Welcome to the first week of August and the beginning of Avery’s Birthday Month. More thoughts on that closer to the actual blogday. In the meantime, some stuff that won’t generate a post of its own but might be worth mentioning.
- Three items for the gospel-immigration department: Chuck Peters reports this a.m. that the Freedom Singers’ bus exploded on the side of the road. The singers themselves are uninjured. They’ve posted a youtube clip of the van being reduced to a charred pulp. Meanwhile, Sweet Honey and the Rock has released a song that addresses itself to the immigration debate sparked by Arizona’s recent SB-1070. The song is streaming at the group’s facebook page. At the complete other end of the spectrum, Ray Stevens has weighed in on the immigration issue as well (via DBM).
- More recording oddities!
- I generally think that the excessive adoration of Danny Funderburk is more a product of his having been part of the Cathedrals than any objective enthusiasm for his singing, so what I’m about to say isn’t some blind fealty to the Cult of Danny. But if you want to know why so few people can recall Ernie Haase covering Funderburk’s signature tunes with the Cathedrals, just check this out. I cringed through the entire thing. (BTW thanks to Grigsby for posting the video as part of another discussion thread)
- Via DBM, Sonya Isaacs was on Jimmy Fallon’s show.
- From the “Gotta dance with them what brung you” file: Daniel Mount says that Dolly Parton will be awarded the James D. Vaughan Impact Award at the Singing News Fan Awards when the show debuts at Dollywood next month.
- Welcome Steve Eaton to the sg blogosphere.
- Via Burke, there’s a new Daystar show called Great American Gospel with Ed O’Neal.
Take it away …Email this Post