Notes on tracks and risk in live music

So, reading this tribute to hecklers and the comedians who know how to handle them, I was drawn to this passage:

I am always secretly thrilled (and nervous!) when someone else does it… Heckling throws a big, honking wrench into that and suddenly — record scratch! — here’s a moment that feels unpredictable. What is going to happen? I also think heckling separates pros from amateurs. It gauges how fast a comic can think: How funny are you really when your back is against the wall?

My reaction to reading this was to nod my head instinctively and think immediately that something very much like this phenomenon is what makes good gospel music … well, good to and for me: watching not just performers but professionals handle the one-unpredictable-thing-and-then-another-unpredictable-thing-ism of genuinely live performance.

I was talking to a gospel-loving friend over the holiday and he ended up at one point regaling me with a story he remembers about watching Gerald Wolfe handle the dreaded dome of silence at the beginning of a NQC set that should have been filled with a band track kicking off (this was back when tracks were new enough that such moments were neither considered routine by audiences nor widely met with a reflex of lame audience banter by front men). My friend positively beamed recalling this event, whose vividness was undimmed after lo these many Louisvilles

We’ve all got these stories, I suspect. They make for the loriest of lore: There’s the one about the Cats back in the 80s coming onstage at one of the outdoor theaters in the old OpryLand just as it clabbers up and rains. George grabs his microphone, shakes the mike chord in front of him as if to clear a space for what’s about to happen, and then growls over to the rest of guys: “gather ‘em up,” and off they go … “I want to thank Jeeeeezzzuuuusss. For the plan of salvayyyyyyshunnn.” And the fleeing crowd stops and turns and stands as if momentarily stunned in the rain, and then they began to move as one, to flow back to the theater and then were gathered unto them as if in a Biblical parable.

This is the live concert analog to handling hecklers.

The live moments we really remember function as revealing tests for performers and audiences: is their favorite singer a sheep or goat on stage? Is he the caliber of talent who has his lines and material down so cold, so naturally, that he has the reserve mental and emotional capacity to establish and then constantly monitor an open line of sensitivity with the room and his audiences, and, using the contant instreaming flow of data from those particularly precise fans, then take the same material, and mold it into distinctly memorable musical moments that match and meet and finally exceed and transform the disparate minds and moods of Molene one night and Marietta the next?

For every magical moment in OpryLand there are a dozen duds and dropped notes and flubbed lines and missed cues and general disappointments. But you pays your money and you takes your chances. Both as a fan and a performer.

From the performer’s perspective, today’s highly digitized style of creation and performance must surely be a lot less stressful than trying to stick the landing of a song with not just two or three other voices (unsupported by backing tracks), but also one or two or four or more instrumentals banging away around you. And as an academic, I see all manner of fascinating questions about how the means of production and consumption change the form and function of the music as a cultural signifier.

As a fan who loves to be lifted out of this life for a moment in gospel music, in that digitally averted risk resides the elusive prize of live performance: when it works, when everybody gets where he or she is supposed to be on time and in tune, without the musical equivalent of photoshop to help things along, when the tonic takes hold and the bass line sets in and the roof lifts and the sky parts and babies fly and folks fall out and others have running fits … well, glory!

I think one source of my latter-day impatience and my love-hate relationship with so much of gospel music is how so many performers arrogate to themselves the perogatives and bearing of a marquee artist who has a proven capacity to gather ‘em up, without actually being able or willing to take on virtually any of the risk associated with authentically live music, without - as it were - being able to handle the hecklers of live gospel performance. Or to quote James Baldwin (himself a serious student of gospel from way back): “One can give nothing whatever without giving oneself—that it is to say, without risking oneself.”

The feeling persists: the gospel group that gets on stage night after every Jesus-lovin’ night and sings from behind the safety of a digitally induced force field essentially asks me to expect something they’re unwilling (and, I suspect, increasingly unable) to give, with the added indignity that everyone is supposed to act like this unlive music has never been livelier.

Southern gospel clearly retains a not insignificant following, and these fans have shown themselves as happy with tracktastic canned bands and vocal tracks as they were when Hamill and the Kingsmen were taking the stage with a six-piece band. And bless their hearts for this loyalty. But whatever it is about the music that both these fans and the performers who sing blood-bought karaoke for them are seeking and finding in this approach, it is not the glorious experience of being gathered up in the unlooked-for good-fortune that comes from a great gospel song imprinted on the memory during a genuinely unrepeatable live-music moment.

