The Homecoming Bible

Via AbsolutelyGospel, I see that a Gaither Homecoming Bible is now available for $44.99:

As general editors, the Gaithers drew from their years of Bible study, gospel songwriting and strong faith to create this legacy project that is sure to be treasured by believers and all who love to sing their faith for generations to come. With the trusted and beloved New King James text as their guide, the Gaithers worked closely with 60 friends and Homecoming artists to select the 75 hymns and gospel songs that will be interspersed throughout the text. These hymns and songs are given new life and meaning through articles and stories that fully describe their connection to Scripture. In total, 230 exclusive devotionals were penned by Homecoming artists along with 20 original poems by Gloria Gaither. A custom Gaither Homecoming Bible reading plan has also been crafted which will guide readers on a Homecoming journey through the scriptures.

Up next: the Homecoming Bible on Tape … each book of the Holy Word read by a different Homecoming Friend (h/t, KC). Cynthia Clawson reads Obadiah … Russ Taff reads all the red-lettered words of Christ … Cody Logan Smith reads Revelation in the voice of Vestal … and much much more! Collect them all! Call now!!

Comments

1. David Bruce Murray wrote:

Not to be outdone, there’s also a new Singing News bible advertised in the June issue.

The KJV-only crowd will be happy to note that it is KJV.

2. NG wrote:

David: Is it true that in the Singing News Bible that the words of Jerry Kirksey are printed in red and that there is a ballot at the back allowing one to vote for their favorite disciple?

3. David Bruce Murray wrote:

When I worked in Christian retail, several new bibles were released every year with themes ranging from the obvious (various study bibles, age specific bibles, etc.) to the utterly ridiculous (like Rappin’ With Jesus).

There was even an expensive bible filled with Thomas Kinkade artwork being offered at one point.

Having seen all that, I’m not really shocked at all to see these two added to the mix.

4. CVH wrote:

I’m with DBM; I’m surprised it took this long. Personally, I’d like to see what Seth MacFarlane could do with a “Family Guy” study Bible. Actually any of us could publish our own ‘vanity’ Bible; the KJV is in the public domain and all it would cost would be self-publishing, marketing and distribution. I see the Wade Authorized Edition just around the corner.

5. cynical one wrote:

What we need is not a new Bible. We need people to read the Bibles they already own. imho

6. Brett wrote:

How about a gay Bible next.

7. Ode wrote:

6, I presume you are gay, considering that’s the Bible you desire- so what’s stopping you, brother Brett? CVH explained the logistics. Put the God given sign of the covenant from Genesis 9 12 on the cover, you got you homosexual themed Bible! Red Cover Hymnal and Rainbow Cover Bible, simple and elegant. Or are you just parodying SGnews crooked ways to part naïve fans with their money, you spoofter? :)

Is this post a sign we can open up again??!?!

I’ve been holding back a few weeks cause I know Dr. DH is wanting to keep this a little more high brow because of new traffic coming as a result of his book coming out!! He has been keeping us busy with many new threads.

This thread just has funny all over it but I’m still trying to be nice!!

Have ya noticed too he dares not drop a OPEN thread on us!?!?! lolol;-))

9. BackwoodsPhilosopher wrote:

I have never been comfortable with these “expanded” versions of the Bible. I am always reminded of this particular warning in Revelation 22:18 (KJV)……

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

…………..

The Bible is a Holy Book…..the Holy Scriptures…….given to us by the Lord. The Old and the New Testament stands alone and needs no help from Gaither, Jimmy Swaggart or Thomas Kincade.

It needs no help from theologians who have a knack for translating and/or misinterpreting the Hebrew and the Greek into versions that don’t remotely resemble anything that would sound like the Holy Scriptures.

The Bible stands alone and needs no assistance. In my personal opinion, I find this new Gaither project rather distasteful and unnecessary……talk about “over the top”.

…..and Jesus became angry about the moneychangers in the Temple……… Wonder what the Lord thinks about what is going on today? Mass-market Christianity gone wild. I’ve posted this before, but it bears a repeat:

10. BackwoodsPhilosopher wrote:

Okay…..regarding my comment on #9.

I found the link below on the Thomas Nelson website, the company who is publishing the new Gaither Homecoming Bible.

I would highly encourage you to go to the link below and click on the video to the right. It’s Bill and Gloria being interviewed by Andy Andrews.

Gloria has always been a very articulate person and a great writer; but, something isn’t right about this interview. She and Bill are literally babbling about this new “Bible project”…..we learn on the video that the Homecoming Bible wasn’t their idea.

It sounds as though they got in over their heads on this one…….they both sound like two New Age babbling guests on Oprah. I think they need to stick to videos and songwriting……after hearing this. They ramble on and on and basically say nothing.

I am so sick of gimmicky religion. Excuse me, I need an Alka Seltzer.

11. Brett wrote:

I am being sarcastic.

12. irishlad wrote:

Being a so called “Red Letterer” my self..i go with Russ…oh wait, maybe not i just remembered he’s a bit of a Palestinian sympathizer i believe. :-/

13. ode wrote:

11,
    Sure,so was Doug, cvh, wade, ng and I. To an honest Christian there is no such thing as heterosexual bible, homosexual bible, gaither’s homecoming bible or ,valentine’s day bible. It’s all a marketing ploy to sell pricey crap to spiritually immature, but impressionable flaccid brains, while simultaneously striking their huge egos that they mistaken for “Christian righteousness”.

12,
    :D God heard our prayers ! Hope he loves ‘em enuff to relocate some of the thugs to his neighborhood. See, nobody in Middl.East -neither Jordan, Egypt, Syria, no Lebanon- wants those generational welfare bums, who perfected no other profession but terrorism and democratically elected a terror group Hamas. If the kind fool Russ Taff really means it, I’ll send some nice chunk money to help that ambitious boy.

( Iladdie just accidentally pushed one of my buttons :D )

14. irishlad wrote:

I always know how to push your button Ode. ;)