for whatever people could possibly give… The Toney brothers… Well I won’t go there… But L5 is a class act through and through…

3. Terry Franklin wrote:

Anyone know who was in the group at that time? Dean?

4. Charlie Sexton wrote:

I started to question the accuracy of the first post, but then I realized it was made by Professor Adkins. - Sorry, Dean!

But, I really didn’t know that Dale sang with The Tennesseans…LOL

I understand about getting hit up for money, but sadly churches and groups have no guaranteed income. It can vary week by week and being at the mercy of people’s generosity or if that person decides not to give (maybe THEY have a need they never accounted for)makes budgeting tough. My church still does it as best we can. Living payceck to paycheck (in a sense, but even then the “paychecks” vary) makes putting money back difficult.

6. art wrote:

There are a couple of items I’d like to read about on this thread:

1. Seems to me that SG bass singers I’ve seen in concert don’t move their lips like a singer ought to. It looks like they don’t know the words, although I’ve seen this in such big name (for SG) groups that this can’t be right. What’s up with that?

2. Would somebody who knows please describe for me life on an SG bus? Groups in concert and posters here often refer to the closeness of quarters on the bus, but I’m curious about how people can deal with it over the long term. How do you pass the time? I read not too long ago about a group shopping for lunch at a convenience store. (How depressing!) Do you folks actually eat like that? How can you sleep on that thing? When a performance ends at 9 p.m., it seems like you folks must be at least an hour before you can get back on the road. Can you sleep then? You get the idea. Inquiring minds (who will never board one of those buses) want to know.

3. I just want to say here that I saw Brian Free and Assurance last weekend in Pontiac, Ill. They were awesome. Especially Brian on tenor and his lead singer brought to the stage a level of energy that I simply wasn’t expecting. One factor may have been that it was a somewhat younger crowd that night — at least younger than the crowds I usually see at SG performances. Anyway, I enjoyed them immensely.

I hope everyone has a great day.

7. John C wrote:

#3 . . .
    Tennesseans personnel at that time was Dale Shelnut, Noel Fox, Eddie Crook, Wally Laxon, and Dean Basham.

#4 . . .
    Dale recorded two albums with the Tennesseans. He replaced their original lead singer, Jimmy Vassar.

8. NG wrote:

#3 Terry: Dean can correct me if necessary but I believe the members of the Tennesseans at the time of the recording were: Dean Basham, tenor; Dale Shelnut, lead (later of Dixie Echoes); Wally Laxton, baritone (married Ginger Smith of the Speers); Noel Fox, bass (later of Harvesters and Oak Ridge Boys) and Eddie Crook, pianist (later of Segos and Happy Goodmans).

9. NG wrote:

See over on SGN news that Landy and Joy Gardner apparently have been forced to resign from Christ Church in Nashville over unspecified philosophical differences. Landy, as a music director, and Joy as soloist made the choir, which appeared with Gaither well known in SGM.

10. SM wrote:

#2 NonInsider, I hate to bring this up, but L5 was asking for $12,000. to get their transmission fixed. I don’t have a problem with the groups making their needs known, as long as they don’t play the guilt card. There are some people out there that are more than happy to contribute, and I say more power to them. There are also some people that are struggling to take care of themselves, and I don’t feel that they need to feel guilty because they can not afford to contribute. I felt that Scott handled it very well…also I feel he knew that there were people that would want to help. As far as the Toney Bros., I was not aware that they were asking for money to buy a bus, I don’t really follow them to much….

11. Matthew Moore wrote:

Art,

I ‘ve found the bus to be one of the best places to sleep. If you like being on the road, you have to learn to sleep anywhere. I have slept on the floorboard of a 15 passenger van. I bet if you talk to the pros out there today, they take naps on church pews, sitting in chairs, and about anywhere else you can imagine. You just get sleep where ever you can.

