Your Christian Music Coming Out Round Up

Any of you who follow the CCM world have doubtless heard that Jennifer Knapp, who enjoyed some fame and achievement particularly about ten years ago in CCM (she won best new artist in the Dove Awards in 1999), recently confirmed on the record with Christianity Today what many folks had suspected for years: she’s gay.  Money quote:

It never occurred to me that I was in something that should be labeled as a “struggle.” The struggle I’ve had has been with the church, acknowledging me as a human being, trying to live the spiritual life that I’ve been called to, in whatever ramshackled, broken, frustrated way that I’ve always approached my faith. I still consider my hope to be a whole human being, to be a person of love and grace. So it’s difficult for me to say that I’ve struggled within myself, because I haven’t. I’ve struggled with other people. I’ve struggled with what that means in my own faith. I have struggled with how that perception of me will affect the way I feel about myself.

The whole thing is here. My take on the gay men/gospel music paradox is here. The Pioneer Local blog has a pretty exhaustive round up Christian  music coming out stuff here.

Comments

1. Jeff Finley wrote:

Thank you for the link to my What Do We Believe? blog post.

2. Randy wrote:

She also says in the interview that she isn’t equipped to debate it Biblically. Thus proving the lack of accoutability shown through negligence of the Word. If someone was questioning my lifestyle based on my claim to Christianity, I would hope to show that person through scripture where they were wrong. I would also hope to be seeking God’s word anyway, if I am walking the walk. JKnapp is an incredible talent, but a victim of circumstance. I believe if she is truly seeking God on every decision, it will show through her fruits. If not, who am I to be a final judge? But I will still carry a strong opinion based on The Word. A reprobate mind is a very scary thing to deal with.

3. David J. Stuart wrote:

I’ve heard her name many times, just not familiar with her music.

4. Joe wrote:

Randy- you are so, so right. The final arbiter is the Word of God. And everybody on here knows (or at least should) what the Word of God says on this matter.

Practicing a lifestyle of homosexuality, no matter who you are, is incompatible with being a Christian. Paul says it as clearly as he possibly can: “Don’t be fooled; these are the people who will not get to enjoy His kingdom.” (1 Cor. 6:9-10 ERV)

And if there is anyone, anywhere, claiming to be a “christian”, who “comes out and declares this sinful lifestyle publicly and proudly, you will probably read it here first.

5. A Friend Of A Friend wrote:

For years, there’s been comments about there being an over saturation of groups in the SG industry. Just think, if all the gays were to come off the road, those that aren’t gay might could make a go at a decent living. Of course, I guess that could go both ways (no pun intended).

6. KDM wrote:

I always thought this would make an interesting topic for debate: does a Christian artist’s music cease to carry the power to minister once that person comes out as gay? Let’s take Ray Boltz, for example. His music ministered to millions of people over the years. Now that he has come out, does that invalidate his music? Does the song that was so personally powerful to someone yesterday cease to be so because that person learned something about the author that they didn’t know before?

Thoughts?

7. Joshua Lester wrote:

Number 6, Yes. When I found out the James Clevland, The “King of Black Gospel” was gay, and that he infected his foster son with Aids, I got rid of his music. Always remember that, as Tye Tribbett said, if you listen to someone’s music that carries a wrong spirit, you might end up carrying the same spirit after listening to it.

8. MM wrote:

What??? James Cleveland was gay??? I learn something new every day. I had no idea.

9. Rick in SoGeorgia wrote:

I respectfully disagree with #7. I can see in the particular case he cites, where I wouldn’t want to hear any more of that artist. It is rather an extreme example, however.

I don’t believe songs such as “For Those Tears I Died”, “Serenaded By Angels,” or “Thank You.” lose their power to minister to people.

Moses was a murderer. Should we invalidate the ten commandments because he was (as we are all) flawed: in other words, a human being?

10. Joe wrote:

Rick-

Pardon me sir, but that was a poor analogy. Moses, in the heat of a moment, while defending one of his fellow-slaves, happened to cause the death of an Egyptian. Far different scenario, let us say, than the plotting, scheming, adulterizing death of Uriah, by king David.

God never punished Moses for that involuntary manslaughter. But because of David’s choice of sins, He took away from him, literally, 3 sons and one daughter. He paid dearly.

The sin under discussion in this thread is a choice. Scripture clearly states this. And sadly, those who choose this, will pay dearly. Maybe not in time, but they will eternally.

As amazingly unbelievable as this may sound, Scriptures say that Mr. Boltz will not even BE in Heaven, to say “thank you”. If there are any out there who find this a ridiculous statement, I would humbly refer you to carefully read Matthew 7:15-23 (especially verse 22), and Luke 13:23-28. These passages solemnly explain how such an incredible scenario could actually exist.

11. KDM wrote:

What about David? He was an adulterer who committed murder to try to hide his sin. Yet we have a huge collection of his songs and psalms canonized as scripture. I will grant you that David repented, and some of these folks who have come out recently have done everything BUT repent. But that doesn’t mean that their music is suddenly useless. Many people will continue to hear and be blessed by their songs, without ever knowing the background of the writer.

Besides, it’s not the authors who are blessing us with these songs; it’s God. These songs were written to the glory of God, and the songs continue to praise Him, even if the authors don’t. That’s how I feel about it, anyway.

12. SaraBeth wrote:

#7 Joshua Lester, it seems odd to me that you used a Tye Tribbett quote to make your point here, especially since his extramarital affairs have been well documented. By listening to him, are you carrying “spirit” of adultery?