Every time I show up to a gospel gig, I arrive thinking and expecting and hoping this time, at last and finally, today I’ll hear something new and live from southern gospel that takes the top of my head off. The last thing I can remember getting all excited about? Hearing the way-back Hemphills on the radio singing, “Gawd Can Change the Picture Overnight.” Perhaps, but even He can’t change the tempo or key or pacing or arrangement of the song on stage once its set in stone of digital band tracks.

Comments

1. CVH wrote:

All good points but the take-away is “the gospel group that gets onstage night after every Jesus-lovin’ night and sings from behind the safety of a digitally induced force field essentially asks me to expect something they’re unwilling (and, I suspect, increasingly unable) to give, with the added indignity that everyone is supposed to act like this unlive music has never been livelier.”

A one-sentence summary of the current state of southern gospel. Nothing more to say. Take the month off; your work here is done.

2. Steven wrote:

“blood washed karaoke”

That is an awesome line!

I love those moments both as a fan and have done some of those types of things at church. It is fun to turn such things around. On what was supposed to be my pastor’s first Sunday at church, he and his wife had already made vacation plans before being assigned to my church. Anyhow, there was a guy filling in as worship leader and of course wasn’t used to running the service.

I had had the choir doing two songs (one near the beginning of the service and one during offering. The worship leader skipped the choir on the first song and went directly to the next thing. I had decided to myself (and had whispered to the choir) that we would do both songs in a row during the offering. The problem was the pianist didn’t catch that the song we were doing for offering was the one we were supposed to do first and didn’t put together what we were doing. She started playing the Doxology as soon as we finished the first song and people started standing up. Now normally I would have gone back to the electric piano and played along with her, but of course I planned on doing two songs. I said something like this:

“This was only a test…had this been an actually doxology you would have been told to stand..” and then went on to explain we were doing the second song first because we had been skipped earlier. :)

4. Tommy G. wrote:

Singing “from behind the safety of a digitally induced force field.” -Love it!

5. musicmannowincountry wrote:

I know I will get a lot of flack for this but- I think Champion of Love totally killed live music in Southern Gospel. Let the debate begin.

6. Phil Boles wrote:

The only instance I recall of a “heckler” was at a GVB concert in Belfast, Northern Ireland about two years ago. After the GVB had opened up with a few “standards”, Bill started to tell us how excited he was that he was in Belfast.

Bill joked that if Elvis hadn’t recorded “He Touched Me”, he wouldn’t have been able to take the GVB across the world. The words “He Touched Me” were not out of his mouth for two seconds when a fellow Northern Irishman yelled out, “Sing it”.

Bill simply looked over at Kevin Williams (who appeared to be controlling the tracks) and half a second later the venue was soon filled with the track of “He Touched Me”.

Smooth and classy!

7. JE Butler wrote:

musicmannowincountry…You make a very valid point, one that I made to a friend recently… Their popularity never dropped, so many others followed; most I am sure by financial necessity.

I heard the CATS the week Roger Bennett was diagnosed (way back) and went to MD Anderson for evaluations. He did not travel that weekend but recorded piano music for them and they had a few tracks - and I think that was the first time I ever saw a group without a piano player. It was a little strange…

JEB

8. Rick56 wrote:

Some interesting moments are recorded on live albums. On one of the Rambos’ live albums recorded back in the early 70’s, Buck Rambo referred (prophetically?) to his first wife: Dottie Rambo. On that same album (or perhaps their other live album recorded a few years later), he said, “You know it’s not easy being the husband to Dottie Rambo.” He was referring to her more versatile ability on the guitar. But, in light of their story marriage, one always pauses when hearing that bit of commentary, recorded live for perpetuity.

9. Rick56 wrote:

stormy marriage, I meant. Sorry.

10. Jeff Crews wrote:

Though I have not seen it in a while, the Gospel singings of my childhood were filled with hecklers, albeit positive ones. The Kingsmen LOVED those kinds of hecklers. Anthony Burger told me one time how many microphones they put in the crowd to record their live albums, and it blew my mind. Listen to “Big and Live” where Hamill is singing Love Lifted Me. He sings the first three words, and a guy in the back hollers, “All right Fat Boy, let’s GO!!!” Live, Naturally is another great example. Kingsmen get to the end of their stand, and Hamill starts telling the folks what a great time they’ve had, and some guy just hollers, “You ain’t ABOUT to quit on us!!”" Hamill turns to Burger and says, “Anthony, go to C.” Then each member sings their favorite hymn. It was magic.

