Thanksgiving open thread
Happy Thanksgiving. Here are a few items that didn’t rise to the level of their own post but might help seed some holiday discussion:
- Via reader DJ, a Christmas album recommendation: pianist Chris Dawson’s Stridin’ Through Christmas, a stride-style take on some xmas standards. iTunes has the teaser clips, of course, and here’s a fuller length clip of the artist covering Fats Waller’s “Handful of Keys.” Nothing that will shift the plate tectonics as far as Christmas music is concerned, but a pleasant, tasteful, nonshchlocky take on some standards all the same.
- Have you been asking all your friends and neighbors: do you have any idea when, where, and how I can see a rebroadcast of the 2005 Singing Fan Awards? I know! Me too! Well, dear readers, our wait is over.
- L5 is participating in the post-flood reopening of Opryland.
- Via DBM, an all-Amazing Grace internet radio station. Oh my bleedin’ ears. Can an all-Beulah Land station be far behind?
- Via Daniel Mount, Garry Jones is allegedly reviving what sounds like a Mercy’s Mark lite for some select dates and Jay Parrack is involved. And Jerry Goff is reuniting the Singing Goffs (if you’ve forgotten what they sounded like, this clip, starting around the 1′40″ mark, is a pretty decent reminder … Gerald Wolfe in his 20s imitating Goff in his 50s also turned out to be a pretty decent imitation of Wolfe himself in his 40s and also: someone should cover “Jesus Will Never Say No.” Seriously).
- Attendance at Dollywood’s southern gospel is up 40% year over year (h/t, L).
See you next week.Email this Post