12. matt wrote:

Had the chance to hear the Mark Trammell Quartet…..a few thoughts about the concert….first off, I was impressed. I was there early because I wanted to chat with Mark a bit……they gave, despite being a quartet for only a month or so, a polished, smooth sounding performance. There was a well rounded blend of new MTQ material, hymns, some Cathedral songs and at least one Mark T. solo. The sound was well balanced, and sitting in the 4th row, it was done right. Mark T. did an awesome job as the MC. His sense of humour was the best part. I always wanted to hear him during the Cathedral days, and Danny/Mark rarely talked…. I was also impressed with their bass. Pat was comfortable on stage, and his voice is a good fit with the other 3….The MTQ had a great night with excellent song mix, blend, sound, vocals, stage presence. I would rate them easily as good as or better than L5…..the only complaint is the relatively poor attendance, but there was another concert in town, so that might explain it.

Wally and Ginger Laxon sang at a revival or campmeeting or something related to my church years ago. As I recall, they taught the congregation “Welcome to My Fathers House during one of them. I talked with Wally and he mentioned the Tennesseans, but that that time, I only knew about the Willie Wynn and variety I think. :) He said it was way before that.

14. AAA wrote:

#2 Noninsider, it was $12,000. Read it again. They were asking for 1200 people to give $10.

15. Tom wrote:

#7 and #8:

Correct spelling is Wally Laxson (http://app.nazarene.org/EvangelistProfiles/profile.jsp?personId=10845)

16. Dean Adkins wrote:

#8

Just slight correction….Wally Laxon was the tenor and Dean Bassham baritone.

17. Tom wrote:

New topic: Music print journalism

When Salem let CCM Magazine fold a couple years ago, some wondered if Singing News might be next. Apparently not yet.

But another Christian music publication is apparently on the line now. Probably not many southern gospel fans know or care, but HM magazine seems to be struggling to stay afloat (See http://www.hmmagazine.com/2010/03/the-campaign-to-save-hm/ ). Since CCM magazine disappeared, HM has been the only significant print magazine covering any niche of the Christian pop or rock market.

Perhaps HM will get enough donations to stay afloat, like Paste Magazine (which has roots in the Christian music field) was able to do last year. But if HM folds, the only major print journalism covering any category of Christian music (as far as I know) would be Singing News and Homecoming Magazine.

Anyone got any good explanations for this?

18. Casual Observer wrote:

Art - road life is not as bad as you might assume. Customized buses come with most all of the modern amenities you’d find at home. There’s a forward lounge which normally has a TV and stereo system along with sofas and/or club chairs. Then there’s a kitchen followed by a hallway lined with bunks stacked on either side. If a member wants some privacy or quiet time they can climb in their bunk and draw the curtain. Newer buses have individual TV’s in each bunk. They also have their own air controls and lights for reading. It’s like being in a coccoon. Often there’s a another lounge or master bedroom at the rear of the bus as well as a bathroom. Some even have showers. I’ve traveled for years like that.

Most guys wind down for a few hours after a concert - we used to have an ongoing game of Rook or Spades. Then they settle in for the night. Takes a while, but you learn to sleep while moving…as long as you have a driver who thinks ahead and avoids unnecessary breaking and sharp turning. I imagine groups occasionally eat at truck stops and convenience stores because those places can accommodate the larger vehicles in the parking lots. Few restaurants provide parking for trucks and buses. And, because most drivers try to keep stops to a minimum, members know that a gas stop is also a good time to run in and grab a snack.

19. Jake wrote:

Art (#6) — The buses used by most SG groups are nothing like passenger buses. Generally they have a front lounge with chairs and/or couches, a small kitchenette, bunks, a bathroom (sometimes with a shower) and there may even be a second small lounge in the back. The buses carry the group and their clothes, provide them a place to sleep, and their sound equipment and product are generally stored underneath in the cargo area. It’s cramped when you have 5-8 people on board for several days. When you are riding down the highway at 65 miles an hour nobody can just step outside for a breath of fresh air or to take a walk. As for meals, the tiny kitchenette is generally not adequate for cooking meals — and even if it was, unless one of the members also wants to be a part-time cook, it probably isn’t very practical. (Maybe some of the family groups do their own cooking? I don’t know.)

20. Soli Deo Gloria wrote:

Shouldn’t a group who is so lacking in resources that it must beg its”fans” for money be prayerfully considering whether its lack of resources is evidence that its members may be called to some other, more effective ministry?