I just remembered a fun incident where a gremlin gets turned around and might even be better than it would have been because of it. I can’t tell you the number of times I played this because of it. It is one of those priceless moments. The GVB is singing “The Old Gospel Ship” and Pierce is singing English’s parts. He forgets words on the second verse and Lowry steps up and saves the day (nailing the solo).

12. bobaran wrote:

I remember two occasions of this type thing and both took place at the annual concert at Meramec Caverns in Missouri (the annual event is held in a huge opening of a cave that is turned into a venue for four day event attracting a thousand southern gospel fans every October). One occasion was years ago when The Talley’s were singing and the PA completely went out in the middle of “Hallelujah, Praise The Lamb.” Kirk Talley, in his professional style never missed a beat. He held the mic down to his side and continued singing the song with obvious passion and emotion. The other two Talley’s joined him and by the end of the song, the entire audience of a thousand people was standing. After that song - the PA still not working, Kirk started in on the chorus of “He is Here.” They sang the song with absolutely no amplification. It sounded beautiful as it echoed inside that big cave. It was outstanding.

The other was when The Lesters started off the evening with an upbeat song - the track kicked off - everyone clapping along through the intro - Ginger Lester started to sing - the mic was not on– she checked the switch - nothing - she switched mics - nothing - she took Brian’s mic - nothing - then the three of them begin to have fun with it as the track continued to play and they began to grab every mic on thage and none of them worked. They began laughing as it became so absurd that none of the many mics on stage would work. The audiance began laughing along. Finally - they stopped the track and allowed time for the sound crew to fix the problem. It had to be frustrating but instead of apperaing frustrated or angry with the sound crew - they handled the disaster with a little playfullness and laughter - classy.

Here are a couple of more. One is when I was a choir member and my predecessor was in charge and the second was the Oak Ridge Boys on live TV.

1. I can’t recall if it were an Easter or Christmas cantata, or what one it was. What I do remember is that the director had recorded midi accompaniments (at least I think it was that and not CD). Nonetheless, it was the last song of the cantata. The power blipped out and the accompaniment stopped. The power came back on and he brought the choir in to sing the last line A Cappella. No one missed a beat and we were all still on key. It was so cool.

The other was somewhat saved after some gremlins. The Oak Ridge Boys were singing “Jesus Was Born Today” on TNN’s Nashville Now. It is a repetitive song and of course not sung year around. I watched this live at the time and immediately knew that Duane had sung the bridge instead of what he was supposed to. Bonsall stays firm and tries to get everyone back to where they needed to be. Richard laughs, I believe Steve was a bit tickled by it too. Finally Duane realizes he had goofed, and they come back in together where they need to be.

I guess that sort of brings to mind the Cathedrals being confused on what verse of “Boundless Love” to do the encore on the Travelin’ Live video. As I recall, Glen sang the first verse instead of second. Danny and Mark sing their lower harmonies on it (the way the first is sung) instead of the next inversion up that they do on the second verse, but still manage to get the key change with Danny taking the lead.

14. Kyle wrote:

The key is not maintain control of the stage. If something goes wrong, you have two options….panic or maintain control.

Just this past week, during morning worship, I started playing the wrong song, but didn’t realize it. The vocalist tried to reel me back in, but I could not for the life of me remember what I was supposed to play.

Rather than panic, I stopped cold and made a joke about our regular guitar player not being there, and started over. It broke the tension, it gave me a chance to kick start my brain, and it allowed everyone a chuckle. Moreover, it kept me in charge of the stage. Sure, I goofed, and I let everyone laugh at it without letting then go.

15. Sensible wrote:

Once at an outdoor singing the city had an ordinance that the all singing had to stopped by 11:00pm. A group was up singing and finishing their big song right at the 11:00pm mark and ending the concert. They had already encored the song several times. They finished. The hecklers screamed “Sing it again!” The emcee explained the ordinance and asked the audience, “Do you want to pay the fine?” One heckler screamed, “Hell yeah! We’ll pay it!” The group encored it one more time.

Classic!

