And you think I’m harsh …

Via Avery’s old friend NG, music criticism in a poem, from the Oxford American. The poet takes on the voice of God responding to Ricky Skaggs’ recent gospel album. The poem begins:

No more light strumming of your mandolin
and the whispered tone and the sap-
happy featherweight songs in my honor.

Ricky no more treacly bullshit,  I actually
rose up from the dead. Do you understand
what that means exactly.

More of the poem is quoted here.

Comments

1. Irishlad wrote:

Hahaha…but if God was speaking in Hebrew or Arabic should it not have been “no more bull-shiite?”

2. Rev. Al wrote:

Have not heard any of the music the “poet” is responding to - but Ricky Skaggs has always done sweet music - “Mom and Daddy Thanks Again” and “Somebody’s Prayin” are a couple that come to mind. Sounds like Jesus does not like gospel music more than his dislike for Ricky Skaggs latest release.

3. Rev. Edward Robinson wrote:

I write this message, not because I’m a minister. I write this message not because I’ve heard Ricky Skaggs’ latest recording. I haven’t. I have actually heard very little of his music over the years, be it country or bluegrass or gospel. What little I have heard, I liked. But that is not the issue. I do write this message because solely by God’s grace, I am His child. And the issue is that I am totally sickened by this “poem” being posted and treated as if it were some literary classic or thought-provoking statement. If I read it correctly (and I believe that I do), profanity is being put in the mouth of God. It’s not an issue of artistic license. It’s not an issue of a “deeper point” being made. It is an issue of the person of God being treated in a very flippant and sickening way. I originally started checking this website regarding reviews of personnel changes, set lists, quartet news, etc. But after this post, my days of participating in this website are over. If this is a sign of what is going on in our culture and society, may God help us.

4. Irishlad wrote:

#3 Get a life. If the God of the Old Testament whom you so obviously revere could so “flippantly” wipe out innocent children not to mention be responsible for countless other atrocities then is having the Almighty uttering a fairly innocuous curse word such a heinous sin? I would doubt the authors of the OT would have a problem with that one. I’m sure the 17th century censors left a lot more than that out.

5. Samuel wrote:

#4 The Old Testament is part of the Bible, and therefore is revered. Jesus didn’t come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it. He raised the bar for us to act better and to be better inside than the Law. Therefore, there is a verse in the Bible that says “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord.” Therefore, this poem is definately questionable. Wasn’t there also a story about the mote and the beam. In my opinion, this writer should read his Bible and not judge. At least that’s what I got out of the poem.

6. cynical one wrote:

And I’d take Irishlad’s comment one step further. KJV makes comparisons to feces several times:

2 Kings 9:37 And the carcase of Jezebel shall be as dung upon the face of the field…

Job 20:7 Yet he shall perish for ever like his own dung…

Psalms 83:10 … they became as dung for the earth.

•Jeremiah 8:2 … they shall be for dung upon the face of the earth.

•Jeremiah 25:33 … they shall be dung upon the ground.

•Isaiah 36:12 … that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

Philippians 3:8 … do count them but dung, that I may win Christ…

There are more, but you get the point: the author’s reference may not be as irreverant as we might first think.

7. Odeliya wrote:

Mr. Edward Robinson @ 3 It’s the third time since last year you claim you’d leave for good and, evidenty, lie. Dont you know what the Bible says about the “lying tongue”? ;)

How can I make it as gentle as possible… Dont embarrass yourself,dear. You are really a rev. or a selfproclaimed one? If a real one, God help us,for they let anybody into this business now. If you have actually studied the Scriptures as Rev. should, you’d have at least rudimentary knowledge of ancient aramaic, and Biblical Hebrew. You clearly have no idea what “swearing” actually means, never read the Tanach, and will probably be very surprised to know that it doesnt mean “profanity”. There are words that are translated as shit, piss, whore, slut, in Numbers,
    1Samuel,Genesis and Luke to name a few. Do you know the difference between what the word means (what the meaning of “dumb ass” in 2 Peter, etc. doesnt have a profane meaning) and how the word sounds (what’s a “Shittim” tree and how was it used by Noah ?)

Homework for you, my darling, considering you are leaving -and you are, right? - STUDY.THE. BIBLE, especially before you grant yourself the fancy title reverend while your knowledge leaves much to be desired.

Not using profanity is a great idea, nobody objects to that, if that helps you keep yourself in check, obey it! But your total lack of any theological knowledge and laughable arguments are poor even for a Bible student, let alone a rev. Until you educate yourself , call yourself Ed, whats wrong with little humbleness?:)

8. Mixer wrote:

I’m with the Rev on this one. There’s no need for that language in any context. There are obviously other appropriate words that can be used instead. Using that kind of language by anyone is a sign of laziness.

Colossians 3:8 ….rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice,slander, and filthy language from your lips.

9. Hector Luna wrote:

Even in the NT, “I consider them RUBBISH that I may gain Christ” Phil. 3:8. rubbish was a dirty word in Paul’s day. The only question to be made is this indeed a God-inspired poet?

10. Hector Luna wrote:

#6 sorry cynical one. just now noticed your Philippians reference.

11. irishlad wrote:

#7 Odeliya of the ultimate British style stiff upper lip put down.Wonderful…and Mixer, I believe that’s exactly what you’re doing…mixing.

12. art wrote:

I often wonder how the words “manure” and “sexual intercourse” remained acceptable while various synonyms are considered to be varying levels of vulgarity. But, as with matters of faith, it doesn’t matter whether I understand it and it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t make sense. It just is.

My choice after I matured into my 50s has been not to offend gratuitously. I don’t think Avery goes there, but then again, I try to be hard to offend.

Also, you could consider it profane to presume to put words into God’s mouth as this poem does.

None of this has much to do with SG, but as I said in another post, we seem to have exhausted all the SG topics. Maybe this thread will kill some time until we get back to all those fascinating personnel changes.

13. cdguy wrote:

#12 - art — It only has to do with sgm, as the poem was referring to Ricky Skaggs’ newest gospelish cd.

14. Odeliya wrote:

Thanks , Irishlad ;)

@12 art, yeah, I’s agree,that is slightly tacky, but acting as God’s own mouthpiece is a new fad of the day in US, as I can witness. Its pretty hilarious! Esp. chruches billboards pushing their own political/relig agendas: “Don’t wait for 6 strong men to take you to church.God.”
    “Democrats, I dont trust you. God.”
    or deliciously idiotic, like:
    “What part of “Thou shall not kill dont you understand? God.” (smart youth’d write an laundry list reply with a magic marker: Deut 17:12,Leviticus 20:13 , etc..)

So we can issue poem’s author artistic license on this.He is also a carpenter, so there is something that he and Yeshua have in common, unlike many terminally religious pastors :)

15. johnny wrote:

Going along with your topic, You think you’re harsh, check this guy out. He generally blogs about contemporary Christian music but found his way into the southern gospel circle. I remember him writing about ehss before too.