13. Rick in SoGeorgia wrote:

My point was not “who was more guilty.” I meant that the human vessels God chooses to work with are all flawed to some degree or other, but He chooses to use us anyway.

Homosexuality is NOT a choice. I did not choose to be gay; and I believe I’m in the position to know this about my self.

I am well aware of what scripture says. And I know there is no room for me in the Kingdom. For some reason, I still love gospel music & have most of my life.

14. Joe wrote:

Rick-

I’m so sorry that you disagree with your Creator. He specifically says in Romans 1, through the hand of the Apostle Paul, that it definitely IS a choice.

As kindly as I can say this to you- you had better be practicing up on what you plan to say to Him when you stand before Him, and have to tell Him that He was wrong.

But hey- the very gospel music you have learned to love, carries with it the message of the saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, Who can and will forgive all sin, for all who trust Him. After all, some in the Corinthian assembly HAD BEEN homosexuals, until they were washed in the cleansing blood of the Savior (1 Cor. 6:11). I wil pray for you.

15. Tyler wrote:

Praying for you Rick…never forget that Jesus loves you, and that your Creator has the power to deliver.

We’re already gonna live forever. It’s our choice where.

16. Rick in SoGeorgia wrote:

#14-Joe & #15- Tyler: You are welcome to pray for me all you want. I repeat: it was never my choice to be gay.

I believe in God, but I am not a Christian. I’ve known way too many people who follow Christ, to have any desire to claim his name.

17. Lewis Wells wrote:

#14…Joe, I don’t disagree with you that God has strong opinions on the PRACTICE of homosexuality, which IS a choice.

While I do believe that some “experiment” with homosexual behaviors by choice, I also believe there are people born with hormones askew or with different wiring and struggle with the temptation of homosexuality all their lives, just like many of us struggle to control our heterosexual urges. To indulge in them is wrong in both cases.

God doesn’t judge us by the situations, circumstances, and predispositions we’re born with. He judges our response to them. I believe there’s a clear difference in people physically predisposed to be tempted by homosexuality and people who choose to engage in it.

18. wanderer wrote:

I agree. Homosexual feelings are not a choice. Acting on them is a choice. Just like if I had an urge to gamble, cheat on my wife. Those feelings wouldn’t be a choice. Acting on them is. Rick don’t let people who have not lived up to what they should be discourage you from following Christ. Remember, Christ was the only perfect person to walk the earth…not his followers. You are responsible for your actions, not the people down the street. We all come short of the glory of God. I sin on a daily basis. I try not to with God’s help, but I do. I have failed him many times. He has never failed me. I hope my life will never be a stumbling block to anyone coming to Christ, but somewhere along the way I have probably inadvertantly made someone think “He’s not so great. He claims to be a Christian, but looks at what he’s done or look at his attitude or something”. I pray this is not the case, but if I’m honest, it has probably happened.

19. Tyler wrote:

Rick, I have no doubt that you have experienced so-called “Christians” who didn’t act very Christ-like.

That has no bearing on the truth of God’s Word, or who Jesus really was. Just because there are bad examples everywhere doesn’t mean Christ isn’t God.

If you’re looking for a perfect “Christian” you won’t find one. You’ve got to follow Christ, not other “Christians.”

20. KDM wrote:

Rick, I’m so sorry you’ve had such negative experiences with Christians. I’ve had negative experiences with Christians, too, and I AM one. Even Gandhi said about Christianity “I like their Christ. I don’t like their Christian.” Every time I hear that quote, it makes me sad and ashamed, but I completely understand what he was saying.

There are a lot of judgmental, self-righteous ‘Christians’ in the world who love nothing more than to throw stones at other people. They expend a great deal of energy pointing out the failures and shortcomings of others, so that they don’t have to look at the condition of their own heart. That is not Christianity. By definition, a Christian is a follower of Christ, an emulator of His character, a practitioner of His teachings, a believer in His sacrifice and resurrection. Most importantly, it’s a real and daily relationship with Jesus Christ.

I know it’s hard, but don’t give up on Jesus. He hasn’t given up on you. And for every poor Christian in the world, there is a great and Godly person that truly shows the world the love of Christ. There IS a place in the Kingdom for you, Rick. Jesus said ‘Whosoever will, may come.” And whatever sin is in your life, Jesus can and will conquer it, if you give it over to Him. I know, because He’s done it for me.

Come to Jesus. He will never turn you away. He said so Himself.

21. KermitTheHermit wrote:

Can a dead horse get any dead’er?

22. Rick in SoGeorgia wrote:

Re:#21- Kermit, Amen!!

Kermit… I will second that AMEN by Rick!!

24. Tee wrote:

Who gives anyone here the right to judge? I say walk a mile in my shoes and see what ‘choices’ you have.
    Who composed ‘The Word’ you speak of? In my research, I find believers claiming that their version of the Bible is correct and other versions are incorrect.
    What do you do about a composition which is so contradictory? You fall back not on your God’s love but on your judgment. Jesus said “He who calls another a fool is a fool himself”. The religious leaders of Christ’s time judged him and ordered his execution. And so it is within many ‘churches’ today with regards to gays.
    Be free, live your own life.

#24, if you see someone in the road and about to get hit by a car, do you tell them? If you see a neighbor’s child about to steal, do you tell them that it is wrong and if they do, they will be punished? If you do so, are you being judgmental or are you warning them of the consequences of what they are doing by using the rules that have been established?

26. bob wrote:

Hey everyone, Why is there not one reference in the bible about Homosexuality being good, proper or natural or being represented in any kind of a recommended teaching? If God smiles upon it then why? I’d love to hear some of the happy boys explain that directly.