Merry Christmas open thread

And so, a little Christmas music (sort of), via the Homecoming Friends: “Jesus, the Light of the World.” I had frankly forgotten about this tune until I heard it last week as part of the Gaither Christmas show. I think it first appeared on a Homecoming recording in the Joy to the World video (at least this is the earliest version I’ve found), but I prefer this later rendition from the South Africa Homecoming. The song goes somewhat to pieces at the end but involves some lovely moments along the way, and since that’s a fairly apt description of many family holiday gatherings, it seemed like the right choice:

From Avery and all the vacationing interns, a warm and restorative holiday to you and yours. See you next week.

Comments

Here are a few of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaxliheB7w (Jesse is a beast here starting at about 3:33).

Non Gaither, but great:

Skip to about 1:52. I especially love George’s low G (if memory serves) at the end too. :)

2. Robert York wrote:

See Bill has added Guy to his artist list for 2011. Too many people liked Guy for him to be left off the Homecoming Tour.

3. Janet B wrote:

We were at the Gaither HC in Independence, MO earlier this month…Michael & Russ sang the tar out of this song…wish I would’ve videoed it. Michael is back. Oh Hallelujah!!

BTW…I may be the only person on the planet that feels this way, but…not really thrilled to see Guy back in the “fold.” Haven’t missed him. At all.

Merry Christmas, ya’ll!!

4. matureman wrote:

“BTW…I may be the only person on the planet that feels this way….”

You probably are.

5. eric wrote:

Speaking of Guy and Christmas. I finally got Guy’s solo CD…as an early Christmas gift. I actually like the album, although it is a total departure from what he had done with GVB (soaring, screaming vocals, etc.).

The country format does fit Guy like a glove but, I couldn’t help but notice that every song is keyed toward the bottom end of his range with the background vocals singing the two parts above him, a la Brad Paisley.

In his latter years with the Vocal Band he had lost some of that sheen in his voice. I even remember him saying (in an interview) that all those years with Phelps’s high arrangements were tough on him.

I know age is a huge factor but, does anyone know if Penrod had vocal cord issues? He and English should get together and educate young singers on the dangers of Inner Angry Girl singing.

6. Alan wrote:

Janet B, I have to agree with matureman. I think you might be one of three people on the planet who shares that sentiment! But that’s okay…we all have our tastes. I personally believe that night in and night out, Penrod is the best lead singer ever to grace a Gospel song. A lot of it is both his range and his versatility. His pitch is dead on perfect, he’s a precise singer, (which can rarely be said about English) and every word he ever sang is perfectly legible. He’s a textbook study for how to sing lead. And tenor at times, and even baritone. Merry Christmas!

7. matureman wrote:

Merry Christmas and a blessed New year, Doug.

You have unselfishly given a lot of time and effort to this blog for a number of years. All of us who come here to enjoy some laughter and excellent writing about this music we love, owe you and the interns a great deal. Coming here is like visiting an old friend.

Thank you, my friend.

8. Irishlad wrote:

#1 Q-Man, i had to sit back and recover after watching just the 1st clip “Holy is Thy Name ” Legacy 5 wow…i’ll watch the rest later.Thanks a bunch :)

9. David J. Stuart wrote:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

#8 You’re welcome. I believe that that version is not only probably my favorite performance of the song, but of Legacy Five in general. I think I like it even better than “I Stand Redeemed”, but would have to compare them.

11. Nate Stainbrook wrote:

Irishlad same here,took a little bit to recover from that! WOW… Thanks Q-Man!

Merry Christmas everyone!

12. Linda Dillon wrote:

No Janet B, you’re not the only person who feels the way you do. You express my sentiments exactly!

13. irishlad wrote:

Have to agree with with JanetB and Linda, Guy’s delivery on cd is good,it’s watching him perform that unsettles me, like Daniel O’Donnell.

14. noninsider wrote:

10. It must take quite a bit to impress you… L5 has been on the road for 11 years since that video was made; and that is your favorite performance of theirs? :)

Irish Laddy… what is unsettling about watching him perform????

16. Irishlad wrote:

I’m going to gripe here;at the minute i’m looking at fb and a lot of my friends are Sg artists…and when one looks at their political preferences, to a man the Oaks included, they are all of a Republican leaning. Now i know all about right wing evangelical America but are there no Democrats in Sg or like gays are they hiding? I do know Hovie Lister was one(not a gay as far as i know,a Democrat).Anyone to the contrary?

