Dove Awards: Hello, Atlanta

Thanks to this commenter for flagging the Dove Awards’ move to Atlanta, at least for next year. Maybe permanently?

Meanwhile, the Tennesseean’s story describes a fairly grim corporate situation at the GMA: a staff of 18 reduced to three, relying heavily on volunteers, and a significant cutback to GMA week activities. None of this is exactly new news, mind you, but interesting all the same for those of who don’t pay super close attention to such things on a regular basis.

Comments

1. oldfan wrote:

One of the quotes in the article said, “Moving to Atlanta is a way to better embrace the black gospel community.” Some might say that over the past 35+ years, GMA has been shown to embrace both the black gospel community and CCM quite well, thank you very much.

How about going back to embracing sg? A 6-minute medley to honor the 100th anniversary of the founding of sg? Really!?!?!?!

2. Edie wrote:

Oy…the same old complaint. Here it is folks, if you want the GMA to embrace your music, then you have to embrace the GMA. JOIN…just like the black gospel community did. Nobody STOLE the GMA from southern gospel, they just joined so that their music would be represented.

The GMA represents its membership. They used to set up a booth at NQC to recruit members but were treated so poorly they had to stop doing that. They were even denied the chance to place an ad in the NQC program book!!! And yet southern gospel whines about not being represented.

3. cynical one wrote:

Edie — Were they denied the chance to advertise in the program, or denied a free ad?

4. David Bruce Murray wrote:

What percentage does Southern Gospel sell in the total Christian music market?

How much time was allotted for music performances on the telecast?

The GMA represents all of Christian music. It’s remarkable how often that has to be pointed out.

5. GC/EHSS/L5 fan wrote:

I used to complain about the whole SG/Doves thing like a good little SG fan. Then somebody asked me why I cared. That was 5 or 6 years ago and I still don’t have an answer for them…..

6. Edie wrote:

Cynical One, they were denied the chance to BUY an ad.

7. cynical one wrote:

Edie, It woud be interesting to know the circumstances. Did NQC just not want them in the book (if so, why were they allowed to exhibit — booth space is probably more visible than an ad), or were they late coming to the party? Or was it something else entirely? Any detail, or just scuttlebutt?

cynical is NEVER satisfied, always wants more…even take scuttlebutt if it can be found!!!

Give us the juicy details and a list of cosmetic surgery performers in SGM, GM, & GM ( gaither music )… any gaither gossip is worth 2x more to cynical.

9. Edie wrote:

Cynical One…NQC just didn’t want them in the book. I don’t know why they sold them booth space, but they did. GMA finally stopped buying the booth space when the people manning the booth started getting so harrassed and, on at least one occasion, cussed out by GMA-haters.

10. cynical one wrote:

Wade, I wish it were only my addiction to gossip, but I really think we’re only hearing one side of the story. I’m not going to ask any more about this issue, but I think there are half-truths here. Not that half-truths ever circulate around here. But there I go being cynical, again.

11. Edie wrote:

Cynical One, yes, you’re right…I do not know the NQC’s side of the story…I am just re-telling what a frustrated GMA employee once told me.

cynical brow beating came to bare fruit!!

13. cynical one wrote:

See, that’s one the problem with humans. We hear one side of a story, and run with it. We don’t know if GMA waited until past the deadline, or if NQC had already filled all the ad space, or if NQC really didn’t want to be associated with GMA, by having an ad in the program book. Of it could have been something else entirely.

I’m not trying to defend NQC. I’m just saying the frustrated GMA employee may not have told you everything. In fact, that employee may not have known the whole store.

We just need to be careful.