And No. 5, your comparison of southern gosepl groups to the local church is flawed. The world needs the church. The world does not need another cookie-cutter quartet that can’t: (a) preach an accurate Gospel; (b) make a decent album; and (c) make their bus payment. Soli silver-eagle gloria? May it never be.

21. John wrote:

#2, It WAS $12,000. Not $1200.

Still think it was classy?

22. stephen wrote:

I am looking for copies of early 80s Gold City stuff. I would prefer CD, but I am not sure they were re-issued. However, maybe someone has converted them. The main two I am looking for are “I Think I’ll Read It Again” and “Sing With The Angels”. I used to have a tape of the latter, but that was years ago. Does anyone have any idea where I can get copies of these projects? I contacted GC, but they no longer carry these. Thanks!

23. joshua hunt wrote:

Are there much value in southern gospel books,I have several I might be interested in selling.I have “Above All” the bio of the Blackwood Brothers and others.

24. s.smith wrote:

#20
    I would really be interested to know why you continue to post on here, when you have nothing but negative thoughts about the industry. Why does every group have to be cookie cutter, not able to preach or make a decent album, or make their bus payment? With your attitude, we can only pray that will never be a “soli silvereagle gloria.”

25. SM wrote:

#23 I have sold several southern gospel books on Ebay, such as autobiographies or biographies about different groups. Just be sure to price them right, so that you won’t be giving them away. Ebay is a great source for southern gospel items.

26. NonInsider wrote:

Thanks for correcting my mistake… I should have done my homework… I do agree with SM however that Fowler went about it the right way… He asked people to give what they possibly could… If you could not give anything well that’s fine just keep on supporting and praying for the group… Like I said in my OP they are class acts through and through…

#20, I was comparing the financial needs of both, but the initial comparison was in the leading post about churches begging for money.

#22 Those two were never released on commercial CD. Many others were, but not those two.

29. LarryS wrote:

For what it’s worth, I was telling my wife just yesterday that sleeping in my bunk, rolling down the road is the BEST sleep I’ve EVER gotten in my entire life! Of course, it could’ve had something to do with the exhaust leak we had at the time… But it was AWESOME sleep. Close the door between the front lounge and bunks, pull my curtain - hallelujah, I’m out!

30. Soli Deo Gloria wrote:

No. 24-

“You can never be too gentle with the sheep, and never too harsh with the wolves.” Martin Luther

31. Just Thinking wrote:

#22 - Stephen, “I Think I’ll Read It Again” is on “The Very Best of Gold City” disc 1. I think I got mine on ebay.

32. Nashville Phil wrote:

#6 Art. I have found that sleeping on the bus is restful. However, living on the bus on a long tour is tough. I’ve heard it called a “Rolling Jail”…You got a bunk, a Toilet and a Dayroom with a TV…And, you can’t leave.

Sleeping as much as you can, cuts down on the boring ride. Plus, you’re rested enough to complete the “Honey Do” list when you finally get home.

33. Glenn wrote:

Even though this is probably too long for most to read, I wanted to choose this forum to comment about the posting concerning Kenneth Kirksey, Walking Away, posted March 18, Never have I been more moved by someone’s testimony. I am a 65 year old man, born of great Christian parents, who has lived my entire life based upon the principles and guidance that they gave me. I thank God every day for that. I also thank God every day that I don’t sit on the front pews of churches like those who rejected a great Christian person like Mr. Kirksey. I just wonder if any of you realize how many people you drive from the Church with those actions, which unlike he, will never return. I can tell you what it is, HYPOCRISY.

For those of you who delight in “chapter and verse” comments from the Bible, may I suggest the following:

“Ye hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying, This people honoreth me with their lips; But their heart is far from me. But in vain do they worship me, Teaching as their doctrines the precepts of men” (Matt. 15:7-9).

Thus, let us be warned, for the Great and Almighty Judge said that hypocrites will not go to heaven (Matt. 24:51)!