Kyle’s comment reminded me of something J.D. said. He said there were times he failed to hit a note he wanted to hit, but instead of getting all torn up about would joke with something like “you think you can do better? If so, come up here and we can sing a duet”. He said he had never entirely failed to hit a note he tried to hit. I believe he had said he might have had to try up to 5 times to get it, but he eventually would.

17. irishlad wrote:

Who doesn’t remember JD’s immortal words when he was “heckled” by a crying baby at a live concert with BB and SMQ…”i thought it was a baby crying,but it was Big Chief”
    Classic :)

18. nber wrote:

Not as dramatic, but remember Ed Hill forgetting the words on the Live and Alive album by the Singing Americans or Roy Acuff introducing the Statesmen instead of the Kingsmen on Stand Up at Opryland USA?

Dove Brothers Band… are they REALLY the only Top 10 Group going with NO STACKS or TRACKS at ALL!?!?!?

Funny NONE of the others want to take the Dove Brothers Challenge!!!

That’s REALLY SAD!!! So Kingdom Heirs, TriAmp Boys, Gold City, Inspos, GVB, EHSS. Brian Free, Kingsman, Old Paths, Hoppers, Perrys or anybody else want to GO!?!?!?

Don’t worry about Booth’s they been working with Keith Green and not even singing their SGM Sig Songs!!! Something about trying to sing spanish with KG!!! ha ha yeah that is what the BB do!!! Sing Spanish

Legacy 4… not 5 any more!!! McKameys & InLaws!!! ANYBODY!?!?!?

20. Matt G. wrote:

#19 I always assumed the Roy Acuff introduction of the Kingsmen as the Statesmen was on purpose. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing the first time I heard it.

21. Bryce wrote:

It took me a few minutes to come up with Steve Green to erase the mental image of a deceased, curly-haired CCM artist seated onstage (a la Weekend At Bernie’s) while The Booth Brothers sing “Still Feelin’ Fine.”

I’ll assume that Fowler’s not taking a cue from Les Beasley to improve the group’s sound, so who remains with Legacy Five, Wade?

22. William Boen wrote:

#19 Keith Greene has been dead for years.

23. Bones wrote:

Isn’t Keith Green dead?

24. irishlad wrote:

somehow i doubt Wade meant that Keith Green,what in the name of all that’s holy would he have anything in common with Sg ? ffs.

25. Alan wrote:

And how about the legendary time when a guy in the second row kept jumping up and down trying to get JD’s attention, through a few songs. Finally ole JD asked him what on earth he wanted. The guy asks “Do you know ‘How Great Thou Art’?” and Sumner, without missing a beat, said “Of course I do, but I rarely talk about it.

26. Fundie wrote:

L4, Wade?? Do tell.

Yes sorry gang Steve Green, I remembered Keith Green and I know another personally… my bad but everything else I said was true… has anybody else saw the STEVE GREEN and Booth Bros Package Shows!!?!? AWKWARD!!

So nobody up for the Dove Brothers Band CHALLENGE!?!?!?

As far as L-5 I was not beating them up at all but since Roger is gone is it fair to call them L-5??? Trey is a great player but is he really a legacy player… with Roger being gone they out of respect for him just like when the Kingsmen retired the name out of RESPECT for FOXIE 9 (hahahahah if you EVER think THAT was what THAT was about …haha)

If you folks want to say they have other performers who aren’t exactly LEGACY that is for you to decide. What do you think Bryce and Fundie!?!?!?

Calling all Groups you ready for The Dove Brothers Band CHALLENGE!?!?!

I don’t remember but I might have been pulling a irishlad when I wrote Keith Green and I was have a flash back with some Irish Whiskey!!!

29. Aaron Swain wrote:

I’m going to go ahead and guess that Wade’s “L4″ quip doesn’t have anything to do with a personnel change, but is more of a comment that there is not an emcee figure on the piano bench anymore. Trey Ivey, though a talented player, does not fill a Roger Bennett role in the group, and instead leaves the emcee work to Scott Fowler and plays a supporting accompanist role to the four vocalists.

30. musicmannowincountry wrote:

Wade?????? Do not keep us Waiting.

31. gina wrote:

All the questions about L4… heck, I want to know about McKameys & InLaws. What’s up with that? Come back, Wade!!

32. McCray wrote:

Well to answer questions before they are asked . The Dove Brothers Band will not be at NQC this year. We were brought up at there meeting and how much we would sing for two nights in others words we told them how much that we would come for and the answer was they would just keep the line up the way it was . Trust me when I say it can’t be the money ! I know somebody will ask so this is what I was told !

