Just Sing: “It Is Well”

Via the winds of Mount Listmore blows in a video of the Sisters Ruppe staging a vocal transfiguration of “It is Well” at Stephen Hill’s funeral.

With no disrespect intended to the departed, it’s really too bad that these days it seems like a funeral is often just about the only place you can reliably go for musically enlivening southern gospel.

Comments

1. CVH wrote:

Absolutely beautiful.

2. RF wrote:

Simply the truth. Sg has become the wasteland that pop, ccm , and county is. Sad.

3. Joe wrote:

Incredible. Fantastic. Breath-taking. Amazing. Doug is right- they “transfigured” this song. And…they included the verse containing perhaps the finest 4 lines in all of hymnology. “My sin-O the bliss of this glorious thought; my sin-not in part, but the whole, is nailed to His cross, and I bear it no more…Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord- O, my soul!”

For any who may not know the story of how this song was written, it is one of the most touching stories of any Christian hymn. Please research its history.

Thanks for posting this. It brought tears. Not sure if I have ever heard it done quite so well.

4. Samuel A. Mensah wrote:

I Believe Stephen is one of the best Gospel singers I ever listened to. I still remember in one of the Gaither video series, when he did “lead me to the Rock” May God bless his family and keep Steve in perfect peace

5. Onesmus wrote:

Bless his soul, he surely blessed ours with “lead me to the rock” and other songs, he was and still is my favourite homecoming artist

6. Naomi Dickey wrote:

Never in my 80 years here on this earth has there been anyone who has moved and blessed me with their voice and song -
    Steven Hill is among the greatest and deserves the highest praise and I know our Lord is enjoying Stevens mucic right now.
    Thank you for Blessing me while you were here.
    May God rain showers of Blessings on his family.

7. nancy wilson wrote:

i just don’t know how to tell you how much i miss Stephen Hill. i lisened to him on the Gaithers and God blessed me with the most beautiful voice. His songs changed my life. God bless his family and thanks for sharing Stephen with us. i could write in this space for ever and not fill it up with praise. thank you for sharing ………God Bless