I am also convinced that no one sitting in the audiences at Southern Gospel concerts needs to hear Michael Booth, Tony Green, etc., etc., etc. to interpret the Bible for us and “lead us to the Lord”. Yes, we love the music. Yes we love the message. Yes we love the Lord. Yes we have left concerts having been moved and feeling more secure in our faith. In my opinion, it was not because of what they said, but because of what they sang.

I have no idea whether I will get to Heaven, even though I believe in it with all my heart. I just know that I have tried to live by what I was taught was important. I was talking with someone recently who said that “anything I do wrong, I immediately ask the Lord for forgiveness.” I have tried, even though not always successfully, to think first about what I do and hopefully don’t need forgiveness. I have loved my neighbor (even though they really were not my neighbors), and I have tried to help provide for those who were not born with the same opportunities with which I was. Probably the hardest thing for me is not to judge people (which I realize most of you think I am doing now), even though I don’t hold any prejudices about people based upon their race or for that matter, anything.

My Mother was the greatest Christian I have ever known, and she was very proud of the fact that she never “preached.” Her witness was that she felt everyone should see from the way that she lived her life that it was the way we all should live. I am convinced that when she entered Heaven, after 90 great years, she saw more “Faces” than you could hold in some of our largest Churches.

God bless you, Kenneth Kirksey and all that you have done in your service.

#31, I took it they were looking for the full albums and not the songs.

35. Pastor Doug wrote:

Glenn, your quote “I have no idea whether I will get to Heaven, even though I believe in it with all my heart.”

If I had no idea if I was going to heaven or not, would cause me to seek God and settle the matter once and for all. As far as believing in it (heaven), the Book of James tells us even the devil believes and trembles.

My theory is this; If a person gets in a right relationship with God, then if what they’re doing is sin, then God will convict them of it! They don’t need me to tell them. (although I have no problem doing that lol)

I pray that you find the assurance in knowing Christ.

36. Brian wrote:

Glenn, the Bible says in 1 John 5:13 “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life,”

I pray that God will give you that assurance. If you have trusted Christ as your Savior, you can KNOW you’re going to heaven!

37. David Grant wrote:

Bus life can be challenging, but it was fun. We had a great group of guys. We got along. We liked each other. I’m sure that helped. I loved sitting in the buddy seat just enjoying the scenery and keeping the driver company. We could have conversations for hours. We did not have a full-time driver. We did the driving ourselves. We would take three hour shifts while everyone else slept. We had an assigned job while on the road. One was in charge of stocking the bus with groceries for the trip. One was in charge of fueling at each fuel stop. One was in charge of cleaning each morning (or when it was needed). That is not to say everyone else didn’t clean up after themselves, but the carpets were swept each morning or when it was needed. I have been on many busses over the years. I think one thing that a lot of groups don’t think about is the appearance of the bus (inside and out). Think about how many people want to “see” the bus. It happened at almost every singing. It might be the Pastor’s kids or it might be the concert promotor. That bus was our home and office from Thursday until Sunday. You never know who will end up on board.

I have always said I rested better on the bus than anywhere. I long for a good long ride on a bus in my bunk with the curtain pulled closed, doors to the lounges closed, and cold air blowing. THE BEST SLEEP EVER!

We also used travel time to get a lot of business done. We rehearsed a lot. We prepared for newsletter mailings. I can’t begin to tell you how many address lables I have put on newsletters while riding down the road. Thousands. We made radio calls. I guess we tried to make the best use of travel time as we could.

We also watched movies and listened to a lot of Jerry Clower recordings. Good times. I really believe that spending time together in that setting can help a group’s chemistry and sound as much stage time. We were true brothers and could anticipate what each other was thinking. I wouldn’t trade those days for anything. But I sure do love being the best husband and daddy I can be now.

38. j-mo wrote:

I am trying to track down a song called “He’s Making Gold For The Kingdom” that was recorded at one point by The Heartland Boys (with Roy Tremble & George Amom Webster I believe). I can’t find it on Youtube or anywhere else. Any ideas where I could get my hands on any copy of this song?