Aaron… you know me so well after years of being on here together!!!

musicmannowincountry — what are you waiting on???

gina– McKameys are family… there are the women, poor Ruben he has to be able crazy traveling with all those women for years… but the inlaws part was mostly about their UBER talented guitar player, Roger Fortner!!!

Don’t understand what y’all were fishing for but it was probable a result of SLOW MODERATION!!!

So NOBODY UP for The Dove Brothers Band Challenge!?!?!? Kinda like the old Battle of the Songs!?!?!

That’s REALLY sad all you groups that read this and too chicken to do it!! I did get a text from one group today WORKING on it… but think the NO STACKS & NO TRACKS will end up getting most groups!!! SAD, SAD, SAD!!

Can remember a day the Kingsmen, Gold City, Hemphills, Freemans and the Hensons would have wanted some of that action!!!

34. Fundie wrote:

Well I was surprised at the pick of Trey Ivey, but at the same time, I understand the need to move away from that era. legacy five is just a name and it started with 2 former Cathedrals members and 3 other men. Now there are 1. No big deal.

As to the Dove Brothers, NQC is looking to whether a group can draw enough people to justify paying the extra $$ demanded. If the DB would play for the same amount as say, the Kingsmen, they would be there. Not saying they should, just that they could.

35. Chris Henry wrote:

Alright, McCray. I’ll take the challenge! Henry Family is ready to go toe to toe - that would be so fun to sing with you guys again. Oh, btw, I’ll need you guys to pick up the airfare :)

36. Bones wrote:

#21, HA!HA! Keith Green singing, Still feelin’ fine.

37. Ode wrote:

Wadey,lovie,not tryin to teach a fish to swim, God forbid,you are a pro in the biz, but can I safely presume you are getting paid nicely for pushing DBB this aggressively? Last time I was pimping someone in this manner – annoyingly pestering my boss and the team lead about hiring a Data Analyst, whom I am friends with – was for a standard in our cheapskate industry 3K hiring bonus. And us IT folk are dime a dozen, but you are selling The artIsts!

Keep in mind how the copper wire was invented - two jewish guys performing on stage found a penny at the same time - so I know a brainy wiz like my Wadey knows the value of cash!

I better soon hear you got a new Corvette, a boat, and major lifestyle boost -everything, just stop short of a new alimony order- off those great Doves boys.

38. Ode wrote:

17,Ha :) that was reprised to clean up the original version of the incident. In the more prosaic reality JD, self-admittedly a womanizer well known for scattering his seed around a lot, went on the defensive realizing that woman brought a baby to his concert “That baby is not mine, it must be Big Chief’s! Don’t you hear? it’s vocal range is much higher then mine ”

22. amen! The only dead Jew who can sing with a band would be the already resurrected one ,and KG isn’t yet.
    Considering the state of SG’s moral decay under the guise of pomptious pretense it’s safe to say that when most bands went in, Jesus has already left the building ;)

39. Ode wrote:

and great opening post ,Doug.You know I love you and to be sincere…. it’s sad you cant find something to your liking anymore in this genre, but I know we cant give our heart the orders.There are some great, fabulously orchestrated white gospel songs being released, and some very nice vocal arrangements, at least to my taste…

40. RF wrote:

Those GVB and ORB clips were fantastic!

Ode — I just believe in the Dove Brothers Band and with out a doubt they are THE BEST thing going.

Everybody else is doing Karaoke, while The Dove Brother Band is doing it RIGHT playing with a GUN while everybody else is bringing knives!!!

The mere fact NOBODY has seriously taken the challenge just proves EVERYBODY else is content to do their thing and be very complacent to keep doing what they are doing and not interested in advancing the music only to the extent they can push the evangelistic button to get a cheap POP!!

But hey if MD wants to buy me a car I am for that!!!

42. DLP wrote:

I agree with Wade!
    Personally I think it’s all politics with the NQC board. I know I’m going to get blasted from some and I’m sure when I attend some event that some of the board members are at I won’t get the friendly greetings as before. LOL

WoW somebody agrees with me… THANKS DLP!!!!

BUT STILL NO TAKERS ON THE DOVE BROTHERS BAND CHALLENGE!!!

44. DLP wrote:

Hey Wade…what can I say? When you’re right your’re right! By the way, what kind of car do you want? Matchbox or Hotwheels?