#14 There are others I like for sure, however that one still holds a special place, I believe. Now, even though I think I have all of their CDs, I admittedly haven’t listened to all, so I guess there is till hope. :p

18. noninsider wrote:

17. Understood… :) Do you have their new table project? It is just simple instrumentation, and I feel some of the best blend they have ever had since they have been on the road… I would highly recommend that CD…

Irish Laddy… yes you are right but on the Hovie Lister thing… he would be consider a Blue Dog Dem for sure, because his REAL JOB he had with the State of Ga was politically appointed, so he kinda had to be a DEM. Believe me there are MANY DEMS or there would not have been as much bitching about the Sarah Palin thing at the NQC!!! AND HEY we KNOW Dr. DH is about as lib as ya can get!!! So there are many libs in SGM!!! Most just can’t say it cause it is bad for Bi’dness!!!

But what does that have to do with not liking TO SEE Guy do his thing on video or in concert!!!

Here’s some other food for thought I think you might like IL about the Gay Marriage Rights…

Larry King is on his 8th divorce, Elizabeth Taylor is possibly getting married for a 9th time, Britney Spears had a 55 hour marriage, Jesse James AND Tiger Woods, while married, were having sex with EVERYONE; …yet the idea of same-sex marriage is going to destroy the institution of marriage? Really? *REALLY?*

20. Kyle wrote:

Statistically speaking, 50% of all marriages end in divorce. I’m on my second, so that should increase my odds. Why should straights get all the agony???

#18, No i don’t. I’ll go on record as saying Gus is great and might be the best tenor they’ve had. Definitely one of the best.

22. noninsider wrote:

Q-man could not agree more about Gus… I just hope they use him properly… Like feature him more OFTEN!

23. Markp wrote:

Ah Yes! L5’s “Holy is Thy Name” performance. That specific performance of that song is quite possibly their best performance of any song in L5’s history!

24. irishlad wrote:

#15 Wade I think it’s those black piercing eyes along with the pent up aggression..you’d swear he was about to rip somebody’s head off : ) plus the big long arms stretching toward Heaven. Rather than pointing to God it’s more like ‘look at me look at me’ .If I’d arms that long I think I’d keep them down. There you go Wadey ..you’did ask.

25. eric wrote:

#24. He does seem pretty “intense” from the stage but, IMO, he sure does look sincere doing it…plus he’s a really nice dude.

26. Bryce wrote:

Where is Melton Campbell? Any news on a replacement?

27. irishlad wrote:

I know he’s nice, Eric..it’s probably just his way of claiming ownership of the stage.

28. Ron F wrote:

Hey Wade how about if we use the “Don’t ask Don’t tell” in SG Music. HA HA

29. Bryce wrote:

We know who:

I’d still be interested in knowing where Melton has gone.

30. copperhill wrote:

As a Michael English fan, I was never that enamored with Guy Penrod. Last month I went to a Jason Crabb concert and Guy was appearing with him on their Two Voices/One Message Tour. I came away with a greater appreciation for Penrod.

A word of caution: 95% of the songs he does in concert are from his solo CD. The only song he sang from the Gaither days was The Old Rugged Cross Made the Difference.

Further word of caution for those who go to concerts for the singing and not the talking–he does a lot of talking . . . a lot . . . setting up the songs.

31. Odeliya wrote:

@28 no lack of man boobs and effiminate cocky old male asses among SG singers, that’s for sure :)

Ok Irish One… I can go with that!! I can’t lie if I could sing like that I would want ppl to hear, guess that is why the Lords doesn’t give me the talent!!!

You are definitely showing a softer side Irish One… Who do you like??? and make it somebody we know. Because what you say about Guy could be said for any body singing on that big of a stage!!!! Bill does not take ppl who suck on the Road Show!!!

Ron I am with ya on that… I never asked, I never really cared, they are among the most talented, best prepared talent on the stage!!!

I’ve seen SGM Performers who are gay as techno music at a disco lead services where ppl were saved and lives were changed. Not by any means because he is the only one but the most outted and well know: But I’ve heard SGM Icon George Younce say many times the song he had seen move the MOST people in his many years of travels was Kirk Talley’s… I KNOW A MAN WHO CAN!!!

Believe me George knew Kirk was gay when he said those things!!!