39. wanderer wrote:

Everyone wants to lose weight, but eat as much as they want. Everyone wants to get to heaven, but wants to live any way they please. I’ll be glad when church gets to a point where it’s acceptable to watch porn in the church basement, gamble, have a couple of good stiff drinks before we sing, kiss a couple of the better looking women in the choir before they sing When I Survey and use a good couple of good curse words out loud if the service runs over more than 2 minutes. Then everyone can share in the joy of the Lord. (Sarcasm intended). I’m not a legalist by any means (at least by their standards), but it seems like people who will stand up for what’s right are becoming less and less. Actually come to think of it, my daughter’s Sunday School teacher told them one morning there was nothing wrong with gambling. I take my kids to Sunday School to try to teach them to stay away from vices, not encourage it!! I was incensed! I do not understand why everyone is telling Mr. Kierksey he did the right thing. I’m not perfect by any means. I have my temptations just like any other red blooded North American. I falter and do sinful things, but I try not to with God’s help.

40. Lenny wrote:

Tom (#17), good topic and very interesting point.

I was disappointed when CCM went down, but I still get the digital version. I’ll take what I can get, lol. But I’ve never heard of HM.

I still get Singing News too, and I hope it will stay afloat. But in the last few months, I have really enjoyed the Christian Voice magazine. It’s colorful, classy and I really like the variety. Third Day is on the March cover, and I just got my April issue with Guy Penrod on the cover.

41. SG_Obzerver wrote:

#39 Wanderer - I agree. I was troubled by all those who were patting him on the back for his decisions and mindset.

“For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.” 2 Tim 2:4

I do not rejoice in Kenneth’s “awakening”. It seems that past hurts have manifested itself by rebellion and the root of bitterness that the bible warns of has indeed taken root and sprung up. Shame on those who have hurt Mr. Kirksey but ultimately it’s how you react to those situations that matter individually to God.

#33, in case you don’t see what I posted there:

I don’t intend on taking a lot of time at the moment, but:

Human science can be faulty. What seems logical and true can be refuted and changed in the future as we learn and understand more. At one point science said the world was flat. I believe I will trust God on the issue of creation.

Grace is a wonderful thing. Without Christ’s sacrifice, we would all be doomed. However, it doesn’t negate the ten commandments or God’s laws. Grace makes up the difference.

Yes, there were / are people who confuse personal preferences / the way they were brought up with God’s laws. In those situations, we are free to do what we choose. However, we should still use some caution on things that can cause a brother to stumble. I would rather skip those if possible than to cause a brother to go to hell. Also, grace is not meant to give us carte blanche to keep doing what we want, it is to supplement our doing our best to live by His law and makes up the difference when as humans we fall short.

Even IF you agree with the above and don’t mean for people to take it as letting them do what they want, many people think of grace as a get out of hell free card. It is in the sense that Christ paid the price and we just need to REPENT and accept it, but bear in mind the repent part. That means to be sorry and not do it again OR if we eventually fall again, get up and try again. NOT do as we darn well please thinking we have a free pass. Yes, many how follow Christ and receive grace WANT to please Him, but there are others who are looking for loopholes who simply want to do what they want to do, but not go to hell OR simply want to justify to themselves and others what they are doing. It doesn’t work that way.

So, God gives us a way to have a relationship with Him without trying to earn our way to Heaven, following a set of rules we simply cannot keep the entirety of, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t to put effort in. Well so much for not taking long. :-)

43. NG wrote:

For those who might think it is impossible to sell a tremendous amount of gospel CDs in this secular age consider what Marvin Sapp has done.

Sapp’s “Here I Am” album debuted at no.2 on the Billboard 200 chart in the company of mainstream acts including Ludacris, Lady Antebellum and Raheem Devaughn.

With 76,000 copies moved in its first week of release, “Here I Am” is the highest charting Gospel album in the 54-year existence of the Billboard 200.

44. truckstopdinner wrote:

I have 2 kids under 5yrs. and travel full time on a bus without a nanny. It gets difficult, but when you get a routine down it just flows. We feel blessed to be together as a family. I do have a 30 day limit on the bus, then the natives begin to get restless. My kids adapt very well. When my daughter was 3, we pulled up to a walmart parking lot for the night, she looked out the window and said, “We’re Home!”

