Merry Christmas open thread

And a happy new year, dear readers. As we celebrate our 8th holiday season together, it’s probably not a bad time to reflect on the generosity and loyalty that so many of you have shown, not to me so much (’cause that’s not necessary or expected) but to the idea and practice of a more or less freewheeling community of conversation about a common cultural interest. As the demands on my time and patterns of posting have waxed and waned over the years, it’s been gratifying to see the community sustain itself beyond and in between my words. So, thank you, and Merry Christmas. See you in 2012.

PS: For those of you who haven’t gotten enough talk about (mediocre) Christmas music, here’s a reflection on the cockroach-like indestructibility of the Christmas carol. And for those of you who’d rather skip the pendanticism and go straight to a youtube mashup video of dogs and cats singing Christmas music, here ya go:

Comments

1. irishlad wrote:

A Merry Christmas and Season’s Greetings to each and every one of you and folks,don’t forget the real meaning of Christmas…it’s Santa’s birthday ;)

2. BigC wrote:

The Gardener does a review on Ernie Haase &SS’s Tribute to the Cathedrals. BTW, it would be a nice stocking stuffer.

3. irishlad wrote:

Often wondered what ygg sounded like ,i see she even got the last note in :) Merry Xmas ygg.

4. Sam wrote:

merry christmas fr lawrence gaither i mean welk

5. CVH wrote:

Merry Christmas, all! Doug, great article in Slate. Since we’re sharing clips, here’s one of my holiday favorites:

ygg, you know, i like you. And that’s not just the eggnog talking. irishlad, take care my friend. Wade, have fun with your yule log. ode, pacis quod bona vobis.

6. Ode wrote:

Appreciate the wish, CVH, may it reach God’s ear. By vobis I presume you mean all of us. But “Si vis pacem, para bellum” is sadly still the motto as of today… But as one of ours, a badass rebel and pastor’s kid Judah Maccabee said “It’s not the size of our army … it’s the strength of our faith.”
    ****
    My love and Merry Christmas&Happy New Year to all brothers and sisters here–if we agree often, sometimes, or never do.
    Jesus Christ and unworthy to be in His company myself are the only two celebrators of Hanukkah here, His is documented in the Bible, mine on a cellphone camera. So, to keep the fun going, Happy Hanukkah to us! Song about Mexico in SGardner’s link reminded me of the great Tom Lehrer’s ;)

Care to post the link to Slate article? Love good ol Doug’s writing.

7. CVH wrote:

Ode, to you and to all of us. One can hope.

The Slate article I was referencing is something Doug mentioned in his post (2nd paragraph under the PS). He didn’t write it but it’s a good piece.

Blessings…

8. Ode wrote:

oh, never mind. Link is in the Open post PS - must have been added later-and its not Doug’s, but its still very interesting.

9. irishlad wrote:

5 Ha that was good CVH..Calvin Newton & Jake Hess in the one clip.:)

10. irishlad wrote:

4 Re: Lawrence Welk reminds me that Larry Hooper was a very fine bass singer.

11. cynical one wrote:

#4 - Sam — That reminds me of some sgm pianists we know and love.

12. irishlad wrote:

Having a listen to the Gospel Road on Family Life Ministries CVH.. plug plug :)

13. CVH wrote:

irishlad…bless you:)

14. Sensible wrote:

So - Since there’s nothing going on around here, I thought I would propose a couple of questions. 1) What does Southern Gospel need in today’s market? (more artists, less artists, better artists, better songs, better CDs, more or less independent artists, better record companies, etc.) 2) What do current artists and up & coming artist need in order to thrive in the industry? (management, better product, better CDs, better songs, better venues, etc.)

I was just wondering what the opinions are of the insiders and the outsiders just for discussion purposes.

15. Just Wondering wrote:

One thing that bugs me is Promoters who don’t pay the artist after a concert. Just heard about another one this morning who didn’t pay the artist. This promoter also sings and has a group. What do you think about people like this?

16. cynical one wrote:

I think we need artists with a business plan. It appears we just expect everyone to come clammoring for our music, whether we’re any good or not. We expect promoters to promote and pay. “If we sing it, they will come” hasn’t been working for morst artists.

Labels to promote concert tours, like secular labels do. They expect the artist to be smart enough to do it on their own. And we see how that’s been working.

We don’t need more artists. We need artists who are in it for the long haul, and are willing to tour consistantly.

17. irishlad wrote:

Sensible..Sg will never ever die, not when you have the likes of Tim Duncan and his pals,Ryan Seaton and his pals plus all the great girls out there! Stop the worrying.
    15 JW Ans. W**kers.