If you don’t think Kirk loves the Lord you are JUST WRONG!!!

33. pj wrote:

I went to a Jason Crabb/Guy Penrod concert in October. I think it may have been the first stop on their joint tour. And, yes, Guy talked a LOT! I must admit I felt like I was being preached at, over and over and over.
    Irishlad you said “pent up aggression..you’d swear he was about to rip somebody’s head off,” I felt that aggression and an anger … won’t be going to a Guy Penrod concert again anytime soon. Now Jason on the other hand was great!

34. Irishlad wrote:

#32 Wade,who do i like? well i have to be with pj on that one; Jason Crabb for one.

35. Irishlad wrote:

Just came across an excellent qt from Arkansas called CrossPoint,boy are they good.One song on their web page was enough to convert me “When God Ran” listen to the quality.They’ve a cracking bass too!Adam Robbins

36. Ken wrote:

Irishlad, if you visit the Gospel Music Today page on Facebook, scroll down and you’ll find a clip of CrossPoint singing a great song written by Lisa Williamson of The Williamsons, from Oklahoma.
    www.facebook.com/gospelmusictoday

37. Irishlad wrote:

#36 Thanks for that Ken,you can tell that any bass who crooks his finger round the top of his mic is a JD fanatic. :)

38. Irishlad wrote:

First class, first rate, great, like wow, marvelous, best thing since sliced bread, best thing since Gold City could sing really well,..who what when where why?..Answer CrossPoint. Last time i got this excited was when Claude Hopper took the lead on “Oh it thrills me” ;)

39. matt wrote:

Finally got around to putting some of my old records on my ipod. The Singing Americans Live and Alive for example. What a great sounding group. Despite the occasional crackle, the ol’ LP still sounds pretty good. They had a tight band, good song selection…..and take another listen to a young Rick Strickland. Very nice.
    And of course the Kingsmen Better in Person. Despite their ‘3 chords and a cloud of dust’ image, what a thrill listening to that album. Even Gary Sheppard was in fine form…..oh, the memories. I miss the SG music of the 80’s.
    Happy new year!

40. Enjoying Life wrote:

To the Guy Penrod comments - what a variety! I had Guy at my church this past April. I’m not going to talk finances, but he came for a lot less than what I thought he would. Our church was prepared for 480 people and we put 620 in there! Yes, he did talk a lot but it was all great! Yes, he preached and preached at us - I and everyone else there thought nothing more about it. He is a great guy (no pun intended). When he got to the church he helped the crew unload all of the sound equipment. At lunch he “entertained” my five year old. They even sang Jesus and John Wayne together while no one else was around. He took him out on the bus and he really made our son feel important. He is so down to earth and what you see is what you get! I’m glad he will be back on the tour.

41. noninsider wrote:

Irishlad… I have to say that I agree. Crosspoint is one of those groups that just seem to have “it”. I hope we hear more from them in the future…

42. Irishlad wrote:

I listen to Live365.com quite a bit because there’s plenty of Sg stations to choose from.Now one in particular would be All Quartet Radio because there’s no talking ,just a guy at the end of the song telling you who did the singing…i like that because it becomes an interesting guessing game especially when you like the song don’t know the group or maybe think you do but aren’t sure but know you’ll find out at the end. Now i was listening to a group singing “The New Jerusalem Way” and my mind went back to the Blackwoods with London Parris early 70’s singing the bass lead,you know when he sings the line then drops it an octave at the end.Well this qt (i couldn’t figure out who they were)were doing the same arrangement, only badly.I was thinking regional, the tenor not bad the bass doing his best,that type of thing.Then when the train finally de-railed itself the announcer proclaimed Legacy 5..i was taken aback to say the least.

43. noninsider wrote:

42. Was that L5’s A Cappella version? I have to say that I agree, they used to have Glenn try to do things that he just was not capable of… Its amazing how far he has come in the six years since that recording; Lately L5 has started playing more to his strengths. Frank Seamans was the tenor on that particular song and once again that was not a great display of his strengths…

44. irishlad wrote:

#43 good point..i first noticed the apparent weak link in Glenn’s voice when L5 performed the vocally challenging ‘ I’ve been changed ‘at the 2008 NQC. It’s probably unfair to call it a weakness for that song would have challenged any bass singer.The song demands such a wide range in the bass lead that finding the right key to pitch it in is vital and in this case I think too much was asked of Glenn .