45. Sing It! wrote:

I believe He’s Making Gold for the Kingdom is a Sandy Knight tune. I think she is the writer. The group is called the Roy Knight Singers.

46. Dean Adkins wrote:

#38 J-Mo
    The Toney Brothers recorded that song a little while back (when Randy Crawford was with them). In fact it was on a CD entitled “Makin’ Gold.” You may want to contact them - they may still have some in stock.

47. Extra Ink wrote:

My problem with Christian Voice magazine, back when I was a subscriber, was that soloists & groups who advertised in the mag were put on their Top 100 chart, many of whom were pretty much unknown, with songs that were unknown nationally.. The mag’s “national” chart was skewed beyond belief. Ultimately, this distortion cost Christian Voice magazine my business.

48. Irishlad wrote:

#39..sounds great,i’d go along with all that,but kiss a couple of the better looking men in the choir?…i don’t think so.

49. smothers wrote:

I just saw on another message board that Aaron McCune is working at a hog farm??? WHAT!!!!!!!!!Why??

50. Henry Burt wrote:

Has anyone heard about a change with the Inspirations,I heard Dallas Rogers had left the group ?

51. Olan Witt wrote:

Art this may answer you bus question.

52. Me wrote:

FWIW…Dallas Rogers has stepped down from the Inspirations and will be replaced by Skyline Boys tenor, Jodi Hosterman.

53. Mayor wrote:

And Jodi Hosterman is the new Inspirations tenor.

54. Derek wrote:

Tenor Turnover! Gold City, Greater Vision, Inspirations…who’s next?

55. Bass in Texas wrote:

(#52) Dallas Rogers has never stayed with anyone very long.

56. Fact-finder wrote:

#42-

I agree that science can be faulty.. and your point on the flat earth is a good one, but not the way you intend it.

Many people, history & science books included, believe that people thought that the earth was flat during medieval times. Or even in Columbus’ time! That is incorrect. You can thank Washington Irving for that (The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus).

The Greek philosopher Aristotle (384-322 BC) argued in his writings that the Earth was spherical, because of the circular shadow it cast on the Moon, during a lunar eclipse.

I don’t think that ‘Science’ ever believed that the earth was flat, but we now think that they did due to false information now being spread as common knowledge. Ask anyone… they’ll say that Spain thought it was flat during Columbus’ day!

I believe the Bible mentions that it is round (Isaiah 40:22). But some may disagree.

I also believe the Bible is literal when it speaks about Creation. Especailly that it happened within 6 literal days! Everything needs to be on the earth to survive. Plants can’t survive without care from insects to help pollinate..

It’s just like I literally believe in the Biblical account of Jonah, even though many dismiss it as a story. Uh.. that would be calling Jesus a liar. (Matt. 12:40)

Personally, I think it’s sad that someone would believe in evolution over what the Bible says. But then again, I’m reminded that they’ll believe in biblical creation after death… along with all the other things the Bible says…. ;)

57. Andrew S. wrote:

#55- In the past few months, he seemed to have been having some voice problems. I remember David Ragan stating that he (David) actually had to sing tenor on some occasions.. Kinda puts a reason out there for his departure.

My random question– What happened to the Hayes Family? They, like many artists these days, seem to have disappeared.

58. gina wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dallas was having voice problems. I felt he was pushed alot. I saw them once when Martin had him singing “It’s Still the Blood”, and just wouldn’t let him stop. He kept telling him to ’sing it like you mean it’ and he encored the chorus so many times, I thought he was gonna cry! It was painful to watch. IMHO, he was the best thing to happen to the Inspirations in years and will be missed.

59. Charlie Sexton wrote:

As far as I know, The Hayes Family still travel and sing. I talked to Mrs. Lucy a while back and booked them in for my church’s Homecoming in September. She did allow that now that they have such a large crew of grandkids to think about, that they have curbed their Sunday evening bookings during the school months. If they accept a Sunday evening engagement, it is either close by their hometown, or they know that the kids won’t have to be in school the next day. I admire them for that.

60. cdguy wrote:

#57 - Andrew, according to The Hayes Family’s website, they’re still doing dates, 3-4/month.