45. sgfan wrote:

I was talking to a friend of mine who pretty much thinks SG is boring (he is a phenomenal musician). He said that many times there is just a lack of creativity and a lack of musicians.

With the concerts he’s been to he said: So they will sing the song, audience claps, guy walks back to the computer, presses button, music goes back to the 2nd verse, and repeat. Nothing different

46. McCray wrote:

Hey SGFAN tell your friend to come and check out one of our shows ! If he thinks our show is boring I will give him his money back ! If he’s honest ! Lol

47. Bones wrote:

#46, Is that what they are? Shows?

Oh MD… you have liars like weber who will say ANYTHING!!!!

STILL…STILL… STILL NO takers for The Dove Brothers Band CHALLENGE!!!

Can ANY GROUP maybe even put together a NO STACKS NO TRACKS & a Band for like 1 SHOW!?!?!? I mean GVB Should be able to!!! Let’s have a LITTLE FUN!!!

Yes BONES they are SHOWS!!!!… they are SHOWS for EVERY GROUP!!! Anybody that says other wise is lying.

The Lord does not MOVE in the same place on every show every night!!! But the very groups who have to PLAY the evangelistic card seemingly miraculously have The Lord move in the same place EVERY NIGHT!!!

Not bashing Peg, but do you think the Lord moved her to kick off her shoes at the same place EVERY NIGHT for a few YEARS!?!?!? …. NO… but fans come from ALL over to see her do it and she did not want to let them down!! Heck if I go to see them and she does not I AM DISAPPOINTED. Now I did get tired of seeing her swing her hanky in a circle often!!!

Now one that I WILL BASH on is VESTAL… because the goodmans are the ones credited with the evangelistic movement and thus creating the downward spiral of SGM did not get HEALED night after night after night on the 2nd verse of God Walks the Dark Hills!!!

YES it is a SHOW and SOME GOOD SHOWS… if it was not entertaining WHO would GO!?!?!?

52. McCray wrote:

Oh my bad sgfan tell your friend come out to one of our services, revivals, camp meetings , Praise Fest , Praise Gatherings , Whorship Tours , or Gospel concerts ! If he still thinks its boring I will give him his money back ! If he’s honest ! Lol

53. pj wrote:

#11 — Do you know anymore about this video? When was it? Was Pierce filling in? Brand new? Been around for awhile and just forgot the words? I really wasn’t familiar with the GVB back then.
    Thanks!

54. Bob wrote:

This article seems appropriate here (perhaps deserving of it’s own post) (h/t Drudge)

“Miming will be the death of live music performance”:

It’s about Beyonce lip-syncing at the inaugural, but it could apply to many of the southern gospel concerts that I’ve been to. I loved this quote from the article:

“The possibility that something might go wrong not only gives the performance an edge but drives artists to even greater heights. Time and again I have heard singers talk about transcendent moments that occur live, when the holy spirit comes down and they hit notes they didn’t even know they had in them. That is the live contract.”

True, that.

#53 It is from a Gaither Homecoming Video (I don’t recall which one off of the top of my hand, but think it might have been Sing Your Blues Away). Jonathan Pierce had been a member for at least a year when this was filmed. It looks like fairly soon after Guy joined.

Jonathan was with the vocal band around a year with Buddy Mullins on the lead before Penrod joined. I have no idea on how often or if that song was staged before this point, so I don’t know if he had just learned it, it was new to the stage while he was a member, or he just had a brain fade. I am glad Gaither left this on the video instead of re-cutting the song.

56. Ode wrote:

41,
    Wadele, I thought you were moonlighting for them as a promoter or such, darling. (yes, I fully ignored that crazy itch promoter LBC calling you “a used car salesman people need to keep away from” as her dad ,whose identity she is unsure of, supposedly taught her) ;)

You don’t have a stake in it and yet make every post, with rare exceptions, about DBB? Would be nice if McCray acknowledged your existence and devotion with at least one short “thanks, wade”, for his own image sake ;)

44, DLP,thats all their cash they’ve got on hand? Enuf for a toy car set? :D i didn know things were THAT bad in SG industry .

Ode —- McCray is a dick, like Ernie& Gerald who does not appreciate any thing unless it is making Him or BURMAN Money!!! lololol :-)

I just know WHOM else can GO with The Dove Brothers Band with a NO STACKS & NO TRACK SHOW… I mean I do not think Brian Free & Ass. could do a show unless they had the sound to 13 outta 10 and their (s)tracks… but I love to hear them… hell Ricky does not even play with them any more!!!

I just know WHO can GO and WHO CAN’T!!!!

58. irishlad wrote:

52 i’m all for a bit of Whorshiping…sounds like fun :-)

59. DLP wrote:

56. Ode…sweet cheeks…you obviously have no clue about the true nature of this business. Thanks for the chuckle.

Now, drumroll please….A link to two videos that show the current Dove Brothers Band. No tracks, No stacks, just live band and real singing.

Thanks DLP… I have goose bumps ALL over me!!! No Wonder NOBODY wants to take The Dove Brother Band Challenge!!

Are there any more videos from this concert!?!!?

61. observer wrote:

Saw the new Dixie Echoes recently and got to say they are one group still doing it right. They actually performed some new songs that were fantastic. New piano player has made their music so much fuller. 100 times better than prior piano player.

62. DLP wrote:

Hey Wade…this is the compilation I did. I kept getting bumped so I had to piece them together to remove as much of the shaky I could. At least it isn’t seizure inducing.

Thanks DLP!!!

64. Joy wrote:

Heard BFA with Ricky on drums, Matthew Holt on keys, and 1 or 2 people on guitars. They rocked.

Joy… make sure they know about The Dove Brothers Band Challenge!!! I bet they still ran Stacks & Tracks behind it!!

66. Joy wrote:

Yes they did. :)

Is the DBB challenge for real or just from you?

67. McCray wrote:

Years ago a promoter in TX use to call his shows ” The Battle of Songs” ! Artists would each do there set then the second half would be the Battle ! Each artist would Pick there best song and battle it out ! I threw the challenge out on this thread for fun but I think it would be fun to do again and I guess Wade does as well !

The Dove Brothers Band Challenge is FOR REAL just like they are… REAL!!!!

Oh McCray… one last rule… on the BATTLE… JUST SINGING NO PREACHING!!!

That’s SINGING and REAL PICKIN’ no STACKS No Tracks!!!

Considering how competitive most of the groups are and some of the DIRTY ASS things I have seen done for one group to get UP over on the other I can’t believe nobody has THE GUTS to take THE CHALLENGE!!!

I know the groups are hearing about it because of my email from different groups asking for clarification and if it is for REAL!!!

IT’S REAL but most of the playing and a GREAT DEAL of the SINGIN’ from ALL the OTHER GROUPS ARE NOT!!!

Shame Shame!!!

70. Joy wrote:

I agree with Wade. There’s a lot of dirty, underhanded tactics group use, but when you tell them to put their money where their mouth is, there is deathly silence.

71. ode wrote:

59,Those are excellent videos, I loved the Simon and Garf. song’s rendition and the other ones absolutely great.

you are right, I dont know the true nature of this business, do enlighten a little if you have a moment.

“DLPollard” - are you Lynn by chance ? (waving)Hi, Lynn! I do remember, when we last spoke you were bravely tackling some heavy theology classes at Lib. Uni. Have you granduated or not yet? :)

72. DLP wrote:

Hey Ode…Yes…that’s me. I’m still working on it. I am suppose to finish Fall semester this year. Yippee!

As for enlightening you…I’ll leave that up to others. I just know what I’ve seen and it’s not a highly paid industry for the majority.

73. McCray wrote:

Like Big Jim would say , Singing is like my Grandpa use to say ! It’s chicken one week feathers the next ! Lol I sure do miss ole Jim !

I miss Jim too he is one of my Hero’s!!! He taught me MUCH about CROWD Control & learned that a ROOM WILL TALK TO YOU IF ONLY YOU WILL LISTEN!!!

Use it for even working a secular crowd. In fact most secular crowds are easier to control than most sgm crowds!!!

75. irishlad wrote:

Hey Ode baby Re 59: told you Ole Burman was the fat dog’s plums :)

76. Ode wrote:

:) Great,Lynn, good luck. You are almost there!

What do you mean “I’ll leave it up to others” ? Legs feed the wolf, or in your case, tongue feeds the almost degree-armed Christian counselor. You should be able to talk yourself and others of any situation at any time, not leave it up to others :D

On a serious note- yes, music was always tought business to be in, I presume, for majority of musicians of any genre. Competition is too high.
    My fav part is always baritone, Ilad, but ol Port is good, nice ‘n velvety bass.