61. cheeseburger wrote:

Dallas didn’t step down. Get your stories straight, people.

62. 2miles wrote:

#42…Thanks…I agree with you…I wrote quite a lengthy disertation but didn’t have the time to proofread and reword what I said…I just want to say I’m on your side…

63. Fries wrote:

Care to elaborate, Cheeseburger?

64. Andrew S. wrote:

#61- Sounds like the rest of the group didn’t know he’d left. It was awkward reading David Ragan’s status knowing that Dallas “wasn’t” with the group..

I suppose with this press releases about Rogers and the other about Kitson we learn exactly what tact and class are. I’ll stay classy for now.

65. cheeseburger wrote:

It’s all in the matter of who you talk to. Of course Dallas said he wants to spend time with his family. Isn’t that what he said the last few times he’s left a group?

#63 - no. but if he didn’t step down, then you can probably guess what really did happen.

Sometimes these gospel singers tend to get a little too big for their britches….

66. Fries wrote:

Someone said that Dallas had voice struggles. That has nothing to do with ego, Cheeseburger.

That said, Jodi left the Kingdom Heirs because of “voice strain” and so it’s a risk to bring him on board if that’s what sent Dallas packing.

67. Aaron Swain wrote:

#66: Keep in mind, though, that the Kingdom Heirs’ tenor part is consistently higher than what The Inspirations usually do.

68. Hopper38 wrote:

Not to mention that the Kingdom Heirs routinely perform 3 shows a day many times at Dollywood….

69. Fries wrote:

67, 68, both good points. Jodi is a great pick, IMO

70. Irishlad wrote:

how do these guys make a living when they are spending time with their families?..apart from working on hog farms.

71. gina wrote:

Andrew - Where did you read that the rest of the Inspirations didn’t know Dallas had left? David actually announced it on the facebook page and named the replacement. Do you mean his referring to Dallas ‘not showing up’ for the CD recording?

72. Andrew S. wrote:

#71- Yes, I am referring to the “waiting” for him to get to the studio. If he knew he was actually leaving, he possibly wouldn’t have mentioned it at all. What most likely happened was that they asked him to come in and sing the tenor part for the rest of the guys who were working on the cd.

73. gina wrote:

Andrew - Ok, I saw that message too but it was after he had announced Dallas was leaving. They had said he still planned to cut the vocals with them even though he had left and that Jodi would be learning the parts later. The next day, David posted that Dallas never showed up at the studio to record so they would have to wait for Jodi. You’re right though, it was “awkward” that it was posted he just never showed up. Oh, and David replied to a post there that obviously there is more to the situation than they can officially announce.?

74. JR wrote:

Slightly off topic here; I was listening to the 2 newer Gold City CDs, and that lead singer has a strong Southern/Country accent when he sings. Didn’t they used to train singers not to do that in the old days? I think some of those Guys should get voice lessons and learn to sing more proper. It would make for a more pleasing record.(To my ears anyway)

75. Andrew S. wrote:

#74- Some artists don’t do as the past greats did. I believe one of the Speer brothers visited a voice teacher everyday possible to better his voice. And I don’t believe he ended in legendary status because of his name or group association. That’s why a lot of the younger artists need to understand the importance of learning the proper way of singing.

76. texjoy777 wrote:

I really don’t see the problem with artists asking their fans and friends for help when they have a HUGE unavoidable expense. I think it all depends on the ARTIST’s outlook on it. If they were just “pan-handling” and trying to take advantage of their fans kindness, I would seriously question the group’s integrity. But, in the case of Legacy Five, I think Scott Fowler handled it as well as one possibly could. Those who didn’t want to give were not pressured to do so (by the way, if memory serves me, Fowler didn’t send out a bunch of emails asking for money- they MENTIONED it an e-letter and pointed to their blog if you wanted more info… big difference). Scott knew that there were people out there that would love to do anything the could to help the group. Personally, I think it strengthened the bond between artist and fan because they were able, in a way, to help Legacy Five stay on the road.(I can hear you laughing, Doug!) There are people out there that truly care, and Legacy Five knew that. #21, sorry to break it to ya, but Legacy Five will always be a class act :) God bless.